Jump to topic:

Cost of War.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 4:32:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'd consider myself fairly knowledgeable of political going-ons; however, apparently I've been missing something huge. Now that the cost for the wars in the Middle east have exceeded 870 billion dollars, can anyone remind me what has been accomplished there thus far that was worth all of the money, the repercussions on tax payers, the lives lost, etc.? I know what the point of the war(s) are SUPPOSED to be, buuuut... ?!
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 4:40:20 PM
$870 billion? Try trillions...
-Most of the money for the wars in the Middle East are not included in the actual budget. I believe it is called supplementary spending or something like that.

The wars in the Middle East and the War on Terrorism is a joke... they are not protecting us at all. They are a waste of money.

The over 11 trillion dollar national debt and the 2 trillion dollar budget deficit is much more important to the well-being of our country than the un-needed wars we have going on right now.

Most of the time, war is unnecessary and avoidable.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 4:42:19 PM
Iraq - nothing much, but having a friendly, non-aggressive country that doesn't provoke Iran and doesn't have chemical weapons which could launch the Middle East into a cesspool of Sunni/Shi'a hatred is something. Plus, it gives the US undue influence in an area where it traditionally didn't have it (outside of oil revenues anyways). It secured Iraqi oil, and now has a launching pad from which it can attack Iran from, if the need arises.

Afghanistan - couldn't tell you. It has created more problems than its worth, especially pushing the Taliban in to Pakistan - big no-no. We have yet to find Osama and we've barely taken out any major Al-Qaeda leaders. Mind you, this is due to the Great War of Distraction in Iraq. So much of the money and focus was taken away from Afghanistan and funneled to Iraq, it didn't have a chance.
ISAF? Big joke. NATO isn't living up to what it should be. The Dutch, Canadians, British and Americans are the ones doing overtime there to help stabilize the country. Its like they haven't learn anything from Kosovo. Force the NATO countries to live up to what those four are doing and we'll see some real progress.

Essentially, the war that wasn't needed is the one that has become more successful than the one that is needed. I like Obama's initiative on this front - it makes sense. That is where the $850B could have gone to real use.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 7:31:09 PM
The first bit of money probably accomplished plenty (destroying governments that in varying ways help our enemies) The rest essentially, and intentionally, unaccomplished all that work.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.