Does this make a lick of sense?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 8:12:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Alright, here's a poll.

If you can, I want you to look at that ad, and then tell me if this makes sense:

Being outside of the country for 34 years, working abroad as a journalist, professor at Oxford and Harvard, a noted and well-respect philosopher, being a cosmopolitan, yet still writing about Canadian subjects, democracy and maintaining regular contact with said country- all of that is somehow bad qualities to have in order to lead that country.

Agree or disagree?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 8:18:43 PM
I don't think they're questioning his acheivments abroad (in fact, they conveniently didn't mention them), just trying to show that he doesn't care enough about the country to vote him into office. If he actually did say that line about only missing one park in his absense, that's pretty bad. Unless it was taken out of context, it indicates that he doesn't even like the country, so why should he lead it? I guess that's what they're getting at.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 8:23:36 PM
Good point, and to be honest, I'm never really sure if he said that or not. Ignatieff is kind of the guy that never really thought he'd be in the position to lead - he has made a lot of gaffes. If he said it, I wouldn't be surprised, but if it was taken out of context, I still wouldn't be surprised.

But, the difference is that Ignatieff has wrote extensively on his family's contribution in Canada (both sides of his family have a long, public and political history here) and he has always said - never once waivered - that Canada is a great example to the world. These ads never mention any of this, which annoys the hell out of me.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 8:30:53 PM
Yeah, he's qualified. But I wouldn't want him representing me. Kinda reminds me of Arlen Specter (Senator from PA who switched from Rep. to Dem. just to have a better chance at getting re-elected). These kind of people aren't serving their representatives, they are serving themselves.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 8:33:52 PM
At 6/16/2009 8:23:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
Good point, and to be honest, I'm never really sure if he said that or not. Ignatieff is kind of the guy that never really thought he'd be in the position to lead - he has made a lot of gaffes. If he said it, I wouldn't be surprised, but if it was taken out of context, I still wouldn't be surprised.

But, the difference is that Ignatieff has wrote extensively on his family's contribution in Canada (both sides of his family have a long, public and political history here) and he has always said - never once waivered - that Canada is a great example to the world. These ads never mention any of this, which annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah, I suppose you can't really expect his opposition to say anything good about him though.

I didn't realize you were Canadian until now. I take it you'll be voting for this Ignatieff chap?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 10:15:20 PM
At 6/16/2009 8:33:52 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
I didn't realize you were Canadian until now. I take it you'll be voting for this Ignatieff chap?

Most definitely. He's leader of the Liberals, and much better than the last one we had.

@Nags:
Thats what the Conservatives want you to think. This guy has been with the Liberals since he was qualified to be a member, but he just decided to stay out of politics and the country for awhile. I've met him several times - he is a top-of-the-line guy, and cares deeply about the country, at least as far as I can tell.

To paraphrase Bob Rae, politics is about wanting two things: power and values. You need to have the ambition to have power for yourself, but you also need the values that will help you use that power for the citizens than put you in that position. Ignatieff has both. More than the current Prime Minister - this is the guy that during the middle of a recession, tried to cripple the opposition parties financially. Stephen Harper is just in it for himself, so to speak.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 11:57:30 PM
Yes, working at Oxford, Harvard, a journalist if MSM, those parts are bad.

The being outside part I don't much care about and wouldn't even if I was Canadian, but the kind of ideas that get you to those places have had quite enough time in office just about everywhere thank you very much.

And any philosopher who can be called "Well respected" without qualification can't possibly be much of a philosopher :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.