Jump to topic:

"Recall Walker?"

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:21:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
NOTE: I know I made this same post in another thread, but I didn't want to derail it.

Now, I'm a Wisconsinite, but....I'm a little bit confused.

I was as upset as the rest of everybody when Scott Walker removed collective bargaining (because it restricts the rights of people to bargain as a group if they wish), but apart from that, he actually did save our state a sh1tload of money from the ludicrous spending of Doyle.

Anyone can see that from the beginning this recall is meant to remove a Republican to replace him with a Democrat. Even from the day he was elected, I heard people talking about planning a recall movement right away.

I dunno. I guess I'm stuck in the middle. Walker's agenda against unions repulsed me, but so does the Recall Movement's agenda.

I'm actually sickened by both sides.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:25:58 PM
You just have issues with politics all together, and flipped out when I said I wanted Newt Grinch to win the R nomination so Obama would easily win.

I see absolutely no reason or justification for you to be disgusted with the recall movement, but, live and let live.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:29:35 PM
At 1/29/2012 6:25:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
You just have issues with politics all together, and flipped out when I said I wanted Newt Grinch to win the R nomination so Obama would easily win.

I see absolutely no reason or justification for you to be disgusted with the recall movement, but, live and let live.

Absolutely no reason? You mean, like the fact that it had its beginnings solely in the fact that Walker was a Republican? And everyone still wants to recall him, even though he saved the state millions and millions of dollars, and the only negative effects were in places that didn't put his proposals into place?

And the reason for hating Walker is obvious: he unforgivably took away people's personal liberty--the collective bargaining had absolutely nothing to do with saving the state money.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:35:50 PM
At 1/29/2012 6:29:35 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Absolutely no reason? You mean, like the fact that it had its beginnings solely in the fact that Walker was a Republican? And everyone still wants to recall him, even though he saved the state millions and millions of dollars, and the only negative effects were in places that didn't put his proposals into place?

And the reason for hating Walker is obvious: he unforgivably took away people's personal liberty--the collective bargaining had absolutely nothing to do with saving the state money.

I see, so you assume they dislike him arbitrarily because he has the little (R) by his name,...and not because of the actions they know he's going to take?....If you are displeased with American politics, I think its largely a self-inflicted, and derived from an unrealistically cynical perception of motives and agendas.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:41:30 PM
At 1/29/2012 6:35:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

I see, so you assume they dislike him arbitrarily because he has the little (R) by his name,...and not because of the actions they know he's going to take?....If you are displeased with American politics, I think its largely a self-inflicted, and derived from an unrealistically cynical perception of motives and agendas.

No. I know people wanted to recall him from the fist day because he's a Republican, at least in the beginning. One of the slogans for their movement that I hear is "We don't want a red/Republican state! We are a blue state!" Interestingly enough, people were actually surprised that he did what he did. Even supporters turned their back, because his plan WAS unprecedented.

Believe me on this one: I live in the largest city in Wisconsin, where most Wisconsin liberals are situated.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:41:46 PM

Now, that is an interesting post.

Please, elaborate.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:43:03 PM

Or are your perceptions of motives and agendas unrealistically biased and jaded toward those you disagree with?

bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:47:05 PM
At 1/29/2012 6:21:02 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
NOTE: I know I made this same post in another thread, but I didn't want to derail it.

cool, im in the Janesville area.

I was as upset as the rest of everybody when Scott Walker removed collective bargaining (because it restricts the rights of people to bargain as a group if they wish), but apart from that, he actually did save our state a sh1tload of money from the ludicrous spending of Doyle.
He also plays dirty politics and most of his support is from out of state

Anyone can see that from the beginning this recall is meant to remove a Republican to replace him with a Democrat. Even from the day he was elected, I heard people talking about planning a recall movement right away.

I dunno. I guess I'm stuck in the middle. Walker's agenda against unions repulsed me, but so does the Recall Movement's agenda.

but thats only a part of the recall movement, most people just want him out.
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
Ladykatzen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:58:38 PM
At 1/29/2012 6:21:02 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Actually, Walker has probably made Wisconsin's finances even worse, especially in the long-term. He shifted close to $2 billion in general debt to revenue bonds. The restructuring of this debt, added to the already existent bond debt, means that Wisconsin will be paying more in interest AFTER Walker is out of office. In fact, according to the Legislative Fiscal Bureau, the only governor who shifted more general debt to the future debt is Gov. Thompson.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 7:47:49 PM

It's not as if the people of Wisconsin voted him in or anything.
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 7:50:34 PM
The only thing I actually care about in the recall election is that Tommy Thompson may run (which is good).

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 8:46:31 PM
My question is, why do people think public sector unions deserve bargaining rights?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ladykatzen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:43:53 PM
At 1/29/2012 8:46:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
My question is, why do people think public sector unions deserve bargaining rights?
Well, I personally think all workers deserve to have a legitimate voice at the table during discussions of workplace conditions, operations, and compensation. I am curious if you believe workers do not deserve to have this voice?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:10:51 PM
At 1/30/2012 3:43:53 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:
Well, I personally think all workers deserve to have a legitimate voice at the table during discussions of workplace conditions, operations, and compensation. I am curious if you believe workers do not deserve to have this voice?

There's a difference between bargaining in a group and bargaining on your own: both have advantages and disadvantages. However, I do agree that people should, if they want to, be able to collectively bargain. That's why I agreed that he went too far on that note.

PS: That's a loaded question you asked, there.

Ladykatzen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:29:25 PM
At 1/30/2012 4:10:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 1/30/2012 3:43:53 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:

There's a difference between bargaining in a group and bargaining on your own: both have advantages and disadvantages. However, I do agree that people should, if they want to, be able to collectively bargain. That's why I agreed that he went too far on that note.

PS: That's a loaded question you asked, there.

*grins* of course it was a loaded question...it was a response to the first loaded question....