Jump to topic:

Presidential Debate Tournament Idea

wmpeebles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 9:15:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In light of the recent presidential debates, and my aspirations to run for President of the United States sometime in the future, I have come up with the idea of a presidential debate tournament where 2, 4, 6, 8 or 16 or so members would be stating their case for the presidency of the United States.

Debate ideas:

- The "candidates" would be presenting why they would make a better president than their opponent if they were elected. The candidate who wins their round moves on and is paired with a random selection who won from a previous round.

- The candidates could appeal to the debate.org audience and flip-flop ideas just like real politicians do. Opponents could point these things out.

- Tournaments could be set up like real presidential debates. In a tournament of 8 pairs (16 participants), the first two rounds could be considered "primaries", and the final round could be considered the "presidential election". The first primary would consist of 4 Democratic debates and 4 Republican debates (although the participants don't have to have Republican or Democratic ideals. See Ron Paul). The presidential election would be Republican v. Democrat. Voting stipulations could require voters to vote only their political party in the first two primaries (as they are in real life), or there could be open primaries depending on how tournament rules are initially set up by the commissioner. Anybody, regardless of party affiliation could vote in the presidential election.

- Tournaments could require participants to have finished a certain number of debates to prove that they are committed to seeing the tournament through, or require participants to have been members of debate.org for a certain period of time. This would all be decided by the tournament commissioner. This would be a way to try to prevent tournaments from falling through.

- All debates would be uniform and specifications would be set up by the commissioner. Example: 72 hours, 8,000 characters, 5 rounds, length of voting period, perhaps allow for overflow into Google docs or some other medium, etc...

- In the first primary, participants can choose their opponents or the commissioner could decide them by random.

- Any person who forfeits could be eliminated from participating in the next primary in respect to the terms of the tournament agreed to when signing up.

- In an 8 debate initial primary (4 Republican, 4 Democrat), the 2nd primaries don't necessarily have to have only 2 debates for each party. A wildcard selection process could exist where all the members who lost of each party would be ranked by voters in the forums. The top two Republicans and two Democrats would advance even though they technically lost so that there would be 3 debates each for Republicans and Democrats instead of 2. Such a tournament would be long and drawn out, but would be somewhat more realistic.

Anyway, these are my ideas for now and I'd love to hear input from other members as well.