Jump to topic:

Call for Google to Police Conspiracy Theories

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 3:51:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Former fellow of George Soros' Open Society and current Stanford University scholar Evgeny Morozov has called on Google and other search engines to become thought crime enforcers, by providing warnings about websites that contain "conspiracy theories" such as the belief, held by a majority of Americans, that global warming is not primarily man-made."
-- http://www.prisonplanet.com...

Even if you don't agree with or believe in conspiracy theories you simply have to, in your right mind, be opposed to and infuriated by this.

I might disagree with mainline Christianity, but that doesn't mean I believe there should be a thought police policing the Internet from Christian websites.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 4:17:26 AM
At 1/24/2012 3:51:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Former fellow of George Soros' Open Society and current Stanford University scholar Evgeny Morozov has called on Google and other search engines to become thought crime enforcers, by providing warnings about websites that contain "conspiracy theories" such as the belief, held by a majority of Americans, that global warming is not primarily man-made."
-- http://www.prisonplanet.com...

Even if you don't agree with or believe in conspiracy theories you simply have to, in your right mind, be opposed to and infuriated by this.

I might disagree with mainline Christianity, but that doesn't mean I believe there should be a thought police policing the Internet from Christian websites.

I don't think it's something we have to take seriously (yet).

I can understand the good intentions upon which this segue to fascism and knowledge control as built, but I don't think it's within the purpose of a research tool to present opinions on results. The fact is that global warming is majority man-made. If anyone has taken the time to review the science behind the assertion, then they'd agree. It's not sensible to tell someone what to think because they're gullible or ill-informed. I would figure that search engines have less authority than many of the results they provide.

On the other hand, companies like Google are way ahead of him, but they apply a much more pragmatic approach. Rather than establishing opinions about the conclusions drawn in websites, they filter websites based on the rigorousness of the information -- in other words, if it's a peer reviewed academic journal from a university, it's more likely to come up higher in search results, given more credence, or may even be presented in Google Scholar exclusively, rather than in the primary search engine.

This was a rather large controversy, particularly last summer, when so many information companies (like eHow, Squidoo, WhiseGeek, etc.) were threatened to lose their presence on the first page of search results, and as a result, many Google employees visited several online corporations as consultants to help them present themselves in a way that Google takes seriously, and thus presents higher in search results, or with the suggestion of greater authority.

As another example, if there's an article that's incomplete or inaccurate on Wikipedia, rather than state that information is or isn't biased or accurate, it simply states that the article lacks substantive support or is presented in an untrustworthy way.

In this way, Morozov's demand is essentially extraneous.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 10:32:08 AM
lol, I liked this response:

"Like if someone were to Google Slate Morozov should a banner come up warning about possible Fascist opinions?"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:27:17 PM
Lmao @ these comments from that Prison Planet article:

"Hey ‘New World Order' Puppet-Whore Pieces Of Sh!t…GO FU&% YOURSELVES!!!"

"Hey Illuminati Luciferian Satanic Devil Worshipping SCUMBAGS…GO TO HELL!!!"

"Hey DEMON WITCHES OF HOLLYWOOD…EAT SH!T & DIE!!!"

"HEY GEORGE SOROS…YOUR MOTHER WAS THE WH0RE OF BABYLON AND YOUR FATHER LICKS SATAN'S BALLS!!!"

NEVER FORGET: '911 WAS TREASON, AN INSIDE JOB, THE BUSH FAMILY DID IT UNDER LUCIFER'S (ILLUMINATI) DIRECTION!!!!"

‘ILLUMINATI FEARING QMB ASH' = 777

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 2:26:53 PM
Don't see what the big deal is. It's just some dude saying what he thinks google should do, and google probably doesn't even know or care about this man.

I called for Google to send me a million dollar. No reply............
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...