Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Love arguing about politics on DDO?

imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 10:59:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Started a tourney if your interested, im only promoting this once right here, after this I will stop

http://www.debate.org...

PS, topics include obamacare, obama, offshore drilling, and gun control
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 8:37:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 12:40:04 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I need someone to affirm Obamacare to my Con. Surely there is Pro out there!

I will if you want me too.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 10:15:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 12:40:04 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I need someone to affirm Obamacare to my Con. Surely there is Pro out there!

You Republicans were Pro for the individual mandate just a few years ago... until it became unpopular in your establishment.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 10:18:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 10:15:23 AM, Contra wrote:
At 3/3/2012 12:40:04 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I need someone to affirm Obamacare to my Con. Surely there is Pro out there!

You Republicans were Pro for the individual mandate just a few years ago... until it became unpopular in your establishment.

Republicans were never Pro individual mandate as a group recently.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 3:55:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 8:37:28 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/3/2012 12:40:04 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I need someone to affirm Obamacare to my Con. Surely there is Pro out there!

I will if you want me too.

Your for Obamacare?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 4:25:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The idea of an individual mandate was kicked around by Republicans c. 1994 as an alternative to Hillarycare. It was considered, but rejected. Reject ideas are what we call "rejected."

The problem is how to pay for uninsured people who need emergency care. Human nature is such that no one will let grandma die on the pavement if she is hit by a truck and cannot pay for it. Libertarians haven't figured that out, it seems, but that is the case. The individual mandate seems to solve that problem, but it has the side effect of destroying the healthcare system.

I think we should send a bill for the medical services. People with income can pay it off by payroll deductions. If there s an estate, an unpaid charge can be claimed. If there is no money to pay, the bill is cancelled upon settlement of the estate.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 4:31:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
On DDO there are about 6000 members favoring national health care and about 3000 opposed. I'd like to get someone who favors it to defend it.
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 4:51:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 4:31:01 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
On DDO there are about 6000 members favoring national health care and about 3000 opposed. I'd like to get someone who favors it to defend it.

I will (although it's not really my first choice healthcare system). Set up the challenge.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 4:57:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 4:25:28 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The idea of an individual mandate was kicked around by Republicans c. 1994 as an alternative to Hillarycare. It was considered, but rejected. Reject ideas are what we call "rejected."

The problem is how to pay for uninsured people who need emergency care. Human nature is such that no one will let grandma die on the pavement if she is hit by a truck and cannot pay for it. Libertarians haven't figured that out, it seems, but that is the case. The individual mandate seems to solve that problem, but it has the side effect of destroying the healthcare system.

I think we should send a bill for the medical services. People with income can pay it off by payroll deductions. If there s an estate, an unpaid charge can be claimed. If there is no money to pay, the bill is cancelled upon settlement of the estate.

Huh, I don't have a problem with this. But I need to do more research on what you propose.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 5:13:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/3/2012 4:51:06 PM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/3/2012 4:31:01 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
On DDO there are about 6000 members favoring national health care and about 3000 opposed. I'd like to get someone who favors it to defend it.

I will (although it's not really my first choice healthcare system). Set up the challenge.

Very good. I'll post a resolution and challenge for you to consider.
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 10:43:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here are the current spots left...

Gun control:
Pro:
Con: TUF

Obamacare:
Pro
Con: RoyLatham

Offshore Drilling:
Pro: ConservativePolitico
Con:

Obama:
Pro: Contra
Con: Lordknukle
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015