Total Posts:123|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should porn be illegal?

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:01:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.:

Give a reason for why it should be illegal and we'll go from there.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DevonNetzley
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:11:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:01:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.:

Give a reason for why it should be illegal and we'll go from there.

i agree, do give us a reason.
"If you truly want to do something, the only person standing in your way is yourself"
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:17:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Heh. If it were illegal it would be a criminal habit, thus making it their job to stop it (according to you). Fairly circular.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:20:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:17:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Heh. If it were illegal it would be a criminal habit, thus making it their job to stop it (according to you). Fairly circular.

It is not the Government's responsibility to regulate things that are not illegal.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:23:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Child porn? Yes. Regular porn? No, even if I do find it absolutely repulsive. I just don't have to watch it. :)

+1
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:29:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:20:24 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:17:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Heh. If it were illegal it would be a criminal habit, thus making it their job to stop it (according to you). Fairly circular.

It is not the Government's responsibility to regulate things that are not illegal.

But he is asking whether it should be legal, genius... Thats why your argument is circular.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:32:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:29:49 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:20:24 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:17:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Heh. If it were illegal it would be a criminal habit, thus making it their job to stop it (according to you). Fairly circular.

It is not the Government's responsibility to regulate things that are not illegal.

But he is asking whether it should be legal, genius... Thats why your argument is circular.

Looking at porn is legal.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:38:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Looking at porn is not a bad habit.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:40:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:38:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Looking at porn is not a bad habit.

I am using it in context. No, it is not a bad habit. And bad habits, nor porn should be regulated by the Government. Agree?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:41:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

Undecided? Well, ask yourself, are you fascist or not a fascist.

If you think that the government has a right to spy on people and control what they watch then congratulations, youre a fascist.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:42:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:38:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Looking at porn is not a bad habit.

Well it can become one if you become an addict, same as anything else...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:44:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:42:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:38:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Looking at porn is not a bad habit.

Well it can become one if you become an addict, same as anything else...

What are the negative effects of watching excessive porn? There has to be a reason to call it "bad."

.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:44:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:42:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:38:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Looking at porn is not a bad habit.

Well it can become one if you become an addict, same as anything else...

What are the negative effects of watching excessive porn? There has to be a reason to call it "bad."




.
.

Well not to advocate for Government Regulation, but it breaks up relationships and marriages.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
From a utilitarianistic viewpoint, porn is beneficial.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:55:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:49:02 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:44:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:42:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well it can become one if you become an addict, same as anything else...

What are the negative effects of watching excessive porn? There has to be a reason to call it "bad."

Well not to advocate for Government Regulation, but it breaks up relationships and marriages.

That's not the fault of porn.

1. Girlfriends and wives should allow their significant other to do so. It's a natural urge. I know several couples who even watch it together.
2. If a relationship or marriage ends because of porn, then it was probably best that it end because clearly the spouse was being intolerant and unreasonable.
3. Thats not an inherent problem with porn, that's a problem with peoples insecurities and prejudices.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:57:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:56:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
From a utilitarian viewpoint, porn is beneficial.

;)

Does that mean that you are in agreement?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:58:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:55:30 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:49:02 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:44:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:42:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well it can become one if you become an addict, same as anything else...

What are the negative effects of watching excessive porn? There has to be a reason to call it "bad."

Well not to advocate for Government Regulation, but it breaks up relationships and marriages.

That's not the fault of porn.

1. Girlfriends and wives should allow their significant other to do so. It's a natural urge. I know several couples who even watch it together.
2. If a relationship or marriage ends because of porn, then it was probably best that it end because clearly the spouse was being intolerant and unreasonable.
3. Thats not an inherent problem with porn, that's a problem with peoples insecurities and prejudices.



.

And even if one assumes the opposite about porn in relationships, you still shouldn't be with someone who you can't trust to abide by your preferences about porn without a gun to their head.
Legalize all porn not containing nonconsenting rational beings.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:59:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
From a utilitarianistic viewpoint, porn is beneficial.

This is actually surprising coming from you. I'd thought you would want it outlawed.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:59:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:57:29 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:56:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
From a utilitarian viewpoint, porn is beneficial.

;)

Does that mean that you are in agreement?

just being a grammar nazi. I did change the post a little.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:01:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:59:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
From a utilitarianistic viewpoint, porn is beneficial.

This is actually surprising coming from you. I'd thought you would want it outlawed.

yea, but that would make him a hypocritical, because considering that he a teenage male, he likely looks at porn.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:02:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have recently had a change, not about my views about the legality of porn, but about its desirability. Wherever you visit a porn website the majority of videos seem to be women badly acting as though they are turned on while being borderline abused by men and trying to act as though oral sex performed on the man and anal sex are somehow extremely arousing for the woman. I used to sneer at feminist critiques of porn as being degrading to women - after all, taking away the freedom of women to have sex on camera for money would itself be a barrier to female liberation - but I can see how making freely available the embodiment of such disturbing male fantasies would make some women extremely uncomfortable.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:02:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:59:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:52:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
From a utilitarianistic viewpoint, porn is beneficial.

This is actually surprising coming from you. I'd thought you would want it outlawed.

I don't want to simply outlaw everything. I want things to be outlawed/allowed based on utilitarianism and societal benefit.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:04:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:32:48 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:29:49 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:20:24 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:17:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:56:07 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:52:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Thoughts? I am undecided so I want to see people's opinions.

No. It is not the Government's job to stop people from doing bad habits (non-criminal habits like overeating and smoking).

Heh. If it were illegal it would be a criminal habit, thus making it their job to stop it (according to you). Fairly circular.

It is not the Government's responsibility to regulate things that are not illegal.

But he is asking whether it should be legal, genius... Thats why your argument is circular.

Looking at porn is legal.

Mate. Read what I said. Then hit yourself on the forehead.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:05:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 2:02:50 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I have recently had a change, not about my views about the legality of porn, but about its desirability. Wherever you visit a porn website the majority of videos seem to be women badly acting as though they are turned on while being borderline abused by men and trying to act as though oral sex performed on the man and anal sex are somehow extremely arousing for the woman. I used to sneer at feminist critiques of porn as being degrading to women - after all, taking away the freedom of women to have sex on camera for money would itself be a barrier to female liberation - but I can see how making freely available the embodiment of such disturbing male fantasies would make some women extremely uncomfortable.

Yea. Despite not being a feminist I personally think it's degrading to women and leads to objectification, which is one of the reasons I personally don't like it. Also, the fact I'm asexual contributes to porn doing absolutely for me. I know other people enjoy it, but it's just not for me.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:06:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 2:05:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/26/2012 2:02:50 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I have recently had a change, not about my views about the legality of porn, but about its desirability. Wherever you visit a porn website the majority of videos seem to be women badly acting as though they are turned on while being borderline abused by men and trying to act as though oral sex performed on the man and anal sex are somehow extremely arousing for the woman. I used to sneer at feminist critiques of porn as being degrading to women - after all, taking away the freedom of women to have sex on camera for money would itself be a barrier to female liberation - but I can see how making freely available the embodiment of such disturbing male fantasies would make some women extremely uncomfortable.

Yea. Despite not being a feminist I personally think it's degrading to women and leads to objectification, which is one of the reasons I personally don't like it. Also, the fact I'm asexual contributes to porn doing absolutely nothing for me. I know other people enjoy it, but it's just not for me.