Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Public nudity

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 8:40:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are common objections to pulic nudity?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 8:47:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Kids, that its inappropriate, same basic arguments against Porn.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:38:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd like for people to get a bit more in depth on the arguments, arguments from people not just from an article or something.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:46:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 8:40:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
What are common objections to pulic nudity?

Everyone wants to look better than you really are.

Imagine everyone living in only blue houses or yellow cars. People want to look different. People don't want to be pressured to look similar (ie:fleshtone).
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 10:08:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 9:38:01 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'd like for people to get a bit more in depth on the arguments, arguments from people not just from an article or something.

To be honest, I've never heard a debate regarding public nudity so I don't know what the arguments are. What comes to mind for me is sanitation.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 10:12:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 10:08:24 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/5/2012 9:38:01 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'd like for people to get a bit more in depth on the arguments, arguments from people not just from an article or something.

To be honest, I've never heard a debate regarding public nudity so I don't know what the arguments are. What comes to mind for me is sanitation.

Like, imagine two people are sitting at a bus stop, and one makes the other laugh so hard that one of them pees a little. Now imagine they're both naked, and you come along and sit your naked butt at that bus stop x____x
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 10:18:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Definitely one of the most interesting discussions I've seen since the beginning of Feb...

Hmm... I've thought rather extensively about this. On one hand, I am thoroughly against the indoctrinated shame imposed on youth that render them so much more confused while dealing with puberty and maturing sexually.

On the other hand, I do believe that there are several functions of wearing clothes.

Foremost, there's protection. Being naked outside actually makes me a little nervous, and not so much because people can see me, but more because a minor stumble that I wouldn't otherwise grant a second thought could result in a lost toenail and skin abrasions.

Then, of course, there's hygeine. Not everyone's is the same, and that would become so much more poignant without barriers to block odors and soak up minor excretions.

On that note, both women and men are prone to random excretions, but women -- much more so. Merely sitting somewhere too long could very well result in a mess. People are messy enough despite generally keeping all that jazz to themselves.

Going back to sexuality, we probably shouldn't react so strongly to simply seeing nudity. However, clothing makes it much easier to control how much of our mind others can read. Without clothes, the slightest arousal, interest, frustration, or apprehension would become immediately and irrevocably apparent.

This is not to mention the fact that there is an entire half of our bodies of which appearance we're not even entire sure. Unevitably, buttcheek pimples and backne will become serious crises.

Last, but not least, clothing greatly reduces our focus on physicality when considering potential partners. Think about it -- if you think jocks have it easy now, you can kiss getting laid goodbye until you're forty if you don't have pecks.

And, for those that are unendowed, well... Lol, I can think of some hilarious social dynamics that can stem from that which would interestingly offset the social environment we're currently maintaining, especially in the Western and Far Eastern world.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 10:19:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
O.o
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 10:20:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
One objection might be that we've lived in a society where it has been customary to cover genitalia for so long that sudden exposure to it, particularly to children, would hold some consequences.

In which case, nudist colonies provide an answer for the supposed dilemma.

Another objection might include what nonentity expressed with overall sanitation. Does one's perceived right to have a bare @ss infringe upon on my right not to sit in the same location as someone's crusty @ss?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:06:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 10:12:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/5/2012 10:08:24 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/5/2012 9:38:01 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'd like for people to get a bit more in depth on the arguments, arguments from people not just from an article or something.

To be honest, I've never heard a debate regarding public nudity so I don't know what the arguments are. What comes to mind for me is sanitation.

Like, imagine two people are sitting at a bus stop, and one makes the other laugh so hard that one of them pees a little. Now imagine they're both naked, and you come along and sit your naked butt at that bus stop x____x

Bus stops already have pee on them because of clothed homeless people.

Plus, nudity could be regulated. Rather than taze and beat nude guys senselessly at their favorite hippie concerts, how about we allow nudity so long as theyre not rubbing their butts and genitals on drinking fountains and benches
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 1:13:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 8:40:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
What are common objections to pulic nudity?

BBW
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:30:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Uncivilized savages.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:34:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Lol, Perverted people cause then they wont stop following ya. :P
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:34:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Self-consciousness. We're not in the Garden of Eden. If someone has an infection down there or there's genital shrinkage due to some medication then that could be socially disastrous. Men can be very competitive.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:36:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've had a debate on this before.

It's pretty unsanitary. And accidentally bumping into someone can lead to rape charges.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:56:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 6:34:56 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Self-consciousness. We're not in the Garden of Eden. If someone has an infection down there or there's genital shrinkage due to some medication then that could be socially disastrous. Men can be very competitive.

1. They can choose to wear clothes if their to self-conscious.

2. You act like legalizing nudity means that everyone is just gonna start going nude. No. Legalizing heroin wont increase heroin users and legalizing nudity will likely not drastically change society to a nudist colony.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 6:58:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 6:36:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I've had a debate on this before.

It's pretty unsanitary.

So is sneezing. But it's generally socially called for to cover one's mouth. So as with the case of nudity, we could expect society to create norms corresponding to that. Like be at least somewhat presentable and don't piss all over the bus.

And accidentally bumping into someone can lead to rape charges.

That's really only different from current misinterpretations to a degree.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:01:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 6:56:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/5/2012 6:34:56 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Self-consciousness. We're not in the Garden of Eden. If someone has an infection down there or there's genital shrinkage due to some medication then that could be socially disastrous. Men can be very competitive.

1. They can choose to wear clothes if their to self-conscious.

2. You act like legalizing nudity means that everyone is just gonna start going nude. No. Legalizing heroin wont increase heroin users and legalizing nudity will likely not drastically change society to a nudist colony.

Fair enough, but I still think it would be completely disastrous for reasons listed for dk, non_entity, and PL. What happens when people get erect? I suppose they aren't allowed to touch their genitals? I think dk mentioned that people bumping into each other could be a rape charge, and that seems valid.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:06:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:01:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Fair enough, but I still think it would be completely disastrous for reasons listed for dk, non_entity, and PL. What happens when people get erect? I suppose they aren't allowed to touch their genitals? I think dk mentioned that people bumping into each other could be a rape charge, and that seems valid.

The same criterion for determining if a rape occurred would still apply I'm assuming. Accidentally bumping into someone else obviously would not fall under that. With public nudity legalized, we can expect the legal system to evolve to accomodate certain awkward situations sure to arise.

And on the genital touching, I don't see a valid reason to outlaw it. Sure it's offensive but why does one draw the line at offense when it involves genitals and not when it involves saying something about your political hero? Why should it be any different as far as the law is concerned?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:11:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As it is, your hands are pretty much the dirtiests parts of your body because they are bare and touch everything. Luckily, it's very easy to wash your hands as often as you want to in order to prevent the spread of germs. How awkward would it be to walk into a public washroom and see someone washing their vagina...?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:13:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can't think of a moral argument against nudity, but ultimately we act in self interest and collective interest which both support the prohibition of public nudity. There is no reason for a global society to act against what is nearly unanimously agreed upon.

By the way socialpinko, what would enforce traffic laws in your anarchist society? Or is everyone free to move at whatever speed they wish until they kill someone, then you prosecute them?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:25:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:13:22 PM, 000ike wrote:
I can't think of a moral argument against nudity, but ultimately we act in self interest and collective interest which both support the prohibition of public nudity. There is no reason for a global society to act against what is nearly unanimously agreed upon.

Except for the fact that it's not unanimous and non-aggressive nudists are currently prosecuted for what is merely offensive. Where are your rights infringed on by seeing my dick?

By the way socialpinko, what would enforce traffic laws in your anarchist society? Or is everyone free to move at whatever speed they wish until they kill someone, then you prosecute them?

I don't really want to get into a flame war about anarchism with you but I'll humor your question, only because the framing of your question indicates a lack of any knowledge on the functioning of an anarchic system of society. Though I suppose it's understandable, most people's thought are mere knee jerk reactions. Note here I'm not trying to be a dick, that's just my impression of your knowledge on the subject due to the way you framed the question.

In an anarchic society, roads would either be privatized or unowned, mostly privatized though probably. A privatized road is essentially the property of the corporation or coop or whatever that built it. As such it is subject to the same restrictions as if one were inside a PF Changs or a Hooters.

In the interest of attracting customers to drive on their roads rather than on anyone else's, it would be in the interest of a road owner to enact restrictions on the way in which the drivers could drive. A road where everyone crashes into everyone else is not an attractive option to anyone really. So we can safely assume that most who would build a road would enact certain rules to keep it's drivers safe. One does not have to wait until someone dies to stop someone from breaking a rule just like I don't have to wait until someone attacks me to kick them out of my house. On my property, I do have control over what activities one performs and by driving on the roads, drivers are accepting the rules set forth by the companies that built them.

Your framing of the question really seemed to me like you were assuming a public, common sphere in an anarchic society and while I think there would probably be one to an extent, roads would not function in that manner most likely.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:25:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:11:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
As it is, your hands are pretty much the dirtiests parts of your body because they are bare and touch everything. Luckily, it's very easy to wash your hands as often as you want to in order to prevent the spread of germs. How awkward would it be to walk into a public washroom and see someone washing their vagina...?

Pretty sure stalls might still exist though.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:35:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:25:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:11:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
As it is, your hands are pretty much the dirtiests parts of your body because they are bare and touch everything. Luckily, it's very easy to wash your hands as often as you want to in order to prevent the spread of germs. How awkward would it be to walk into a public washroom and see someone washing their vagina...?

Pretty sure stalls might still exist though.

Why should one wash their vagina in a stall?
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:36:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:06:14 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:01:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Fair enough, but I still think it would be completely disastrous for reasons listed for dk, non_entity, and PL. What happens when people get erect? I suppose they aren't allowed to touch their genitals? I think dk mentioned that people bumping into each other could be a rape charge, and that seems valid.

The same criterion for determining if a rape occurred would still apply I'm assuming. Accidentally bumping into someone else obviously would not fall under that. With public nudity legalized, we can expect the legal system to evolve to accomodate certain awkward situations sure to arise.

And on the genital touching, I don't see a valid reason to outlaw it. Sure it's offensive but why does one draw the line at offense when it involves genitals and not when it involves saying something about your political hero? Why should it be any different as far as the law is concerned?

I actually meant sexual harassment, which seems to be a bit of a legal grey area already. Even genital touching when erect? Do you see what I'm getting at? What happens when someone starts masturbating or even showing up naked and carressing their genitals at children's birthday parties or jungle gyms? You falling back on the state is already suspect given you're an anarchist, but you probably have an explanation.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:37:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:35:53 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:25:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:11:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
As it is, your hands are pretty much the dirtiests parts of your body because they are bare and touch everything. Luckily, it's very easy to wash your hands as often as you want to in order to prevent the spread of germs. How awkward would it be to walk into a public washroom and see someone washing their vagina...?

Pretty sure stalls might still exist though.

Why should one wash their vagina in a stall?

I'm not saying she has to, I'm just saying from a practical perspective, it might be a bit more comftorable. ;) Regardless though I don't see a moral reason why a woman shouldn't be able to wash her lady parts in a sink if she so chooses.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:37:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:35:53 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:25:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:11:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
As it is, your hands are pretty much the dirtiests parts of your body because they are bare and touch everything. Luckily, it's very easy to wash your hands as often as you want to in order to prevent the spread of germs. How awkward would it be to walk into a public washroom and see someone washing their vagina...?

Pretty sure stalls might still exist though.

Why should one wash their vagina in a stall?

the Japanese have butt rinsers.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:45:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 7:36:45 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/5/2012 7:06:14 PM, socialpinko wrote:

The same criterion for determining if a rape occurred would still apply I'm assuming. Accidentally bumping into someone else obviously would not fall under that. With public nudity legalized, we can expect the legal system to evolve to accomodate certain awkward situations sure to arise.

And on the genital touching, I don't see a valid reason to outlaw it. Sure it's offensive but why does one draw the line at offense when it involves genitals and not when it involves saying something about your political hero? Why should it be any different as far as the law is concerned?

I actually meant sexual harassment, which seems to be a bit of a legal grey area already. Even genital touching when erect? Do you see what I'm getting at? What happens when someone starts masturbating or even showing up naked and carressing their genitals at children's birthday parties or jungle gyms? You falling back on the state is already suspect given you're an anarchist, but you probably have an explanation.

I actually do lol. I'm not arguing within the context of a government when I mention the evolution of law, though I do think State law would evolve along with the legalization of public nudity. I do think a working law system would still exist in an anarchist society, it just wouldn't be of a monocentric nature is all. However, with your objections about masturbating at children's parties and jungle gyms, I'd respond that again, it's not a reason to outlaw it. What rights are being infringed on? Do we have a right to not be offended now? Though I'll say that angry fathers would put that practice to rest :) Not saying I support it but daddies don't like that kind of thing.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.