Jump to topic:

Romney's hatred of poor people

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:28:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mitt Romney, the multi-millionaire Republican candidate, the man who took great delight in sacking thousands of workers and plunging their families into poverty during his time as a corporate asset-stripper, yesterday admitted he is "not concerned about the very poor".

http://www.cbc.ca...

I don't know much about American political system but if he were ever elected President, wouldn't he be responsible for promoting the interests of all Americans, rich and poor alike?

Surely it wouldn't be healthy for American society to be divided into two castes– the ‘haves' and the ‘have-not's' – a society where poor people are excluded mainstream society?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 8:46:04 AM
At 2/2/2012 6:28:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Mitt Romney, the multi-millionaire Republican candidate, the man who took great delight in sacking thousands of workers and plunging their families into poverty during his time as a corporate asset-stripper, yesterday admitted he is "not concerned about the very poor".

I don't know much about American political system but if he were ever elected President, wouldn't he be responsible for promoting the interests of all Americans, rich and poor alike?

Surely it wouldn't be healthy for American society to be divided into two castes– the ‘haves' and the ‘have-not's' – a society where poor people are excluded mainstream society?

If he created private and public sector jobs based on his experiences, then he could change our economy for the better. But the bad part, is that his Republican policies could decrease the consumer confidence if he decides to cut middle and low income families finances.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 9:11:54 AM
Great video. Anytime Mitt Romney makes an @ss of himself is a good day.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 9:56:21 AM

Are you really that dense? He said he's not concerned about the very poor because there is a safety net for them. Taking that quote out of context is blatantly dishonest.

Secondly, your accusation against his work at Bain is unfounded. I've gone through the actual financials for those companies, have you? He created more jobs that cut

twocupcakes: 15 = 13
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 9:59:07 AM
At 2/2/2012 9:56:21 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Are you really that dense? He said he's not concerned about the very poor because there is a safety net for them. Taking that quote out of context is blatantly dishonest.

He wants to substantially reduce that safety net.
Secondly, your accusation against his work at Bain is unfounded. I've gone through the actual financials for those companies, have you? He created more jobs that cut

Source?

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 10:08:43 AM
I'm impressed by the compound errors.

Romney never stripped corporate assets. The Bain Capital record is stellar. There is no question that more jobs would have been lost without Bain's interventions. Only leftist believe that failing companies can keep staff forever by willing it.

According to your source, Romney said, "I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich. They're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of America, the 90-95 per cent of Americans who right now are struggling." He was talking about the focus of concern.

Obama uses a teleprompter even when speaking to kindergartners. He does that so his political hacks can comb his speech for anything that could be taken out of context. Obama is good only at politics. No need to know anything about governing if you're good enough at politics.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 10:54:44 AM
At 2/2/2012 10:08:43 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I'm impressed by the compound errors.

Romney never stripped corporate assets. The Bain Capital record is stellar. There is no question that more jobs would have been lost without Bain's interventions. Only leftist believe that failing companies can keep staff forever by willing it.

According to your source, Romney said, "I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich. They're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of America, the 90-95 per cent of Americans who right now are struggling." He was talking about the focus of concern.

Obama uses a teleprompter even when speaking to kindergartners. He does that so his political hacks can comb his speech for anything that could be taken out of context. Obama is good only at politics. No need to know anything about governing if you're good enough at politics.

And again, Romney's reputation will be his demise. Too bad you lack the foresight to see his indiscretions.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 1:50:03 PM
At 2/2/2012 10:54:44 AM, inferno wrote:
And again, Romney's reputation will be his demise. Too bad you lack the foresight to see his indiscretions.

But, of course, you are unable to name anything specific.

Probably the example most often cited is paper company Bain bought where everyone lost their job. Bain bought the company, made it more valuable and sold it to another paper company. The new owner, not Bain, subsequently shut down the plant. However, the new company merged operations with a nearby plant and gave everyone in the old plant job in the new plant.

another example is the case where Bain acquired a company that was headed for bankruptcy. The took out $160 million, or thereabouts, in fees. The company still went bankrupt. When a company goes bankrupt the assets are sold off to recover as much of the investment as possible, while new owners take over the pieces. Bain's intervention added over a billion dollars to the asset value of the company. I don't see any argument that the world would be a better place if they were left alone.

So what have you got? What have I failed to see that you see?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 1:59:29 PM
At 2/2/2012 9:59:07 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

He said that there are holes in the safety net that need to be fixed. So how do you know that he doesn't want to do what he said.

There is a standard political justification for lying. The candidate says the opposite of what his opponent "knows" he means. That's supposed to justify quoting out of context to fake what his opponent "knows" he meant, even though he didn't say it. Politicians do conceal their motives, but the way to show that is to point to the candidate's record of what he has done. Romney was governor of Massachusetts, so if he made unjustified cuts to the social safety net, it's justified to make an issue out them. Then there can be a debate on the merits.

Making up lies, as the video does, is unethical. Taking quotes out of context is unethical.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:36:57 PM
At 2/2/2012 1:59:29 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Making up lies, as the video does, is unethical. Taking quotes out of context is unethical.

Exactly. I knew that statement would be taken out of context as soon as I heard it. That is most unfortunate. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to attack Romney on policy grounds. This quote-mining to attack someone for what they did not say is irresponsible and makes our side look bad.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:46:35 PM
At 2/2/2012 9:59:07 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Source?

Here's some, I've posted this information on different forums, but none of the Bain bashers have commented.

http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:08:51 PM
Dang, Romney looks like he could destroy Obama, as long as he doesn't back down on issues.

I mean, the biggest thing they can find to use against him is his brilliant business record? Pfft. Good luck Obama, your gonna need it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 4:14:11 AM

What? And Romney has never engaged in negative campaigning then?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 8:31:39 AM
At 2/3/2012 4:14:11 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

What? And Romney has never engaged in negative campaigning then?

Ah, the timeless tactic of changing the subject. Did you look at the information about his work at Bain? Are you still going to say he delighted in firing people and bankrupting companies?

I don't know anything about the truth of Romney's negative campaigning, as I despise Newt and will only go digging into his past more than I have if he wins the nomination.