Jump to topic:

Mitt Romney in 1994

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:11:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Watch this 1994 speech from Mitt Romney. If you listen to the anti Romney forces, you will hear that Mitt was a liberal back then.

However, as you can see in this speech, he was actually quite conservative.
President of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:24:48 PM
I'm personally PRO Romney, but one speech does not signify his entire past career. He did in fact vote liberally on some issues in Massachusetts. Of course, it could be argued that this was necessary in the heavily liberal state but it goes both ways.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:28:49 PM
At 2/3/2012 10:24:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'm personally PRO Romney, but one speech does not signify his entire past career. He did in fact vote liberally on some issues in Massachusetts. Of course, it could be argued that this was necessary in the heavily liberal state but it goes both ways.

I don't deny that Romney has taken some liberal stances. After all, he passed Romneycare, supported more environmental regulation, and has been weak on supporting tax cuts on some occasions (refused to endorse or oppose Bush tax cuts in 2003, said he opposed capital gains tax cut in 1990s, opposed flat tax, etc).

However, even at his most liberal, which was in 1994, he was still a solid Republican who is FAR better than Barack Obama.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:18:19 PM
At 2/4/2012 12:49:43 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
The point is that Romney has always been a conservative.

A moderate conservative http://www.issues2000.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 2:55:15 PM
However, even at his most liberal, which was in 1994, he was still a solid Republican who is FAR better than Barack Obama.:

How? For all intents and purposes, he is Barack Obama... Hell, Obama is proving to be more conservative than most Conservatives! He went double-down on Bush's bail-outs, expanded the war, is aggressively trying to get into war with Iran, didn't close Guantanamo, doesn't want gay marriage, assassinates anyone he can get his hands on, passes bills that makes the Patriot Act look like child's play, etc, etc... And what's more important, most democrats have disavowed him for all these things.

I figured you died-in-the-wool neo-con's would be jacking off by now... He's one of you!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:06:09 PM
At 2/4/2012 2:55:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
However, even at his most liberal, which was in 1994, he was still a solid Republican who is FAR better than Barack Obama.:

How? For all intents and purposes, he is Barack Obama... Hell, Obama is proving to be more conservative than most Conservatives! He went double-down on Bush's bail-outs, expanded the war, is aggressively trying to get into war with Iran, didn't close Guantanamo, doesn't want gay marriage, assassinates anyone he can get his hands on, passes bills that makes the Patriot Act look like child's play, etc, etc... And what's more important, most democrats have disavowed him for all these things.

I figured you died-in-the-wool neo-con's would be jacking off by now... He's one of you!

I'm not a neo con. I am voting for Mitt Romney though.

There are vast differences between the two. Taxes, regulations, spending, etc.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:09:32 PM
At 2/4/2012 2:55:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

How? For all intents and purposes, he is Barack Obama... Hell, Obama is proving to be more conservative than most Conservatives! He went double-down on Bush's bail-outs, expanded the war,

Ended the war in Iran, and plans on ending war in Afghanistan by 2013. (http://www.nytimes.com...)

is aggressively trying to get into war with Iran,

Explanation or source please?

didn't close Guantanamo,

Uncooperative Congress.

"Administration officials lay blame for the failed initiative on Congress, including Democrats who deserted the president, sometimes in droves. The debate, they said, became suffused with fear — fear that transferring detainees to American soil would create a genuine security threat, fear that closing Guantanamo would be electoral suicide. Some Democratic lawmakers pleaded with the White House not to press too hard, according to administration officials." (http://www.washingtonpost.com...)

doesn't want gay marriage,

He is Christian, and I suspect this is done more so to reject charges of him being Muslim, so some of the right are more comfortable with him as president....not that I support that though.
assassinates anyone he can get his hands on,

Ghaddafi was assassinated by the Libyan people, but we did make it possible. Osama Bin Laden was on this nations list for assassination since 9/11, not Obama's personal agenda. Who else do you have in mind?

passes bills that makes the Patriot Act look like child's play,

he amended the patriot act for wiretaps to be legal only under court order

etc, etc... And what's more important, most democrats have disavowed him for all these things.

Obama polls at about 80% by this polls projections with Democrats. I would not consider 20% "most" ( http://www.gallup.com...)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:13:48 PM
I'm not a neo con. I am voting for Mitt Romney though.

There are vast differences between the two. Taxes, regulations, spending, etc.:

Sorry, but Romney is a big-big government crony, just like the Dems. Republicans and Democrats are both generally Big Government, they just spend the money differently.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 3:33:15 PM
Ended the war in Iran:

There's been no war with Iran, yet... He ended the Iraq War, but THREE years after he took office. His campaign promises meant nothing.

and plans on ending war in Afghanistan by 2013.:

Ron Paul would shut it down the DAY he took office.

Explanation or source please?:

His policies and recent fearmongering tactics with Iran are very reminiscent of Bush and Iraq. Topics concerning Iran are now daily, and let's not forget the fact that 5 of their nuclear scientists have been assassinated.

"Administration officials lay blame for the failed initiative on Congress, including Democrats who deserted the president, sometimes in droves. The debate, they said, became suffused with fear — fear that transferring detainees to American soil would create a genuine security threat, fear that closing Guantanamo would be electoral suicide. Some Democratic lawmakers pleaded with the White House not to press too hard, according to administration officials.":

Alright, well, you make a good point. Presidents alone can't call all the shots. They need Congressional support.

He is Christian, and I suspect this is done more so to reject charges of him being Muslim, so some of the right are more comfortable with him as president....not that I support that though.:

This is being done to appease the populace. He doesn't think America is ready for a leap that big... but isn't this awfully reminiscent of de-segregation? You either do the right thing, even when it's unpopular, or suffer the wrath of history. One day people will open textbooks and be mystified as to how anyone could have supported a separate but equal policy.... and Obama's name will be on it to detract from his legacy.

Ghaddafi was assassinated by the Libyan people, but we did make it possible.:

Precisely.

Osama Bin Laden was on this nations list for assassination since 9/11, not Obama's personal agenda. Who else do you have in mind?:

The Iranian scientists, though I can't directly blame the US without proof.

he amended the patriot act for wiretaps to be legal only under court order:

He just signed a bill that allows him to detain Americans, indefinitely, and without trial for unspecified amounts of time... All this against Habeus Corpus.

Obama polls at about 80% by this polls projections with Democrats. I would not consider 20% "most":

Obama's approval rating is averaged at 43%, not the lowest in history, but no president has ended their term with an 80% approval rating.

http://www.politifact.com...