Jump to topic:

Hate Speech

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:24:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There's actually an interesting video I saw that talks about how we have an artificial sense of free speech in society. I may post it at some point, maybe tomorrow.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:29:39 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:25:34 PM, Viper-King wrote:
People think we should restrict freedom to not hurting others at all!

Well, in my opinion, I think that's utter crap. In a society built around freedom as a core principle, worrying about if people will be offended by something is truly silly.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:32:45 PM
Free speech as entity, should be allowed as long as it does not interfere with the duties or abilities of the State. For example, I have no problem with you saying "Blacks are bad", however I do have a problem with you saying "The State is doing a bad job".
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:34:37 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:23:11 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Who here thinks that hate speech is right???? Lots of people think that speech should be restricted to not hurting anyone.

"is right" or "is a right"?

big difference.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:43:21 PM
Who here thinks that hate speech is right???? Lots of people think that speech should be restricted to not hurting anyone.

There is nothing wrong with offending someone... I believe that whole heartedly. If my beliefs offend you... deal with it.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:43:58 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:32:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Free speech as entity, should be allowed as long as it does not interfere with the duties or abilities of the State. For example, I have no problem with you saying "Blacks are bad", however I do have a problem with you saying "The State is doing a bad job".

You do realize that saying "The State is doing a bad job" was essentially the premise of the Declaration of Independence, don't you?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:08:35 PM
At 1/26/2012 10:43:58 PM, mongeese wrote:

You do realize that saying "The State is doing a bad job" was essentially the premise of the Declaration of Independence, don't you?

Yes. What's your point?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:31:24 PM
At 1/26/2012 11:08:35 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yes. What's your point?

Do you believe that he US shouldn't have declared independence from Great Britian?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:39:40 PM

You hate obama... You have said it, Obama= part of the state. So eah politician needs 100% approval? Fail
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:41:01 PM

Technically, the premise of the DoI was not "The State is doing a bad job" unless you assign "The State" as only the British government (a particular state, rather than government in general).

As such, the founding fathers declaring independence from England does not merit support for pulling the same statement out now and using it, since "the state" now is not "the state" then.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:41:13 PM
New sig! Thanks LK
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 12:25:23 AM
At 1/26/2012 11:39:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:

You hate obama... You have said it, Obama= part of the state. So eah politician needs 100% approval? Fail

yea, but he also said you can say "blacks are bad". So lordknuckle can insult him as a black person, but not as a president.

Based on Lordknuckle logic:
Bad: I hate Obama's healthcare policy.
Good: Obama is a n*****r
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 8:31:04 AM

I hate Obama because my ideal policy is not implemented. If it were and a person like Obama would come to power (no), then I would praise him.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 8:36:32 AM
At 1/27/2012 8:31:04 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

I hate Obama because my ideal policy is not implemented. If it were and a person like Obama would come to power (no), then I would praise him.

......I'm thinking LK, you made a contradictory statement, and your not admitting it, cause that makes no sense.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 8:50:13 AM

Y you hate youselvez?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 12:11:35 PM
At 1/27/2012 8:36:32 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/27/2012 8:31:04 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

......I'm thinking LK, you made a contradictory statement, and your not admitting it, cause that makes no sense.

No, I did not make a contradictory statement. Let me explain.

What I said is that I have no problem with individuals having "free speech" against other individuals. Basically, I don't care if person X says that Person Y sucks or something along that line. As long as the speech is strictly from person to person about anything other than the State, then I have no problem with it.

However, I do have a problem when the State gets involved in the freedom of speech. A person should not be able to say anything negative about the State as an entity as it is societal detrimental.

Since my ideal proposal is not implemented currently, I am allowed to say "The State sucks" or something along that line. However, under ideal circumstances and with the right laws, nobody will be able to do it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 3:59:27 PM
Who here thinks that hate speech is right???? Lots of people think that speech should be restricted to not hurting anyone.:

Deeming unpopular speech as "hate speech" is a form of censorship. That is completely separate from threatening speech.

The same principle goes for "hate crimes," as if it's somehow more reprehensible to kill someone for money versus killing them for being Asian when the net result is still two dead people.

They're both essentially "thought crimes."
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 4:30:40 PM

Saying "The State is doing a bad job" does not interfere with the alleged duties or abilities of the State at-all whatsoever.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 4:31:55 PM
At 1/27/2012 12:29:44 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I almost sigged that same quote but LK is almost too easy.

I agree lol I responded accidentally.
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 4:58:06 PM
At 1/26/2012 11:41:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Technically, the premise of the DoI was not "The State is doing a bad job" unless you assign "The State" as only the British government (a particular state, rather than government in general).

The British government was at the time "the" state.

As such, the founding fathers declaring independence from England does not merit support for pulling the same statement out now and using it, since "the state" now is not "the state" then.

However, if LK is going to be consistent, then they should not have been allowed to use the statement then, either.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:10:58 AM
Here's the problem, a right cannot be a right if it takes away your life liberty and pursuit of happiness. If Hate speech takes away happiness then it should be censored, but here's the problem, who chooses if it is offensive? If it offends 1 person it can be constitutionally censored as it took away their pursuit of happiness temporarily. But a good argument is "how does the government know?" And their he government they would screw it up. So...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:10:48 AM
This is a difficult issue tbh. I'd be all for banning speech that could potentially incite harm, but it could be a slippery slope too.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 7:45:46 AM
At 1/29/2012 2:10:48 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
This is a difficult issue tbh. I'd be all for banning speech that could potentially incite harm, but it could be a slippery slope too.

Why?

If I for some reason or another I despise Jews, and if I say mean things about them, should I be fined? Of course not!

I might as well point out, that this law mainly targets Christians, who preach against cults, homosexuality ect.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 7:51:16 AM
At 1/29/2012 7:45:46 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Why?

If I for some reason or another I despise Jews, and if I say mean things about them, should I be fined? Of course not!

I might as well point out, that this law mainly targets Christians, who preach against cults, homosexuality ect.

Such laws would not target Christians; they would ban the behavior of individuals who use hate speech. If most happen to be Christian, then that indicates that the "peace-loving" Christians need to regulate their behavior. It does not suggest that the government is targeting Christians.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 8:02:54 AM
At 1/29/2012 7:51:16 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/29/2012 7:45:46 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Why?

Such laws would not target Christians; they would ban the behavior of individuals who use hate speech. If most happen to be Christian, then that indicates that the "peace-loving" Christians need to regulate their behavior. It does not suggest that the government is targeting Christians.

Does it pass the lemon test?
1. The goverments action must have a secular purpose (this law would)
2. The laws primary effect cannot enforce or inhibit any one religeon. (this law passes)
3. The law must not have exsesive entanglement with religeon. (pass)

The law passes that part. It is constitutional but is a kinda dumb law.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:31:00 AM

I have a right to tell you to F*** off. You may not like what I say, and I may not like what you say; sticks and stones my friend, sticks and stones.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:33:52 AM
At 1/29/2012 9:31:00 AM, DanT wrote:

I have a right to tell you to F*** off. You may not like what I say, and I may not like what you say; sticks and stones my friend, sticks and stones.

This is not the issue. We are discussing speech that demonstrates hatred towards a group of innocent people. We are not discussing your anger management issues.