Jump to topic:

The tribal behavior of our DDO members.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:41:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A couple days ago I read a thread that gave the criteria which was needed to be a "conservative" and if your decision making brought you outside of that criteria you are not a "true conservative". I'd really like to know why someone should care. I don't, and I have no clue as to why I should care. Then I realized how tribal we've become here, and of course by "we" I don't mean me. I never cared for being part of a group, team, party, side etc.

I'd like to think that my values drives my decision making and where I stand on issues, not some idiotic need to meet the definition of a label. Think about it, is it more intellectually honest to apply one's values to an issue, or prescribe to the criteria of a label which will place your position for you? Is it better to have clarity on a value of freedom or equality, or the need to be part of a clan?

So much of the vapid discussion that has become a recent characteristic of DDO is the tribal behavior of its membership. Of course this is true for both sides of the political spectrum, and pretty much anyone who finds great value in labels.

Now I understand that there is an age here where people are developing their own identities, and such tribal distinction for the individual seems to be of greater importance than the intellectual support that the tribe's definition may require. However, It would be my hope that the shallow bickering would evolve into a greater test of intellectual credos. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:48:24 AM
The very behavior that you described here innomen is the exact behavior that is, to me, the Achille's heel of the site--albeit one that is easy to get past once you're truly passed it.

When I first joined, I felt compelled to identify with a group/tribe But that quickly gave way to my actually wanting to find true positions for myself. My profile says "Libertarian," which is the truest out of the short descriptors, but, as another person (I think it was darkkermit) really showed me, labels like that are really a disservice to your own beliefs. In other words, the best way to describe your beliefs is to LITERALLY describe them.

My current beliefs about politics are cynical, to say the least. But, I think I'd rather be a political cynic than a political tribesman.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:54:57 AM
At 3/4/2012 11:47:36 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
+Infinity.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:55:59 AM
At 3/4/2012 11:48:24 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The very behavior that you described here innomen is the exact behavior that is, to me, the Achille's heel of the site--albeit one that is easy to get past once you're truly passed it.

When I first joined, I felt compelled to identify with a group/tribe But that quickly gave way to my actually wanting to find true positions for myself. My profile says "Libertarian," which is the truest out of the short descriptors, but, as another person (I think it was darkkermit) really showed me, labels like that are really a disservice to your own beliefs. In other words, the best way to describe your beliefs is to LITERALLY describe them.

My current beliefs about politics are cynical, to say the least. But, I think I'd rather be a political cynic than a political tribesman.

I think that it is normal to be a cynic politically if you are not going to adhere to a political agenda within a label.

I tend to describe myself as a libertarian too, but that's only because my values are of liberty over equality, and it's a shorthand way of describing myself, but I also believe in anti trust law to a certain extent, and draw a line where practical application of my ideal is detrimental and a net negative.

I don't understand why it's so tragic if someone say's you're not a real conservative, or a true liberal. To me it feels pretty good that I think for myself and am able to exist without external validation from a group. That's really what they're looking for, is a group validation of who they are. I don't require that in my life, and never have.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:01:33 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:55:59 AM, innomen wrote what we are (or should) be thinking:
I don't understand why it's so tragic if someone say's you're not a real conservative, or a true liberal. To me it feels pretty good that I think for myself and am able to exist without external validation from a group. That's really what they're looking for, is a group validation of who they are. I don't require that in my life, and never have.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:18:09 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:41:28 AM, innomen wrote:
A couple days ago I read a thread that gave the criteria which was needed to be a "conservative" and if your decision making brought you outside of that criteria you are not a "true conservative". I'd really like to know why someone should care. I don't, and I have no clue as to why I should care. Then I realized how tribal we've become here, and of course by "we" I don't mean me. I never cared for being part of a group, team, party, side etc.

I'd like to think that my values drives my decision making and where I stand on issues, not some idiotic need to meet the definition of a label. Think about it, is it more intellectually honest to apply one's values to an issue, or prescribe to the criteria of a label which will place your position for you? Is it better to have clarity on a value of freedom or equality, or the need to be part of a clan?

So much of the vapid discussion that has become a recent characteristic of DDO is the tribal behavior of its membership. Of course this is true for both sides of the political spectrum, and pretty much anyone who finds great value in labels.

Now I understand that there is an age here where people are developing their own identities, and such tribal distinction for the individual seems to be of greater importance than the intellectual support that the tribe's definition may require. However, It would be my hope that the shallow bickering would evolve into a greater test of intellectual credos. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

Not surprised, that caring is something you should not understand, not that accuracy and principle would be something you valued in the context of opinion. It seems your preferred option is subjective and based on your feelings of the time more than a thought out objective approach designed for legitimacy.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:20:31 PM
When people vote together, act together, and refuse to disagree by virtue of ideological association, then you can call that tribalism. Otherwise, there's no need to criticize the conversations about what defines a conservative and other ideologies. Understanding what those "labels" stand for and the views associated with them is as much a part of developing a sphere of views and positions, as discussing each issue individually. I don't like how you look down on it like its some inferior level of discourse. Let people talk about what they want to talk about and evolve intellectually at their own rates. It doesn't have to match what you've seen before on the site....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:25:36 PM
At 3/4/2012 12:20:31 PM, 000ike wrote:
When people vote together, act together, and refuse to disagree by virtue of ideological association, then you can call that tribalism. Otherwise, there's no need to criticize the conversations about what defines a conservative and other ideologies. Understanding what those "labels" stand for and the views associated with them is as much a part of developing a sphere of views and positions, as discussing each issue individually. I don't like how you look down on it like its some inferior level of discourse. Let people talk about what they want to talk about and evolve intellectually at their own rates. It doesn't have to match what you've seen before on the site....

and at the very least they aren't insulting each other. So let it be.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:36:53 PM

That's because it is an inferior level of discourse. It's shallow in that what you bring to the table is less important than the agenda that's being put to you. I make no attempt at controlling what people say, but am saddened at the thinking behind it. Understanding your values and then choosing the options before you is far more intellectually honest than prescribing to a label or party and adopting their platform.

You are wrong in that the level of discourse is indeed inferior when the labels are being thrown at each other in a silly clannish way, instead of developing a discourse on the values behind them. Adopting someone else's credo in order to join the clan is no different than a member of a cult following the rest of the sheep.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:39:01 PM

Are you really saying that this site shouldn't have standards?

You're reducing his argument to defining ideologies as tribalism, which I think is a little insincere. Innomen clearly stated that the recent conversation is an indication of the tribalism that he's noticed has increasingly become an innate characteristic of DDO in general. He then asserts that it is not conducive to rigorous intellectual or academic discourse. You disagree? I certainly don't. Turning political ideologies into interest clubs is essentially a large contributor of the major political discord we have today. There is a general disconnect between general society and the upper class/politics, because people misinterpret how definitions operate. You don't define concepts and then force yourself to interpret the concept in that way, no matter how illogical or irrational it becomes. You're supposed to assess each concept and define it based on a rational assessment derived by consensus.

Accordingly, it shouldn't matter at all, how you define your ideology, once you log onto this site. That is simply a way you present yourself in the way your face would to strangers you encounter at a bar. What matters at this point, is how you interpret it and how that can contribute to the collective intellectual discourse that's supposed to comprise this aspect of DDO (the forums).

You know, I can't help but think that you interpreted his post as an attack on the youth of these forums, and given you likely fit that description, you're probably feeling defensive...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:41:05 PM
At 3/4/2012 12:18:09 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:41:28 AM, innomen wrote:

Not surprised, that caring is something you should not understand, not that accuracy and principle would be something you valued in the context of opinion. It seems your preferred option is subjective and based on your feelings of the time more than a thought out objective approach designed for legitimacy.

What a bunch of gobbledygook. Of course my principles and values are what guide me, and if they don't fall in line with a labeled ideology, why should I care? Are my values subjective? Of course, they're mine, and I apply them with pragmatism, and arrive at my place in an issue. 'Feeling good' about it is irrelevant, and often not true. In fact often I hold positions that are counter to my personal best interest, but are consistent with my values.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:49:20 PM
At 3/4/2012 11:54:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:47:36 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
+Infinity.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:54:05 PM
I don't understand why it's so tragic if someone say's you're not a real conservative, or a true liberal. To me it feels pretty good that I think for myself and am able to exist without external validation from a group. That's really what they're looking for, is a group validation of who they are. I don't require that in my life, and never have.:

For some people it is the end of the world for them. People tend to furiously defend their ideologies and see an attack against conservatism/liberalism as a personal attack against them.

This, of course, creates an "Us vs Them" atmosphere that I feel is endemic of much larger overall problem.

I have long since disavowed voting for party lines as it pigeonholes individuals by forcing them to assimilate into specific paradigms. If I'm a Republican, I don't want to be told how I should feel on an issue simply because the majority of self-described Republicans traditionally vote a certain way.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 12:56:31 PM
At 3/4/2012 12:54:05 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't understand why it's so tragic if someone say's you're not a real conservative, or a true liberal. To me it feels pretty good that I think for myself and am able to exist without external validation from a group. That's really what they're looking for, is a group validation of who they are. I don't require that in my life, and never have.:

For some people it is the end of the world for them. People tend to furiously defend their ideologies and see an attack against conservatism/liberalism as a personal attack against them.

This, of course, creates an "Us vs Them" atmosphere that I feel is endemic of much larger overall problem.

I have long since disavowed voting for party lines as it pigeonholes individuals by forcing them to assimilate into specific paradigms. If I'm a Republican, I don't want to be told how I should feel on an issue simply because the majority of self-described Republicans traditionally vote a certain way.

Exactly Most don't even know that's what's happening, that they're being spoon fed their beliefs based on a label.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 1:40:33 PM
Yea, I remember when I was in high school I had no idea whether I was a "liberal" or a "conservative" since I held some conservative positions (pro-life, anti-affirmative action) and some liberal positions (environmentalism, pro-drug legalization, pro-prostitute legalization).

I think it's natural to want to belong to a certain group, but Innomen is right that it shouldn't "define" you. I'm socially liberal but economically moderate, sightly-right wing. I'm pro-business, pro-privatization, and no longer pro-environmentalism (my views have changed quite a bit since high schoo) and do not think economic inequality is that bad. My signature is my basics views on economic inequality.

However, some things like eliminating safety nets and complete deregulation are some things I question whether they are really the best way for society or not.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 1:46:04 PM
It's easy for me not to identify with a label since all the Ancaps left.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:37:52 PM
"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!" ~ Polonius, Shakespeare's Hamlet
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:40:56 PM
The forums have become so polarized I don't even like coming here anymore. It's impossible to have an intelligent exchange of ideas because users either are so focused on ideology they don't care to hear the other side or are so generous with their use of ad hominem it's not even worth it.

Most threads now days are "liberals are stupid" or "conservatives are bigots and idiots", I mean how do you respond to that? How can that promote a healthy discussion. It can't.

The quality of this site is severely degrading.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:50:26 PM
At 3/4/2012 2:40:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The forums have become so polarized I don't even like coming here anymore. It's impossible to have an intelligent exchange of ideas because users either are so focused on ideology they don't care to hear the other side or are so generous with their use of ad hominem it's not even worth it.

Most threads now days are "liberals are stupid" or "conservatives are bigots and idiots", I mean how do you respond to that? How can that promote a healthy discussion. It can't.

voting is the same way, people don't vote on debates if the side they disagree with did a better job; if they do, they make up some excuse to give more points. For example "I know he didn't cite a source, but I never vote sources", or "conduct lost for pointing out he ignored your rebuttal, when he claimed you dropped a argument", or "I thought the resolution was too unfair to pro/con, so I'm assuming it meant to read x"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:57:24 PM

and another point. Nothing degrades a website like those that spend 99% of their time complaining of its degradation. If you really hate those threads, first of all, don't post in them. Second of all, start your own threads to promote YOUR idea of civil and intellectual discourse...don't sit here and lament, placing blame wherever most convenient.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:58:08 PM
At 3/4/2012 2:57:24 PM, 000ike wrote:

and another point. Nothing degrades a website like those that spend 99% of their time complaining of its degradation. If you really hate those threads, first of all, don't post in them. Second of all, start your own threads to promote YOUR idea of civil and intellectual discourse...don't sit here and lament, placing blame wherever most convenient.

Says the person who does it the most.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 2:59:52 PM

He wasn't complaining about the threads, he was complaining about the mindset of the people posting and replying to the threads.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 3:00:52 PM
At 3/4/2012 2:58:08 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Says the person who does it the most.

I complain of the site degrading?....me?... and even further, I do it the most? Sometimes I wonder whether or not I should respond to your comments because I get angry just reading them.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 3:02:44 PM
At 3/4/2012 2:59:52 PM, DanT wrote:

He wasn't complaining about the threads, he was complaining about the mindset of the people posting and replying to the threads.

Yes, its the mindset that the other side isn't only wrong but also stupid. I can't stand that.

&
@Ike - your snotty comments add nothing to this site by the way.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 3:10:07 PM
At 3/4/2012 3:02:44 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/4/2012 2:59:52 PM, DanT wrote:

Yes, its the mindset that the other side isn't only wrong but also stupid. I can't stand that.

&
@Ike - your snotty comments add nothing to this site by the way.

You're such a flailing hypocrite its not even funny...Look at conservativepolitico spreading intellectualism and civility. You're full of it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 3:30:18 PM
Well there's one thing that every "tribe" can agree on, and that's that kittens are adorable. Just look at this!!: http://shechive.files.wordpress.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 4:15:20 PM
I'm not sure that I've seen tribalism. Are there any specific examples you can point to? I'm sure it's there but after trying to think of specific people, I wasn't able to.

As for myself, I'm the last person to be accused of tribalism. I'm a lone walker politically, religiously, philosophically, etc.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 4:21:25 PM

Lie.

I just looked through the thread titles on the first page and non of them were remotely close to that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 4:25:25 PM
At 3/4/2012 4:15:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I'm not sure that I've seen tribalism. Are there any specific examples you can point to? I'm sure it's there but after trying to think of specific people, I wasn't able to.

As for myself, I'm the last person to be accused of tribalism. I'm a lone walker politically, religiously, philosophically, etc.

In the sense that Inno defines it for DDO, you indeed are not tribalistic.

My guess is you do not recognize tribalism because your theories are attacked equally by all tribes due purely to statistical reasons (how few people hold your belief versus others and how it runs against a common thread between DDO tribes).

Basically, you're in an "me versus them" not "us versus them." It's not an insult by any means. The opposite, if anything.