Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Favorite Authors

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 6:54:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?

That's a surprise! What books of his have you read?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 6:55:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:54:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?

That's a surprise! What books of his have you read?

Take a guess :).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 6:56:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:55:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:54:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?

That's a surprise! What books of his have you read?

Take a guess :).

Democracy: The God that failed? One of my favorites. This site is actually responsible for me hearing about it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 7:02:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:56:57 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:55:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:54:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?

That's a surprise! What books of his have you read?

Take a guess :).

Democracy: The God that failed? One of my favorites. This site is actually responsible for me hearing about it

Yup. What are your favourite authors?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:58:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like a lot but Toni Morrison and Amy Tan are head and shoulders above the rest.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:00:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Arthur C. Clarke
Arthur C. Doyle
Charles Dickens

Currently discovering Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:25:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman +1
2. Jared Taylor +0 -0
3. George Orwell -0 +0
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe 00
5. Ayn Rand+1

What are everybody's?
6. Rush limbagh
7. Bill O'reily
AGH I forgot his name.....
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:41:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:25:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman +1
2. Jared Taylor +0 -0
3. George Orwell -0 +0
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe 00
5. Ayn Rand+1

What are everybody's?
6. Rush limbagh
7. Bill O'reily
AGH I forgot his name.....

Seriously? I like those people but they can't write a good book if their life depended on it. Compared to people who I mentioned, these are pathetic wannabees.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:45:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:41:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:25:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman +1
2. Jared Taylor +0 -0
3. George Orwell -0 +0
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe 00
5. Ayn Rand+1

What are everybody's?
6. Rush limbagh
7. Bill O'reily
AGH I forgot his name.....

Seriously? I like those people but they can't write a good book if their life depended on it. Compared to people who I mentioned, these are pathetic wannabees.

Bills book was good, Limbaugh was boring but I agreed with it so...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:47:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:45:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:41:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:25:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman +1
2. Jared Taylor +0 -0
3. George Orwell -0 +0
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe 00
5. Ayn Rand+1

What are everybody's?
6. Rush limbagh
7. Bill O'reily
AGH I forgot his name.....

Seriously? I like those people but they can't write a good book if their life depended on it. Compared to people who I mentioned, these are pathetic wannabees.

Bills book was good, Limbaugh was boring but I agreed with it so...

I can't believe you are comparing Limbaugh and O'Reilly to people such as Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:47:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
ah her name is Ann Coulter
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:48:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:47:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:45:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:41:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:25:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman +1
2. Jared Taylor +0 -0
3. George Orwell -0 +0
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe 00
5. Ayn Rand+1

What are everybody's?
6. Rush limbagh
7. Bill O'reily
AGH I forgot his name.....

Seriously? I like those people but they can't write a good book if their life depended on it. Compared to people who I mentioned, these are pathetic wannabees.

Bills book was good, Limbaugh was boring but I agreed with it so...

I can't believe you are comparing Limbaugh and O'Reilly to people such as Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman.

I'm not, I just think their books are good political wise, that does not an their on the same playing field. Ayn and milton win there.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:59:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
WHY HAS NO ONE SAID J.K. ROWLING!??!?!?!

You people disgust me....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:02:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are everybody's top few favourite authors?

Mine are:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

What are everybody's?

You're an authoritarian but your favorite authors include Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:09:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:59:32 PM, imabench wrote:
WHY HAS NO ONE SAID J.K. ROWLING!??!?!?!

You people disgust me....

I forgot him, I go to the shame room...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 10:41:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The more I read of Aldous Huxley the more I realize how ridiculously intelligent this man must have been. His writing style just oozes an intellect and cultural knowledge I can never hope to match. Dostoevsky ranks up there, Steinbeck, Camus. I don't know how anyone could have Ayn Rand as a favorite author.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 11:01:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 10:00:45 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Arthur C. Clarke
Arthur C. Doyle
Charles Dickens


Currently discovering Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Which book of Dostoyevsky?
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:06:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 11:09:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:59:32 PM, imabench wrote:
WHY HAS NO ONE SAID J.K. ROWLING!??!?!?!

You people disgust me....

I forgot him, I go to the shame room...

JK Rowling is a woman.............
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:09:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/16/2012 12:06:20 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/15/2012 11:09:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/15/2012 10:59:32 PM, imabench wrote:
WHY HAS NO ONE SAID J.K. ROWLING!??!?!?!

You people disgust me....

I forgot him, I go to the shame room...

JK Rowling is a woman.............

lol
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:23:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. David Icke
2. Michael Tsarion
3. J. Krishnamurti
4. Noam Chomsky
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:32:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/16/2012 10:41:53 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
The more I read of Aldous Huxley the more I realize how ridiculously intelligent this man must have been. His writing style just oozes an intellect and cultural knowledge I can never hope to match. Dostoevsky ranks up there, Steinbeck, Camus. I don't know how anyone could have Ayn Rand as a favorite author.

Same (I love Huxley). Have you read The Doors of Perception? I thought it was a great first-hand representation of psychedelics :) His writing definitely manages to come off as somewhat poetic despite retaining intellectual quality. Of course I love Brave New World and his other stuff too. Camus is pretty interesting I suppose but I've only read 2 books: The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus. Steinbeck is good but I haven't read (non blatantly philosophical) fiction in a long time to really have an opinion. What do you have against Ayn Rand as an author?
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:38:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/16/2012 1:23:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
1. David Icke
2. Michael Tsarion
3. J. Krishnamurti
4. Noam Chomsky

5. George Orwell
6. Aldous Huxley
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:40:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2012 6:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Jared Taylor
3. George Orwell
4. Hans-Hermann Hoppe
5. Ayn Rand

You are a disgrace to Friedman and Rand, you support global fascist dictatorship.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 1:54:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My Favorite author is Probobly Heather Brewer. :P
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 2:40:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/16/2012 1:32:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/16/2012 10:41:53 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
The more I read of Aldous Huxley the more I realize how ridiculously intelligent this man must have been. His writing style just oozes an intellect and cultural knowledge I can never hope to match. Dostoevsky ranks up there, Steinbeck, Camus. I don't know how anyone could have Ayn Rand as a favorite author.

Same (I love Huxley). Have you read The Doors of Perception? I thought it was a great first-hand representation of psychedelics :) His writing definitely manages to come off as somewhat poetic despite retaining intellectual quality. Of course I love Brave New World and his other stuff too. Camus is pretty interesting I suppose but I've only read 2 books: The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus. Steinbeck is good but I haven't read (non blatantly philosophical) fiction in a long time to really have an opinion. What do you have against Ayn Rand as an author?

I'm reading Doors of Perception currently, and I actually bought it on your recommendation. I read BNW in High School and I found it much more thought provoking than the typically more lauded 1984. It wasn't until I started reading DoP that I realized how insanely intelligent this man was. As you wrote, it's a brilliant blend of poetry and intellect.

Her fiction just seems to be an exposition of her ideology. In The Fountainhead, none of her characters were particularly likable or relatable but even excusing that the text would have been palatable it wasn't 700 pages. I don't read much fiction anymore it's really just required philosophy texts (Kant and Wittgenstein now) for the near future.