Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Monopolies

DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 6:59:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I constantly hear the Left use monopolies as an argument against the free market, however most monopolies are created through Keynesian style economics. The monopolies that are not state implemented, are created by the customers valuing their brand over competitors, and are very rare in market directed economies.
Monopolies that are not state-chartered, must maintain customer satisfaction, or smaller companies could emerge eliminating their monopoly.

The East India Trading Company is an example of a State-chartered Monopoly. In fact the British Government appointed people to run the East India trading company, making it socialistic in nature.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:04:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Monopoly is the essence of the state.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Regulation is Needed

Regulation is necessary for the best economic prosperity in society when regulation is implemented in a smart way. Here are the reasons why regulation is needed:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)
Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)
Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)
Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)
Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)
Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

What about Standard Oil? What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly). There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel, De Beers, Western Union, probably Microsoft.)
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:11:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:03:21 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Standard Oil?

Standard Oil had many competitors. They were just terrible, and hated Standard Oil for its low prices. Consumers still loved Standard Oil.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:12:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:
Regulation is Needed

Regulation is necessary for the best economic prosperity in society when regulation is implemented in a smart way. Here are the reasons why regulation is needed:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)
Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)
Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)
Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)
Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)
Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

What about Standard Oil? What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly). There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel, De Beers, Western Union, probably Microsoft.)

Name a monopoly that arose without the aid of government regulation. Besides, isn't it silly to ask the government to use its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:15:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:03:21 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Standard Oil?

Band-Aid doesn't even have a monopoly on adhesive bandages, which is a testament to how hard it is to form a monopoly without state intervention; adhesive bandages are most commonly referred to as Band-Aids
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:16:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:12:52 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Google's a monopoly, basically.

Yeah just ask Yahoo, and Bing
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:19:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Name a monopoly that arose without the aid of government regulation. Besides, isn't it silly to ask the government to use its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies?

I did. U.S. Steel, Standard Oil, Microsoft. Gov't regulation wouldn't facilitate these companies becoming monopolies. The principle of Economy of Scale makes beating established monopolies extremely difficult. For example, a way that large businesses (or monopolies) can block out small business' from entering the market is through predatory pricing. The big business prices its items so low, sometimes at a loss. Then, when the small business goes bankrupt, prices immediately go to where they should be (higher), or inflated. You would think that people who support Capitalism feverently would support regulation to protect Competition.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:20:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:16:02 PM, DanT wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:12:52 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Google's a monopoly, basically.

Yeah just ask Yahoo, and Bing

You don't Yahoo something, you Google something. If you want to look something on the internet, it's not Bing you turn to, but Google you do.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:25:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:20:11 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:16:02 PM, DanT wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:12:52 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Google's a monopoly, basically.

Yeah just ask Yahoo, and Bing

You don't Yahoo something, you Google something. If you want to look something on the internet, it's not Bing you turn to, but Google you do.

That's good branding, it's not a monopoly
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:26:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)

There are no examples of predatory pricing in history.

Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)

That would decrease competition, not increase it.

Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)

Those should be crimes regardless of monopoly status.

Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)

Again, nothing to do with monopoly. Having competitors doesn't justify lying.

Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)

If anything, a monopoly would go against that, reversing the Tragedy of the Commons.

Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

I don't even understand this contention. What are you talking about?

What about Standard Oil?

At first, it had little competition, clearly the best in the field. Prices dropped. Consumers loved them.
Eventually, other competitors appeared with similar efficiency, and Standard Oil had to try hard to stay ahead of the pack. It was then attacked by the anti-trusts.

What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly).

Are cereal prices too high or something? I usually see lots of off-brand cereals that advertise being up to 50% cheaper than the main brand cereals. I buy those instead.

There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel

It used to rule the steel industry, but eventually fell behind other competitors.

De Beers

That monopoly essentially ended in 2000.

Western Union

Lost to the telephone.

probably Microsoft.)

OpenOffice, as terrible as it is, wins out on price.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:28:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Monopolies are justified in certain circumstances. The ones in which they are justified are:

1. Natural monopolies. A market where the original resource costs to much to implement effectively in another company and where the entrance costs are very high. Ex. Water distribution

2. Economics to Scale. This is when large companies can produce goods at lower prices than new entrants into the market and therefore make there be a very high cost of entry.

These monopolies are naturally going to occur in a a free market system. The adverse drawbacks to these are rather low.

The times in which monopolies are not justified are in times in which companies form cartels, price fix, or use predatory pricing techniques. The government must step in and "regulate" this behaviour because this is simply fraud.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:28:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:19:48 PM, Contra wrote:
Name a monopoly that arose without the aid of government regulation. Besides, isn't it silly to ask the government to use its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies?

I did. U.S. Steel, Standard Oil, Microsoft. Gov't regulation wouldn't facilitate these companies becoming monopolies. The principle of Economy of Scale makes beating established monopolies extremely difficult. For example, a way that large businesses (or monopolies) can block out small business' from entering the market is through predatory pricing. The big business prices its items so low, sometimes at a loss. Then, when the small business goes bankrupt, prices immediately go to where they should be (higher), or inflated. You would think that people who support Capitalism feverently would support regulation to protect Competition.

Microsoft has a monopoly? Are you sure? Apple might disagree. How about some current ones? Like Walmart? Oh wait...

True, sometimes big business drives out small business, but there's no reason to assume that increased efficiency and decreased price is bad. Again, how can you justify the government using its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies? Isn't that hypocritical?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:35:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:28:48 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:19:48 PM, Contra wrote:
Name a monopoly that arose without the aid of government regulation. Besides, isn't it silly to ask the government to use its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies?

I did. U.S. Steel, Standard Oil, Microsoft. Gov't regulation wouldn't facilitate these companies becoming monopolies. The principle of Economy of Scale makes beating established monopolies extremely difficult. For example, a way that large businesses (or monopolies) can block out small business' from entering the market is through predatory pricing. The big business prices its items so low, sometimes at a loss. Then, when the small business goes bankrupt, prices immediately go to where they should be (higher), or inflated. You would think that people who support Capitalism feverently would support regulation to protect Competition.

Microsoft has a monopoly? Are you sure? Apple might disagree. How about some current ones? Like Walmart? Oh wait...

True, sometimes big business drives out small business, but there's no reason to assume that increased efficiency and decreased price is bad. Again, how can you justify the government using its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies? Isn't that hypocritical?

That has to be the most irritating myth I hear out of libertarians and anarchists on a daily basis. Enough. A democratic government does not have a monopoly on power in the manner you portray,...true the institution of government has singular control over the use of force, but it should also be noted that the institution of government is controlled by the higher authority of the people. Something is not ENTIRELY a monopoly, if it operates and is constructed under public opinion. A democratic government does not do things the majority of its people do not support, ever... So its annoying how libertarians turn alarmist about the pseudo-monopoly they call the state, ...yet have no problem with the monopolies of businesses, which act independently of people and are controlled by the same individuals for as long as they so desire.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:41:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:35:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:28:48 PM, thett3 wrote:

Microsoft has a monopoly? Are you sure? Apple might disagree. How about some current ones? Like Walmart? Oh wait...

True, sometimes big business drives out small business, but there's no reason to assume that increased efficiency and decreased price is bad. Again, how can you justify the government using its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies? Isn't that hypocritical?

That has to be the most irritating myth I hear out of libertarians and anarchists on a daily basis. Enough. A democratic government does not have a monopoly on power in the manner you portray,...true the institution of government has singular control over the use of force, but it should also be noted that the institution of government is controlled by the higher authority of the people. Something is not ENTIRELY a monopoly, if it operates and is constructed under public opinion. A democratic government does not do things the majority of its people do not support, ever... So its annoying how libertarians turn alarmist about the pseudo-monopoly they call the state, ...yet have no problem with the monopolies of businesses, which act independently of people and are controlled by the same individuals for as long as they so desire.

A state is a judicial monopoly. Your argument that its "controlled by the higher authority of the people" is quite simply false, democratic governments very often go against the will of the people living there. Secondly (and more importantly) the majority of people supporting something is no argument for it's goodness. People have been shown to believe in utter nonsense many times before.

What's particularly silly in my mind is that monopolies are generally abhorred because they force the individual to buy their product because no competition exists, but at least they can opt out of it. I can choose not to buy a product, but I can't choose to not have my income taken by the state and be subject to the states laws. So I don't see how anyone could view the state as anything but a monopoly. The debate lies in if that's a good thing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:11:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:28:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Monopolies are justified in certain circumstances. The ones in which they are justified are:

1. Natural monopolies. A market where the original resource costs to much to implement effectively in another company and where the entrance costs are very high. Ex. Water distribution

2. Economics to Scale. This is when large companies can produce goods at lower prices than new entrants into the market and therefore make there be a very high cost of entry.

These monopolies are naturally going to occur in a a free market system. The adverse drawbacks to these are rather low.

The times in which monopolies are not justified are in times in which companies form cartels, price fix, or use predatory pricing techniques. The government must step in and "regulate" this behaviour because this is simply fraud.

Natural monopolies are mostly fine I guess, cause you can't really do much about it, and it is usually locally owned.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:20:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:26:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)

There are no examples of predatory pricing in history.

Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)

That would decrease competition, not increase it.

Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)

Those should be crimes regardless of monopoly status.

Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)

Again, nothing to do with monopoly. Having competitors doesn't justify lying.

Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)

If anything, a monopoly would go against that, reversing the Tragedy of the Commons.

Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

I don't even understand this contention. What are you talking about?

What about Standard Oil?

At first, it had little competition, clearly the best in the field. Prices dropped. Consumers loved them.
Eventually, other competitors appeared with similar efficiency, and Standard Oil had to try hard to stay ahead of the pack. It was then attacked by the anti-trusts.

What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly).

Are cereal prices too high or something? I usually see lots of off-brand cereals that advertise being up to 50% cheaper than the main brand cereals. I buy those instead.

There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel

It used to rule the steel industry, but eventually fell behind other competitors.

De Beers

That monopoly essentially ended in 2000.

Western Union

Lost to the telephone.

probably Microsoft.)

OpenOffice, as terrible as it is, wins out on price.

1) Lowes and Walmart have performed predatory pricing.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
2) High quality goods at fair prices should be in the market. People care mostly about price. So the higher priced, higher quality items would likely go out of the market. Regulation makes quality have a floor limit. Remember The Jungle in the unregulated early 1900s with rats and chemicals in the meat?
3) So you agree with this type of regulation.
4) I messed up. Wide access to services AND preventing financial instability are two different points.
5) Standard Oil performed both vertical and horizontal integration to buy out its resources needed and its competitors.
6) So this is competition...
7) By government action I believe...

Last points...

Agreed.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:46:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:19:48 PM, Contra wrote:
Name a monopoly that arose without the aid of government regulation. Besides, isn't it silly to ask the government to use its monopolistic powers to fight monopolies?

I did. Standard Oil.

Standard Oil used a series of Patents to eliminate their competition.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
LibertyCampbell
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Milton spits the usual mantra by conservatives. (Which I agree with)

Watch it if you want to be informed, or don't. Blah.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 9:18:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:
Regulation is Needed

Regulation is necessary for the best economic prosperity in society when regulation is implemented in a smart way. Here are the reasons why regulation is needed:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)
Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)
Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)
Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)
Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)
Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

What about Standard Oil? What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly). There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel, De Beers, Western Union, probably Microsoft.)

Didn't you and I debate this?
http://www.debate.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 9:36:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The point is that most monopolies are in fact brought upon and maintaining by government regulation. If you look at monopolies in history, the overwhelming majority of them are a result of government intervention in the economy. The obvious fix to this is to deregulate the industries and let foreign and local competition come in and compete with monopolies.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:05:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 9:36:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The point is that most monopolies are in fact brought upon and maintaining by government regulation. If you look at monopolies in history, the overwhelming majority of them are a result of government intervention in the economy. The obvious fix to this is to deregulate the industries and let foreign and local competition come in and compete with monopolies.

Except for the fact that deregulation of utilities has 100% failed.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:08:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 10:05:59 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 2/26/2012 9:36:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The point is that most monopolies are in fact brought upon and maintaining by government regulation. If you look at monopolies in history, the overwhelming majority of them are a result of government intervention in the economy. The obvious fix to this is to deregulate the industries and let foreign and local competition come in and compete with monopolies.

Except for the fact that deregulation of utilities has 100% failed.

Really? Prove it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:26:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 8:49:02 PM, LibertyCampbell wrote:


Milton spits the usual mantra by conservatives. (Which I agree with)

Watch it if you want to be informed, or don't. Blah.

Friedman's argument regarding foreign competition presupposes capital controls, which subsequent conservatives have dismantled.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:34:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 9:18:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:
Regulation is Needed

Regulation is necessary for the best economic prosperity in society when regulation is implemented in a smart way. Here are the reasons why regulation is needed:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)
Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)
Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)
Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)
Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)
Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

What about Standard Oil? What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly). There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel, De Beers, Western Union, probably Microsoft.)

Didn't you and I debate this?
http://www.debate.org...

YES WE DID!

However, I WOULD STRONGLY WANT to debate on this topic again... as I feel my opinions and debates have gotten stronger. For example in the debate, my deregulation argument that I said caused the Great Recession - I took a whole round for that, instead of just 4-5 sentences.

I would debate this resolution, for example, in a few days after I finish my exams.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 11:41:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 10:34:05 PM, Contra wrote:
At 2/26/2012 9:18:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/26/2012 7:10:35 PM, Contra wrote:
Regulation is Needed

Regulation is necessary for the best economic prosperity in society when regulation is implemented in a smart way. Here are the reasons why regulation is needed:

Creates a level playing field and ensures competition (no predatory pricing against small businesses)
Maintain quality standards for services (ex: specifying qualification requirements for service providers)
Protects consumers (from false advertising, fraud, financial abuse, etc.)
Ensures sufficient information in sales (no false or lying advertisements, which distorts the marketplace)
Prevent enviornmental degradation (make sure companies don't dump waste in lakes, etc.)
Guarantee wide access to services
Preventing financial instability and protecting consumer savings from risk taking by financial institutions

What about Standard Oil? What about the cereal industry (it is now an oligopoly). There are others as well, such as U.S. Steel, De Beers, Western Union, probably Microsoft.)

Didn't you and I debate this?
http://www.debate.org...

YES WE DID!

However, I WOULD STRONGLY WANT to debate on this topic again... as I feel my opinions and debates have gotten stronger. For example in the debate, my deregulation argument that I said caused the Great Recession - I took a whole round for that, instead of just 4-5 sentences.

I would debate this resolution, for example, in a few days after I finish my exams.

Lol I would not re do it as well I haven't spent time thinking about it XD. I hope you get a good opponent :)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 12:22:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/26/2012 10:08:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/26/2012 10:05:59 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 2/26/2012 9:36:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The point is that most monopolies are in fact brought upon and maintaining by government regulation. If you look at monopolies in history, the overwhelming majority of them are a result of government intervention in the economy. The obvious fix to this is to deregulate the industries and let foreign and local competition come in and compete with monopolies.

Except for the fact that deregulation of utilities has 100% failed.

Really? Prove it.

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org...
http://www.usatoday.com...
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 12:43:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 12:22:58 AM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 2/26/2012 10:08:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 2/26/2012 10:05:59 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 2/26/2012 9:36:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The point is that most monopolies are in fact brought upon and maintaining by government regulation. If you look at monopolies in history, the overwhelming majority of them are a result of government intervention in the economy. The obvious fix to this is to deregulate the industries and let foreign and local competition come in and compete with monopolies.

Except for the fact that deregulation of utilities has 100% failed.

Really? Prove it.

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org...
http://www.usatoday.com...

Do you think that could have anything to do with the fact that the public utilities get governmental funding that the private utilities don't? Or the fact that the public utilities aren't charging enough to be able to cover maintenance/upgrade costs, and are having to take extra money from the government to pay for those?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13