Jump to topic:

Herbert Hoover

Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 5:48:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I say that he did nothing to start the Great Depression and did try to stop the Great Depression and even handed out aid to Depression victims out of his own pocket.

But he also saved millions of Russian lives by providing millions of pounds of grain to a starving Russia.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:03:07 PM
You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

The Smoot Hawley tariff is one of the largest causes of the Depression since it diminished both imports and exports, virtually cut off trade with war-torn, poverty-stricken Europe, and screwed over Farmers at home. Then we can also blame him for the speculation that caused the Stock Market Crash since he essentially encouraged it assuring everyone that the economy was indestructable. And then, at the onset of Black Thursday, he refused to do anything about it and decided to be "Mr. Conservative" claiming a necessity for private initiative and pretty much begging corporations to comply.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:07:31 PM
Ikes right. I know you want to have the perception that Roosevelt had nothing to do with solving the Great depression, and that things would've been better under a second term of Hoover, but it really isnt that simple.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:09:06 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:03:07 PM, 000ike wrote:

The Smoot Hawley tariff is one of the largest causes of the Depression since it diminished both imports and exports, virtually cut off trade with war-torn, poverty-stricken Europe, and screwed over Farmers at home. Then we can also blame him for the speculation that caused the Stock Market Crash since he essentially encouraged it assuring everyone that the economy was indestructable. And then, at the onset of Black Thursday, he refused to do anything about it and decided to be "Mr. Conservative" claiming a necessity for private initiative and pretty much begging corporations to comply.

Wilson and the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression. Yes, he did have the Smoot Hawley tariff, which was not good. But he did help people affected by the depression from his own pocket.

Here is the culprit list:

The Main Cause of the Great Depression: Woodrow Wilson
The Main Reason the Great Depression lasted so long: Franklin D. Roosevelt
Kind of helped the Great Depression: Herbert Hoover
Had no effect on the Great Depression: Warren Harding & Calvin Coolidge
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:09:41 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:07:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
Ikes right. I know you want to have the perception that Roosevelt had nothing to do with solving the Great depression, and that things would've been better under a second term of Hoover, but it really isnt that simple.

Well he didn't cause the Great Depression.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:11:11 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:09:41 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Not completely, no. Saying he "caused" the Great Depression is about as idiotic as saying that Woodrow Wilson caused WWI. It's just something that happened, perhaps he could've taken steps to avoid it or to lessen it, but he didnt cause it. That's not an argument.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:11:34 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:09:06 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Wilson and the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression. Yes, he did have the Smoot Hawley tariff, which was not good. But he did help people affected by the depression from his own pocket.

shocking how the person who wants to add "end the fed" to the big issues on DDO would blame the depression on a president years before the depression even started...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:12:44 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:11:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/28/2012 6:09:41 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Not completely, no. Saying he "caused" the Great Depression is about as idiotic as saying that Woodrow Wilson caused WWI.

Correct. But some people do not realize that.
It's just something that happened, perhaps he could've taken steps to avoid it or to lessen it, but he didnt cause it. That's not an argument.

He could have done a better job, but he did do a pretty good job. I mean the economy goes back up around the end of this presidency.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:13:34 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:11:34 PM, imabench wrote:

shocking how the person who wants to add "end the fed" to the big issues on DDO would blame the depression on a president years before the depression even started...

Well since the Fed caused the Great Depression, that is another reason to end the fed.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:16:11 PM
How exactly did the Fed cause the great depression, and what alternative do you suggest?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:18:10 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:13:34 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Well since the Fed caused the Great Depression, that is another reason to end the fed.

LMAO. The Fed was created DURING the Depression after the banks crashed. Can you honestly spew this stuff with a straight face?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:19:08 PM

I tend to notice that we love to play the Blame Game around here. Does it matter WHO caused the Depression and WHO didn't? I agree with you Ike, but I just find it funny that we actually try and assign blame to things when, in the end, no one agrees, no true source can be found, and really, it's irrelevant, as it all led to the same situation.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:19:23 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:18:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LMAO. The Fed was created DURING the Depression after the banks crashed. Can you honestly spew this stuff with a straight face?

You're actually incorrect here, the Fed was created in 1913. Of course, there were ALOT of banking reforms during the Depression, so I think the substance behind your argument remains.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:19:35 PM

You're asserting lies without even a smidgen of support. You mind explaining what Woodrow Wilson had to do with the Great Depression? Harding appointed Sec. of Treasury Andrew Mellon, who CAUSED the speculation bubble with his incessant demands for tax cuts....Herbert Hoover did nothing to stop the Depression, he removed his hands from the economy the second it started. He was just as Big-Government as anyone else until the crash, then he refused to do ANYTHING...he called a conference in Washington to ASK corporations to PLEASE not fire workers and maintain wages, and starting spouting the doctrine of private initiative for the first time in his presidency.

His idiotic economic policies caused the depression, and then he copped out when it got bad under the veil of private initiative....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:19:44 PM

The Fed was created in 1913.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:20:05 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:16:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
How exactly did the Fed cause the great depression, and what alternative do you suggest?

I would use my version of the argument, but for the point of time:

"Since the Democrats had more political power at the time the Federal Reserve System passed in congress and was signed by Democratic president Woodrow Wilson. Thus the Federal Reserve was created on December, 23, 1913.

Originally the Federal Reserve lowered interest rates and as a result the economy saw an increase in borrowing. Investors and business owners who saw rising stock prices and low interest rates figured it was a no-brainer.

After all, if you could borrow money at 1% and put it into a market making 20% a year it simply made sense for people to borrow more money. This then lead to the roaring 20's were the economy was good, businesses where thriving, and unemployment was low. But there was one problem.

All of the money flowing into the economy thanks to the Federal Reserve and their low interest rate created inflation. As incomes went up, so did the price of goods and business costs.

The economy was now dependent upon the inflow of money from the Federal Reserve and the low interest rates.

When the Fed increased interest rates in 1929 it would be one of the main causes of the great depression. As a result less loans were being created and less money was able to flow into the economy.

Some investors who saw this happening got out of the marketplace early, weakening the bullish market. As the markets stopped going up investors began to panic and sell their shares of stock. Overleveraged investors scared of losing their life savings sold their shares of stock and forced the market downward.

All this sparked the beginning of black Tuesday October 29, 1929 the day the stock market crashed.

After the crash Americans started spending less and started saving more. This lead to less production and less jobs, causing unemployment to go higher and higher."[1]

[1]:http://www.stocks-simplified.com...
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:20:40 PM

The Fed was created in 1913.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:21:23 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:19:35 PM, 000ike wrote:

You're asserting lies without even a smidgen of support. You mind explaining what Woodrow Wilson had to do with the Great Depression? Harding appointed Sec. of Treasury Andrew Mellon, who CAUSED the speculation bubble with his incessant demands for tax cuts....Herbert Hoover did nothing to stop the Depression, he removed his hands from the economy the second it started. He was just as Big-Government as anyone else until the crash, then he refused to do ANYTHING...he called a conference in Washington to ASK corporations to PLEASE not fire workers and maintain wages, and starting spouting the doctrine of private initiative for the first time in his presidency.

His idiotic economic policies caused the depression, and then he copped out when it got bad under the veil of private initiative....

Lmao, it sounds like you're on the same APUSH unit as we are. Weird how you take that class freshman year, and we take it Junior year.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:21:54 PM

The failure to maintain monetary policy by the Federal Reserve was one of the key aspects that lead to the elongation of the Great Depression.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:22:43 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:21:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The failure to maintain monetary policy by the Federal Reserve was one of the key aspects that lead to the elongation of the Great Depression.

Could you be a bit more specific? Like what exactly was flawed in their monetary policy?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:23:38 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:22:43 PM, thett3 wrote:

Could you be a bit more specific? Like what exactly was flawed in their monetary policy?

They did not print enough money to lend to the banks and therefore a drop in money supply occurred.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:23:49 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:21:23 PM, thett3 wrote:

Lmao, it sounds like you're on the same APUSH unit as we are. Weird how you take that class freshman year, and we take it Junior year.

no, we finished the Great Depression 2 months ago. Right now, we went back to US 1 and we're reviewing Colonial America - WWI for the APUSH test. My teacher is insane...she makes us say mantras like "I will get a 5 on the AP test" and then makes us dance to the order of the presidents.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:25:24 PM

If you ever need to know how the fed caused the stock market crash: http://www.debate.org... there you go lol
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:26:11 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:23:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/28/2012 6:21:23 PM, thett3 wrote:

no, we finished the Great Depression 2 months ago. Right now, we went back to US 1 and we're reviewing Colonial America - WWI for the APUSH test. My teacher is insane...she makes us say mantras like "I will get a 5 on the AP test" and then makes us dance to the order of the presidents.

That's bad@ss. Although, you'll probably learn it easier with this song :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:26:44 PM
At 2/28/2012 6:23:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

They did not print enough money to lend to the banks and therefore a drop in money supply occurred.

Ahh ok, thanks.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett