Jump to topic:

CNN SC Primary Debate

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 8:57:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Debate just finished. What are your thoughts with two days before the polls?

I personally feel the atmosphere has severely changed. With Perry out, the debate was far more focused.

Further analysis to follow...
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:22:22 PM
As stated above, we can clearly see a change in the atmosphere of the Primary race. Romney is getting hit, and getting hit hard. The news that he in fact lost Iowa has pushed him back in the eyes of the voters. Stepping up with renewed strength are Santorum and Gingrich, who were obviously the biggest players in tonight's debate.

So let's begin with Romney, "The Front Runner" as CNN dubbed him. Romney performed well, but is losing his shine. The issue now is that without the double-win, he's gone from "Likely Winner" to "The Moderate". In this race, that is not enough. He and Gingrich switched roles from the previous SC debate, and I would say that Romney did not do enough to shine through or improve his position. This is costly, because he no longer has that double-win going! He sided frequently with his opponents tonight, settling for their answers rather than offering his own insight. It made me think he was trying to avoid anything that would make him decisive from the rest, but it looks dull.

Bear in mind that Romney took very hard hits. Not only did Gingrich blast him in the tax issue, CNN did as well in pressing the question about his father. I thought this was out of character (as were many approaches played by CNN - King was trying to be a debater himself rather than moderator), but it also hurt Romney once again. Over all, Romney did enough not to completely fall, but the attitude is changing. Santorum and Gingrich went on the offensive with his "flip-flopping", and Santorum more than anyone proved to damage Romney the most.

One strong benefit to Romney, however, was he shifted the focus to Obama. I found it humorous in my analysis from the other night, I mentioned I was disappointed they weren't hitting issues "in general". That is to say that they were restricting the issues amongst themselves. Romney has begun an important process which is to remind voters why they make a good candidate against Obama, and not against the other candidates. After all, they're all Republicans.

Back tracking, let's look at Santorum. Santorum had an incredible night. After the news of Iowa, he was determined to level Romney, and he did quite the job. Santorum focused on a middle-class approach, which is crucial to the general election. He reminded viewers that he is not Gingrich the DC Boy, nor Romney the Business Bulldozer, nor Paul the Radical. He was focused on issues that were realistic and to the point. He was quick to offer real solutions, and had quick responses that were backed with support. I have to say, as much as I dislike Santorum, he is shaping up as a strong candidate.

Santorum has many advantages at the moment. With Perry gone, he is closest to a relatable candidate, especially for the Republican party. I think we'll see increasing momentum with Santorum, but the issue comes down to who will decisively beat Romney. Although Santorum has done great recently, we have to look at Newt as well.

Gingrich is playing very level-headed. He is not trying too hard, nor is he backing down. He handled his wife's attack quite well - after all, fidelity is becoming a decreasing issue in politics. Gingrich is still playing the Tea Party card, and could be arguably the most "Republican conservative" we have. However, I think this debate was challenging for him. No doubt he performed better than the Fox debate earlier this week, but he took more hits here. Santorum was quick - as usual - to point out hypocrisy of Gingrich and Romney's parts. Gingrich also struggled with the amnesty question. In fact, anytime Gingrich was a lead-in on a question I noticed he performed weaker.

Gingrich did a good job at pointing out his political experience, but overall I say Santorum performed better. With that experience comes more targets for attack, and Santorum did not hesitate at pointing anything out. Gingrich can hope to keep most of his votes, I think. Bear in mind, however, that Gingrich's "idealism" will come under fire by a far more "realistic" Santorum. In this case, the junior had the upper hand over the senior.

Lastly, Ron Paul. Ron Paul did better than the previous debate, but is still too timid, and too nervous. He cannot pull his ideas together and this is hurting. I understand the benefits to many proposals, but he cannot expect more support if he can't make them LOOK appealing. The issue I especially have is that he was hardly even attacked, and yet his arguments would always come off as very weak. Ron Paul can expect to struggle as a result, and I will not be surprised by a fourth-place finish in Iowa. Unless he can miraculously improve going toe-to-toe with the other candidates, he'll be demanding more drop-of-the-hat fundraisers to survie the primaries.

One very disappointing thing about this debate was, admittedly, was ignoring Ron Paul. Although not a strong speaker, CNN was not focusing anything towards him, except when the audience demanded it. In fact, cameras were hardly on him, otherwise I'd just say he never bothered to "shake his head" or "raise a finger" but I don't really know. Although I don't think it would have helped, it points out something big: CNN was questionable in this debate.

In some ways, it's good they had loaded questions against candidates so we can better assess them. However, this is not their responsibility. They very much controlled attacks by means of questioning, and John King looked for flaws in arguments himself. Multiple times, you could see him trying to get the Republicans to admit against their own ideals - but it hardly ever worked.

So, finally, the candidates did far better than earlier this week. Without Rick Perry, we can see the atmosphere getting incredibly strong this round. The focus is being put back on the general election, and now these candidates are finding better ways to define themselves against Obama.

Here is my ranking of the performances: Santorum, Gingrich, Romney, Paul.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:25:44 PM
I meant "fourth place finish in SC" in the Paul section. Probably other mistakes too, but hopefully not too many...

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:26:25 PM
Thanks for the thread. I didn't get a chance to see the debate.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:34:07 PM
Gingrich absolutely destroyed the moderator in the first 5 mins of the debate. lol
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:34:43 PM
My parents where mean and didn't let me see it
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:36:50 PM
At 1/19/2012 9:34:07 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Gingrich absolutely destroyed the moderator in the first 5 mins of the debate. lol

Gingrich was smart and used the audience to his advantage, but the question made sense. It would've come up in any debate, but Gingrich used his base to help him out. I felt bad, because John King wanted to justify it, but it wasn't his place. That moment was the only time I think the question was justified, but later on, King was a little off base.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:37:26 PM
At 1/19/2012 9:34:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I forget how young we all are sometimes... lol

vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:40:51 PM
At 1/19/2012 9:37:26 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 1/19/2012 9:34:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I forget how young we all are sometimes... lol

lol xD!
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:49:38 PM
I thought Mitt Romney handled the attacks well. He was quick to respond and always pointed out what was wrong about the attacks. Rarely, did the attackers respond back. The mistake he made was at the beginning; when he was questioned about Newt Gingriches 'open marriage.' He should have voiced his family values and strong character. Another thing I noticed about Romney, is that he seems to be "sucking up" to Ron Paul. I think it is a good strategy, as Ron Paul supporters are devout and will support whoever Ron Paul endorses.

I think Newt Gingrich is making a living, so to speak, out of attacking the moderators of the debates. He is getting massive media attention from that tactic. I guess he follows the policy of any media attention is better then no media attention. Like Torres, I think he failed miserably responding to the immigration question. He was trying to claim voters by saying he wouldn't deport their parents, grandparents or whatever. However, the presentation of that position was weak and Santorum jabbed him a good one for it.

Ron Paul is a horribly weak debater... He even said in the debate that he needs to speak with more conviction.

Rick Santorum is undoubtedly trying to establish himself as the true conservative candidate. I think he did well attacking Newt Gingrich on multiple instances. Which is a good strategy since he wants to establish himself as the only true conservative in the race. He also made me feel like he was a strong character guy, I just got that vibe.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:10:16 PM
Tonight's debate was unlike any of the previous ones. As the night wore on, it increasingly resembled kind of a political version of a war crimes tribunal: Rick Santorum was the chief prosecutor, and the other three candidates were in the dock. Santorum repeatedly challenged the conservative credentials of his foes, particularly Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich. They then defended themselves, but they didn't bother to counter-attack Santorum on his own credentials. As a result, Santorum was always on the offensive, which is a good thing in a debate, because the burden remains on the defender. At best, the defenders didn't get scored against; at worst, they lost points.

Clearly, Santorum was in the spotlight, and had opportunities to display his confidence and rhetorical skill. On some issues, Gingrich and Romney defended themselves well: Romney was particularly effective in defending his pro-life record as governor. On other issues, Santorum may have scored points. Romney vigorously defended himself against the attacks on Romneycare--this time one of his opponents had done research on it--but he may have lost points. Gingrich did not defend his own support of the individual mandate very well.

But the central issue facing Santorum is that his numbers have been in free fall. Voters seeking an alternative to Romney have seen Gingrich well ahead of Santorum in the polls, and they have been defecting from Santorum in large numbers. Can a strong debate performance by Santorum reverse that? It's too late. The only question is to what extent Santorum can staunch the bleeding. He may be aided by the Gingrich ex-wife scandal, but its effect cannot yet be measured.

In fact, the debate moderator decided to open the debate by asking Gingrich about the allegations made by his second ex-wife that Gingrich had asked her for an open marriage. Gingrich was in top form as he denounced CNN for opening a presidential debate in such a way. The crowd rose to its feet and gave him a standing ovation as he vented long-felt frustrations that conservatives have about the liberal media. Gingrich has frequently criticized moderators in past debates, and this one served as a perfect target.

...On the other hand, one can't help but remember how the debate audience also cheered Herman Cain when he denied his own sex scandal during a debate. They applauded Cain, and a few weeks later they completely abandoned him.

Otherwise, Gingrich was fairly unremarkable. Aside from his standout moment at the beginning of the debate, it was probably one of his weaker performances.

Romney's performance was mixed. Frequently, Romney was strong, and he served red meat to the base in defending capitalism and free enterprise. He easily waved aside questions about Bain Capital, and his opponents saw fit to the let the matter rest. Romney was weaker when asked about releasing his tax returns. At first, it seemed that Romney would get a pass: Of the four candidates on stage, only Gingrich had released his returns. Ron Paul and Santorum expressed no plans to release theirs, and Romney said he would release his in April. But when the moderator asked Romney if he would follow in his father's footsteps by releasing many years' worth of returns, Romney was taken by surprise, answering, "Maybe." He was evasive, and the moment may ruin an otherwise solid night for him, as it presents an interesting sound-bite for the media to replay.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:12:21 PM
Here are the latest polls:

01/19 WeAskAmerica -- Gingrich 32, Romney 28, Paul 13, Santorum 9
01/18 Reuters -- Romney 35, Gingrich 23, Santorum 15, Paul 13
01/18 ARG -- Gingrich 33, Romney 32, Paul 19, Santorum 9
01/18 Rasmussen -- Gingrich 33, Romney 31, Paul 15, Santorum 11
01/18 PPP (D) -- Gingrich 34, Romney 28, Paul 15, Santorum 14
01/18 Insider Adv -- Gingrich 32, Romney 29, Paul 15, Santorum 11
01/18 Tarrance (R) -- Romney 37, Gingrich 30, Paul 11, Santorum 10
01/17 NBC/Marist -- Romney 31, Gingrich 26, Paul 17, Santorum 13
01/17 CNN/Time -- Romney 33, Gingrich 23, Santorum 16, Paul 13
01/17 InsightLLC -- Gingrich 29, Romney 24, Santorum 16, Paul 14

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:18:30 PM
At 1/19/2012 10:10:16 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Tonight's debate was unlike any of the previous ones. As the night wore on, it increasingly resembled kind of a political version of a war crimes tribunal: Rick Santorum was the chief prosecutor, and the other three candidates were in the dock. Santorum repeatedly challenged the conservative credentials of his foes, particularly Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich. They then defended themselves, but they didn't bother to counter-attack Santorum on his own credentials. As a result, Santorum was always on the offensive, which is a good thing in a debate, because the burden remains on the defender. At best, the defenders didn't get scored against; at worst, they lost points.

Clearly, Santorum was in the spotlight, and had opportunities to display his confidence and rhetorical skill. On some issues, Gingrich and Romney defended themselves well: Romney was particularly effective in defending his pro-life record as governor. On other issues, Santorum may have scored points. Romney vigorously defended himself against the attacks on Romneycare--this time one of his opponents had done research on it--but he may have lost points. Gingrich did not defend his own support of the individual mandate very well.

But the central issue facing Santorum is that his numbers have been in free fall. Voters seeking an alternative to Romney have seen Gingrich well ahead of Santorum in the polls, and they have been defecting from Santorum in large numbers. Can a strong debate performance by Santorum reverse that? It's too late. The only question is to what extent Santorum can staunch the bleeding. He may be aided by the Gingrich ex-wife scandal, but its effect cannot yet be measured.

In fact, the debate moderator decided to open the debate by asking Gingrich about the allegations made by his second ex-wife that Gingrich had asked her for an open marriage. Gingrich was in top form as he denounced CNN for opening a presidential debate in such a way. The crowd rose to its feet and gave him a standing ovation as he vented long-felt frustrations that conservatives have about the liberal media. Gingrich has frequently criticized moderators in past debates, and this one served as a perfect target.

...On the other hand, one can't help but remember how the debate audience also cheered Herman Cain when he denied his own sex scandal during a debate. They applauded Cain, and a few weeks later they completely abandoned him.

Otherwise, Gingrich was fairly unremarkable. Aside from his standout moment at the beginning of the debate, it was probably one of his weaker performances.

Romney's performance was mixed. Frequently, Romney was strong, and he served red meat to the base in defending capitalism and free enterprise. He easily waved aside questions about Bain Capital, and his opponents saw fit to the let the matter rest. Romney was weaker when asked about releasing his tax returns. At first, it seemed that Romney would get a pass: Of the four candidates on stage, only Gingrich had released his returns. Ron Paul and Santorum expressed no plans to release theirs, and Romney said he would release his in April. But when the moderator asked Romney if he would follow in his father's footsteps by releasing many years' worth of returns, Romney was taken by surprise, answering, "Maybe." He was evasive, and the moment may ruin an otherwise solid night for him, as it presents an interesting sound-bite for the media to replay.

My first thought was, wow, you didn't pull something off of Elephant Watcher. Then I tried this: https://www.google.com...=
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:23:16 PM
I noticed plenty of bickering between Santorum, Gingrich, and Romney, with Paul often pushed to the side to get a few words in at the end, almost ignored for the abortion question until the audience interfered. He stood his ground on all of his points, emphasizing bringing the troops back home, and even got a slight attack on Santorum's stance on government and medicine after Santorum blasted Romney for Romneycare and Gingrich for the individual mandate.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:53:29 PM
At 1/19/2012 10:18:30 PM, mongoose wrote:

My first thought was, wow, you didn't pull something off of Elephant Watcher. Then I tried this: https://www.google.com...=

Off course it was from Elephant Watcher that is the most accurate site there is.

PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:54:59 PM
At 1/19/2012 10:18:30 PM, mongoose wrote:

HAHA that's hilarious. I was thinking the same thing
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 9:00:23 AM
@History

We don't need plagiarizing in this thread! At least just post the link, if you're gonna simply use someone's analysis. Least I wrote mine. I mean, come on. Seriously? lol

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:36:07 AM
That was by far, no question, the best debate of the GOP primary. I'm nearly speechless (which is a big deal). Might as well get it out of the way. Ron Paul was by far the winner and it wasn't even close. He was sharp, he took his shots, and he ate his critics for dinner. If there's such a thing as a perfect debate Ron Paul just pulled it off. Romney started really strong then shot himself in the foot after defending his record with government run healthcare. The Gingrich people showed their hand by booing Romney for not releasing his tax returns. Gingrich went full bore grandiose politician and made himself look like more of a narcissist than we all knew he was. He gained nothing by this and Santorum did a great job of dragging him down. Santorum went up a notch with me due to his well intentioned attacks on Romney and Gingrich. Going after Paul on abortion was a huge mistake but that's just a rookie mistake. All in all I'm blown away by how well Paul did last night. It will be very difficult for the MSM to spin it and I hope it has an influence on the polls.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 6:50:27 PM
At 1/20/2012 9:00:23 AM, M.Torres wrote:
@History

We don't need plagiarizing in this thread! At least just post the link, if you're gonna simply use someone's analysis. Least I wrote mine. I mean, come on. Seriously? lol

It was a mistake I forgot to post the link.

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 6:52:14 PM
At 1/20/2012 11:36:07 AM, Reasoning wrote:
That was by far, no question, the best debate of the GOP primary. I'm nearly speechless (which is a big deal). Might as well get it out of the way. Ron Paul was by far the winner and it wasn't even close. He was sharp, he took his shots, and he ate his critics for dinner. If there's such a thing as a perfect debate Ron Paul just pulled it off. Romney started really strong then shot himself in the foot after defending his record with government run healthcare. The Gingrich people showed their hand by booing Romney for not releasing his tax returns. Gingrich went full bore grandiose politician and made himself look like more of a narcissist than we all knew he was. He gained nothing by this and Santorum did a great job of dragging him down. Santorum went up a notch with me due to his well intentioned attacks on Romney and Gingrich. Going after Paul on abortion was a huge mistake but that's just a rookie mistake. All in all I'm blown away by how well Paul did last night. It will be very difficult for the MSM to spin it and I hope it has an influence on the polls.

The winner is usually decided by the first poll after that which is this:

01/19 Clemson -- Gingrich 32, Romney 26, Paul 11, Santorum 9

mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 7:26:38 PM
At 1/20/2012 11:36:07 AM, Reasoning wrote:

They'll do what they always do: mostly ignore paul and focus almost entirely on Gingrich and Romney.