Jump to topic:

What does signing a convention imply?

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 6:45:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
For example, given that Transnational crime is a big problem in America, the organisation of American states passed a convention: The United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised Crime. However, I noticed that a few countries have just signed the convention, without ratification, acceptance, accession, approval.

So that implies that they are basically skirting around? Does this signal that they are not that serious about implementing it? And also, since I'm not from America, could someone tell me the reputation of Barbados regarding the crimes in the country/ basically the status of crimes in the country. Or direct me to a site that would be helpful. Wikipedia is sh!t for this research.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:29:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/29/2012 6:45:23 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
For example, given that Transnational crime is a big problem in America, the organisation of American states passed a convention: The United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised Crime. However, I noticed that a few countries have just signed the convention, without ratification, acceptance, accession, approval.

So that implies that they are basically skirting around? Does this signal that they are not that serious about implementing it? And also, since I'm not from America, could someone tell me the reputation of Barbados regarding the crimes in the country/ basically the status of crimes in the country. Or direct me to a site that would be helpful. Wikipedia is sh!t for this research.

Look up Sovereignty. Every nation has the authority to pass and make its own laws. As a rule signing a convention is meaningless as a matter of Law. It must be formed into a treaty and then ratified pursuant to the laws of each individual nation. Same with War. The USA does not recognize International Courts because the Constitution prohibits it.