Jump to topic:

NeoCons Destroying True Conservatism

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 9:58:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Today anyone who stands up and says they're for war in the Middle East "less spending" *wink* and a "smaller" government (which means a big government full of Republicans) is now considered a "conservative" in the eyes of the people...

This is sad considering there were those who were true conservatives who have been thrown by the wayside. Neo-Conservative is a sham and a shame to the Conservative name.

Good old fashioned Conservatives include: Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover...

Yet these people are never mentioned. Now we get names like Reagan and George Bush, and they were good in their own ways at their own times but they were certainly not conservatives...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 9:59:25 PM
At 3/8/2012 9:58:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Today anyone who stands up and says they're for war in the Middle East "less spending" *wink* and a "smaller" government (which means a big government full of Republicans) is now considered a "conservative" in the eyes of the people...

This is sad considering there were those who were true conservatives who have been thrown by the wayside. Neo-Conservative is a sham and a shame to the Conservative name.

Good old fashioned Conservatives include: Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover...

Yet these people are never mentioned. Now we get names like Reagan and George Bush, and they were good in their own ways at their own times but they were certainly not conservatives...

Sayy whaaaaa?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 10:08:45 PM
At 3/8/2012 9:59:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Sayy whaaaaa?

Both Reagan and Bush grew government, spent us into debt, expanded governmental power...

That - NeoCon not True Conservative

Compare them to:

Jackson - shrank government, paid off debt
Hoover - refused to intervene in the economy after 1929
Jefferson - anti-federalist, democratic-republican

They don't even compare...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 10:13:45 PM
At 3/8/2012 10:08:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/8/2012 9:59:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Sayy whaaaaa?

Both Reagan and Bush grew government, spent us into debt, expanded governmental power...

That - NeoCon not True Conservative

Compare them to:

Jackson - shrank government, paid off debt
Hoover - refused to intervene in the economy after 1929
Jefferson - anti-federalist, democratic-republican

They don't even compare...

Herbert Hoover's government interventionist policies prolonged the Great Depression.

Smoot-Hawley
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 10:20:57 PM
Conservatives disagree over many things. "Conservatism is the doctrine of evolutionary change." -- William Buckley. Free markets and Constitutional rights are essential, but foreign policy is debatable.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 11:07:59 PM
Read the chapter "On Conservatism and Libertarianism." (Ch 10), it's exactly what you're saying. It honestly did change my perception a bit. http://intelbook.files.wordpress.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 11:21:19 PM
I agree completely with what you're saying. Besides folks like Thomas Jefferson and William Buckley, Edmund Burke is a philosopher I really admire and associate with conservative values. I tend to think of myself as a radical conservative, in the sense that I'm fundamentally conservative, although I hold many beliefs that go against the grain of contemporary conservatism.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 7:26:18 AM

You have a point....and then ya screw it up with your list of conservatives.