Jump to topic:

On Drugs

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:43:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most of the arguments for the use of drugs is based in the idea of "personal liberty" meaning you have the right to do whatever you want as long as its not overtly destructive.

Yet I say when you possess liberties that can, in excersizing these liberties, endanger the liberties of another (i.e life, liberty, right to property etc) then that is no longer liberty and therefore should be banned.

If drug use threatens others (which it does) it is no longer a usable liberty and thus should be kept illegal.

Thoughts?
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:45:09 PM
Alcohol exceeds the vast majority of other drugs in causing violent behavior. Marijuana, shrooms, lsd, ecstasy, and many others with the exception of meth really don't cause violence.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:47:37 PM
The short point is that drugs harm everybody. There is no way around it. Pro-druggies might claim that the harm might be very small, but that is not true. Physical and psychological second hand exposure is rampant with drug users and those close to them, especially in poorer families.
That is not to mention the massive societal detriment that it poses.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:48:38 PM
At 1/26/2012 9:45:09 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Alcohol exceeds the vast majority of other drugs in causing violent behavior. Marijuana, shrooms, lsd, ecstasy, and many others with the exception of meth really don't cause violence.

Alcohol too. It doesn't matter. Stop defending drugs, they're damaging to society. Any mind altering substances should be banned period because they then put others at risk.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:56:19 PM
At 1/26/2012 9:48:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Alcohol too. It doesn't matter. Stop defending drugs, they're damaging to society. Any mind altering substances should be banned period because they then put others at risk.

So we ban alcohol? You seem to have an emotional attachment to this idea, am I right? Mind altering substances have a long and rich history in ancient cultures with relatively mild adverse side effects. I'm convinced you're just close minded on this topic from this post. Regardless, it's clear that marijuana and hallucinogens like shrooms and acid have virtually no violent side effects.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:57:23 PM
At 1/26/2012 9:43:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Most of the arguments for the use of drugs is based in the idea of "personal liberty" meaning you have the right to do whatever you want as long as its not overtly destructive.

Yet I say when you possess liberties that can, in excersizing these liberties, endanger the liberties of another (i.e life, liberty, right to property etc) then that is no longer liberty and therefore should be banned.

If drug use threatens others (which it does) it is no longer a usable liberty and thus should be kept illegal.

Thoughts?

You're right.

Let's bomb all the pharmaceutical companies in the middle of the night a la Tyler Durden.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:58:53 PM

Quick question, would this include any substances with which the user perceives a mind-altering state, irrespective on whether it occurs or not?
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:03:01 PM
At 1/26/2012 9:56:19 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

So we ban alcohol? You seem to have an emotional attachment to this idea, am I right? Mind altering substances have a long and rich history in ancient cultures with relatively mild adverse side effects. I'm convinced you're just close minded on this topic from this post. Regardless, it's clear that marijuana and hallucinogens like shrooms and acid have virtually no violent side effects.

An emotional attachment?

Anyways, just because something has a "long rich history" does not mean that we endorse it.
The south has a long rich history of slavery, why was that banned? Oh wait because it was bad. Maybe we should bring that back. It had massive benefits and only a few adverse side affects.

And yes, alcohol should be banned.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:03:32 PM

They have a multitude of other harmful effects.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:04:39 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:03:01 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

An emotional attachment?

Anyways, just because something has a "long rich history" does not mean that we endorse it.
The south has a long rich history of slavery, why was that banned? Oh wait because it was bad. Maybe we should bring that back. It had massive benefits and only a few adverse side affects.

LolOl

Ban smiling! Those toothy freaks!

And...and...uh, ban sex! Until I lose my virginity... then, only sex before marriage... unless you're White... uh...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:05:56 PM
Oh yes, let's ban alcohol! It's not like that idea's ever backfired before!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:06:35 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:05:56 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

It was never enforced strictly enough.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:06:53 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:04:39 PM, Ren wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

And...and...uh, ban sex! Until I lose my virginity... then, only sex before marriage... unless you're White... uh...

Yeah yeah snarky attacks to hide behind. Tell me why it shouldn't be banned?

Drinking leads to intoxication which leads to countless acts of violence, destruction and death. Why should we keep such a substance on the market? Because its popular?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:07:55 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:06:53 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Drinking leads to intoxication which leads to countless acts of violence, destruction and death. Why should we keep such a substance on the market? Because its popular?

Or because illegalizing it will just put more money and more power into the hands of drug lords and crime bosses.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:08:13 PM

I know its not realistic but that doesn't mean I need to give up my belief. I'm sticking to this.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:08:30 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:03:32 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

They have a multitude of other harmful effects.

Shrooms do?

Tell me. What are the harmful effects of psilocybin?

http://t2.gstatic.com...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:09:22 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:08:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I know its not realistic but that doesn't mean I need to give up my belief. I'm sticking to this.

So then you're sticking to an idea which doesn't work in the first place, and encourages racketerring, corruption, and criminal syndicates.

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:10:36 PM

An emotional attachment?

That's true, but I wasn't making an appeal to tradition. Hallucinogens have been used in spiritual practices and they are not harmful to others or addictive. I wasn't making an appeal to tradition, I was just providing some background.

Alcohol has been banned and it turned out horrendously and corruption was pervasive and the gangs were the ones who profited. Do we ban candy next? Fast food? Cake? It can be harmful. How far do you go to monitor what people put in their bodies?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:10:37 PM

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

It should not be banned, because it is a natural and extremely accessible substance. Therefore, it will always exist, and illegalizing it will simply cause a power shift from businessmen to (slightly less appealing) criminals.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:13:08 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:10:37 PM, Ren wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

It should not be banned, because it is a natural and extremely accessible substance. Therefore, it will always exist, and illegalizing it will simply cause a power shift from businessmen to (slightly less appealing) criminals.

Alcohol isn't addictive, phase it out.

Teach your kids not to drink it. Take it off the shelves and slowly it will be taken out of society.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:14:23 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:13:08 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Teach your kids not to drink it. Take it off the shelves and slowly it will be taken out of society.

Are you honestly saying that alcohol isn't addictive?

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:15:15 PM

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Are you stupid? Did you not read what I said?

People don't drink alcohol because it's addictive, people drink it because it feels good, and sometimes, tastes good. They will always drink it, whether or not you tell them to.

You are going to drink alcohol one day. Lol, you straightedge ultraChristians are always the first to freak out in college.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:15:47 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:14:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Well no you're right it is. Same with marijuana and stuff too, it's more of a mental dependency-psychological addiction but yes no it is addictive.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:17:26 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:15:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Well no you're right it is. Same with marijuana and stuff too, it's more of a mental dependency-psychological addiction but yes no it is addictive.

It's actually physically addictive to--that's what alcoholism is. A person's body begins to shut down WITHOUT alcohol.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:17:53 PM
At 1/26/2012 9:43:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Thoughts?

It really depends on your value of freedoms.

Ben Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (of course, we can argue that anyone that believes that those that disagree with them deserve to have no liberty nor safety is actually a fascist, we'll skip that tangent).

This is to show that (at least he believes) liberties always outweigh safety.

But he also said, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." This clearly indicates a view that it is better to prevent problems than to try to fix them after the fact.

For a real world case, let's turn to drinking and driving.

In a completely free society (under NAP libertarian principles), you would not be prevented from doing anything, only required to face the consequences for those actions after the fact. In other words, drinking and driving would be completely legal. However, if you crash your car and kill someone, you have to face complete legal consequences, as you're pretty much ensured to be marked at-fault for the collision.

But in our current society (and in most current societies), drinking and driving is illegal in order to prevent (at least minimize) drinking, driving and crashing. You have to decide if you believe that the active prevention of DD crashes outweighs the infringement of the right to drink and drive and putting out the flames after the damage is done.

Now the numbers are not all the same, but it is the same line of reasoning for drug prevention laws. Does the prevention (or limitation) of harms caused by drug consumption (from health harm, mental harm, societal harms, etc) outweigh the value of the right that is being infringed? And, of course, we can look at each drug differently. The "harms" associated with pot consumption are not the same as the "harms" associated with meth consumption, and so it is possible that limiting meth is worth infringing on that right, while that limiting pot is not.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:18:57 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:17:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:15:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

It's actually physically addictive to--that's what alcoholism is. A person's body begins to shut down WITHOUT alcohol.

But that's not very prevelent. Some people are more prone to addictions than others.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:20:46 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:15:15 PM, Ren wrote:

An emotional attachment?

LolOl

Are you stupid? Did you not read what I said?

People don't drink alcohol because it's addictive, people drink it because it feels good, and sometimes, tastes good. They will always drink it, whether or not you tell them to.

You are going to drink alcohol one day. Lol, you straightedge ultraChristians are always the first to freak out in college.

Actually I'm pretty adamant on not drinking... Am I 100% certain on this? No course not but right now I can confidently say that I won't be drinking ever.

Also I realized you talk a lot of smack on the forums yet have never done a debate. You should get that to transfer over sometime.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:21:28 PM

Technically, alcohol consumption dropped dramatically after it was banned. As such, it was technically a huge success (it did what it set out to do). It just had a few minor side-effects (mobs, black markets, wasted tax payer money, harming the economy), and one major side-effect that has had such lasting damage that we are still feeling the full force of the pain still today (NASCAR).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:23:11 PM
If we castrate men, men will probably commit less violent and property crimes. Should we do that, since we don't want people to commit violent crimes and harm others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...