Jump to topic:

Flag Burning?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:41:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why are almost everyone against flag burning. It's traditional. When the flag touches the ground you have to burn it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:50:23 AM
At 3/1/2012 9:41:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Why are almost everyone against flag burning. It's traditional. When the flag touches the ground you have to burn it.

No, you are confusing two different clauses of the flag code.

Title 4 chapter 1 Section 8 (b) "The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the
ground, the floor, water, or merchandise."

Title 4 chapter 1 Section 8 (k) "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a
fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way,
preferably by burning."
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:56:20 AM
At 3/1/2012 9:50:23 AM, DanT wrote:

Title 4 chapter 1 Section 8 (b) "The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the

Title 4 chapter 1 Section 8 (k) "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a
preferably by burning."

LOL wow....the flag is merely a symbol. The etiquette is from the Amvets. The citations you make are moot pursuant to the US supreme Court. I can do whatever I want with the flag, burn it, carpet my floor, or wipe my backside. That is the nature of liberty.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 10:00:30 AM
§8 respecting the flag
A.) No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
B.) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
C.) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
D.) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
E.) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
F.) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
G.) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
H.) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
I.) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
J.) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
K.) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 10:04:30 AM
At 3/1/2012 10:00:30 AM, DanT wrote:
§8 respecting the flag
A.) No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
B.) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
C.) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
D.) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
E.) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
F.) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
G.) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
H.) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
I.) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
J.) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
K.) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning

Marines carry them in their back pocket. You are goofy. Semper fi and OFR
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 10:04:38 AM
At 3/1/2012 9:56:20 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/1/2012 9:50:23 AM, DanT wrote:

preferably by burning."

LOL wow....the flag is merely a symbol. The etiquette is from the Amvets. The citations you make are moot pursuant to the US supreme Court. I can do whatever I want with the flag, burn it, carpet my floor, or wipe my backside. That is the nature of liberty.

WTF do you have aspergers?
All I said was its not traditional to burn the flag for touching the ground.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 8:17:19 PM
Right wing elements of our society believe that flag burning is not only unpatriotic, but also a form of hate speech. Flag burning didn't really become a big issue until after the Iraq War started and flag burning as a form of protest resurfaced in America. Fortunately flag burning is protected under the First Amendment, because it is a form of dissent and free speech.

These same arguments come up every time we go to war and patriotism turns to jingoism. In my opinion flag burning is a form of dissent and should not be illegal, because such a law would be unconstitutional. In a free society people must be allowed to do these things.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 8:31:40 PM
I am personally against it, should it be banned? No
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Starcraftzzz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 8:39:42 PM

Because republicans are idiots who think the government should have to power to control you but not the power to handout food
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 8:46:19 PM
At 3/1/2012 8:17:19 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
Right wing elements of our society believe that flag burning is not only unpatriotic, but also a form of hate speech. Flag burning didn't really become a big issue until after the Iraq War started and flag burning as a form of protest resurfaced in America. Fortunately flag burning is protected under the First Amendment, because it is a form of dissent and free speech.

These same arguments come up every time we go to war and patriotism turns to jingoism. In my opinion flag burning is a form of dissent and should not be illegal, because such a law would be unconstitutional. In a free society people must be allowed to do these things.

No, flag burning was considered offensive in 60's and 70's too.

The 1968 Federal Flag Desecration Law was a direct response to a protest, in which peace activists burned American flags in Central Park, to protest the Vietnam War.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 8:51:42 PM
At 3/1/2012 8:31:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:

agreed, so long as it's not in a public venue. If your on private property, than fine. Don't stand in front of a public high-school, and light a flag on fire. A private high-school campus, is fine if the college permits it, just don't do it on tax payer funded property.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:08:21 PM
At 3/1/2012 8:46:19 PM, DanT wrote:

The 1968 Federal Flag Desecration Law was a direct response to a protest, in which peace activists burned American flags in Central Park, to protest the Vietnam War.

As I said, these same arguments surface every time our country goes to war. I imagine flag burning has been considered offensive since 1776.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:15:05 PM
At 3/1/2012 8:51:42 PM, DanT wrote:
At 3/1/2012 8:31:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:

agreed, so long as it's not in a public venue. If your on private property, than fine. Don't stand in front of a public high-school, and light a flag on fire. A private high-school campus, is fine if the college permits it, just don't do it on tax payer funded property.

This
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 6:11:10 AM
At 3/1/2012 9:08:21 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 3/1/2012 8:46:19 PM, DanT wrote:

As I said, these same arguments surface every time our country goes to war. I imagine flag burning has been considered offensive since 1776.

I do not think so....in 1776 tar and feathers was considered bringing in line. Burning a flag was given its proper place...irrelevant. As to 1968, it was to piss off the democrat establishment, most of whom were New Deal jerks. A bit less imagination goes a long way.