Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

National Language

blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 11:17:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:07:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
English sucks. Make it German.

That actually is a great idea..lol
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 11:50:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My personal favorite is calling the bank.

To continue in English, press 1.

NOOOOOO! MAKE THEMS THAT DONT SPEAK ENGLISH DO THE WORK. I DONT WANNA PRESS ANY STINKING BUTTONS! 0! 0! *! #! REPRESENTATIVE!

Let's get it over with and make the official language of the USA, whatever language of whatever minority group that screams the loudest.

I vote for a double-talk/pig-latin hybrid... pig latin = pibig libatibin = ibigpay ibatibinlay. Yeah, that would be so awesomez.

My number 2 choice is 1337, or is it 7331?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 7:00:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

LOL the pledge is stupid, who supports a flag but a moron. I agree, no sense in learning more than English, may as well be the stupidest people on the planet.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 8:05:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:07:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
English sucks. Make it German.

Yes!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 8:20:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish.:

No, it isn't. Mexicans, Cubans, etc have all assimilated just like the Italians, the Germans, the Irish, etc, etc that came before them. This is typical xenophobic fearmongering.

Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them?:

LOL! The vast, overwhelming majority of THOSE people are citizens by birth.

Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain.:

Ask yourself why just about every single nation accomodates English. Everything from airports to road signs, you can find English speakers accommodated by a host country that speaks another language.

Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English.:

It would behoove them, because that's how they're going to get ahead in life, and it's a common courtesy. If I moved to France, I too would not expect everyone to kowtow to me. I would have to learn French, not simply to be respectful and polite to their customs, but to get ahead in that culture.

I also think English should become our official national language.:

Is that necessary? Is there any legitimate threat stating that another language will become dominant?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 8:36:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

I think the poster of this topic is myopic
Like it or not, they're here, you can't stop it
And capitalism embraces them --
That's why they work for low profit
Feed their children with visions for natural born Americanism
Who are you to judge? That's basically colonialism
Your family tree clearly traces to something European
So, don't be a hypocrite, embrace the growth in the nation
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 9:38:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 8:36:41 AM, Ren wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

I think the poster of this topic is myopic
Like it or not, they're here, you can't stop it
And capitalism embraces them --
That's why they work for low profit
Feed their children with visions for natural born Americanism
Who are you to judge? That's basically colonialism
Your family tree clearly traces to something European
So, don't be a hypocrite, embrace the growth in the nation

Send all the Mexicans home! Except the four who mow my lawn. They're cool.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:14:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 11:07:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
English sucks. Make it German.

I'd be more willing to tolerate that than French and Spanish.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:16:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 7:00:30 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

LOL the pledge is stupid, who supports a flag but a moron. I agree, no sense in learning more than English, may as well be the stupidest people on the planet.

First of all, the flag represents our country, so by pledging to the flag, I'm pledging to the country. Second, I don't have a problem learning foreign languages for say, going to a foreign country. I enjoy language class. I do, however, have a problem needing to know a foreign language to speak to a large group of people that are illegally calling the US their home.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:25:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 8:20:08 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish.:

No, it isn't. Mexicans, Cubans, etc have all assimilated just like the Italians, the Germans, the Irish, etc, etc that came before them. This is typical xenophobic fearmongering.

If it came across that I meant none of them assimilate, then I apologize. I was specifically referring to the large portion of illegals that speak only spanish, or broken english.

Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them?:

LOL! The vast, overwhelming majority of THOSE people are citizens by birth.

I may have misunderstood you, or one of us got our facts screwed up somewhere because I don't understand how American born citizens, who learn english in school, speak only spanish.

Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain.:

Ask yourself why just about every single nation accomodates English. Everything from airports to road signs, you can find English speakers accommodated by a host country that speaks another language.

English is the language spoken by some of the strongest nations. It's the language used in business for the most part if I'm not mistaken. That and Chinese. Also, by that logic, shouldn't every box have every language on it? Why do we pick Spanish?

Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English.:

It would behoove them, because that's how they're going to get ahead in life, and it's a common courtesy. If I moved to France, I too would not expect everyone to kowtow to me. I would have to learn French, not simply to be respectful and polite to their customs, but to get ahead in that culture.

I also think English should become our official national language.:

Is that necessary? Is there any legitimate threat stating that another language will become dominant?

I'll admit there's no immediate threat from what I see. Why shouldn't we have a national language, though?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:28:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 3:16:54 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 3/6/2012 7:00:30 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

LOL the pledge is stupid, who supports a flag but a moron. I agree, no sense in learning more than English, may as well be the stupidest people on the planet.

First of all, the flag represents our country, so by pledging to the flag, I'm pledging to the country. Second, I don't have a problem learning foreign languages for say, going to a foreign country. I enjoy language class. I do, however, have a problem needing to know a foreign language to speak to a large group of people that are illegally calling the US their home.

You don't need to pass a language test to join the US. If you join the country, you are better off in a country than elsewhere. Illegal immigrants can't claim benefits due to the need for Social Security and other such things.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:28:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And I'm ignoring a few other problems with what is said here.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:29:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 8:36:41 AM, Ren wrote:
At 3/5/2012 11:02:44 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Apparently it's foreign language week or something. As a result, some jack@ss decided the pledge should be said in French. Out of all the people I talk to, 1 student and 1 teacher were ok with this. Something that cam up when discussing the issue was the fact that America is on its way to having the majority of people speak spanish. Considering most of those people are illegal, why the hell are we accommodating them? Why do we have signs and boxes and everything else in spanish and english now? Last I checked, we weren't Mexico or Spain. Personally, I think if you want to live in our country, then you should speak English. I also think English should become our official national language. What does everyone else think?

I think the poster of this topic is myopic
Like it or not, they're here, you can't stop it

That's not true. We just need to buckle down and focus on the problem.

And capitalism embraces them --
That's why they work for low profit

I thought it was because that was the only way to make money without being ratted out.

Feed their children with visions for natural born Americanism
Who are you to judge? That's basically colonialism

Except countries generally tended to fight to get a colony, not slip in and just hide out.

Your family tree clearly traces to something European

Some of it does. Some of it traces back to native americans. Either way, my family has accepted and embraced America. We don't speak the native languages instead of learning english.

So, don't be a hypocrite, embrace the growth in the nation

I don't consider it growth.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 4:11:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
English needs to be our national language for this main reason:

An American citizen should never have a problem communicating with people for wants or needs in their own country.

I have been to fast food joints in some places where they only speak _______. (for me it's Spanish, I live in FL) This is unacceptable. As an American I should be able to order, buy, ask for etc anything I want in ENGLISH in a language I can understand.

There should be no communication disconnect in my own country.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 4:20:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 4:11:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
English needs to be our national language for this main reason:

An American citizen should never have a problem communicating with people for wants or needs in their own country.

I have been to fast food joints in some places where they only speak _______. (for me it's Spanish, I live in FL) This is unacceptable. As an American I should be able to order, buy, ask for etc anything I want in ENGLISH in a language I can understand.

There should be no communication disconnect in my own country.

You talk as if America has some sort of uniform culture that deserves federal protection. You do realize that this country is comprised of generational immigrants, and you're likely one too. They come with their respective languages and it just so happens that English became the predominant one. So English is not American....It is not an assault on American culture for people to speak Spanish.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 4:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 4:11:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
English needs to be our national language for this main reason:

An American citizen should never have a problem communicating with people for wants or needs in their own country.

I have been to fast food joints in some places where they only speak _______. (for me it's Spanish, I live in FL) This is unacceptable. As an American I should be able to order, buy, ask for etc anything I want in ENGLISH in a language I can understand.

There should be no communication disconnect in my own country.

In other words, because you can't communicate with them, they should abide by your rules? Why not "live and let live"? Also, I can't understand some American regional accents, and I think the same applies to me. So?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...