Jump to topic:

Transnational crimes

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 11:04:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was wondering, is there any case where the legal loopholes have prevented regional cooperation in Transnational crimes? Any site that could direct me to that? And not just in the US, any country in the Americas.

Also, what are the biggest challenge to the war against drugs in America?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 12:01:37 AM
At 3/9/2012 11:04:42 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
I was wondering, is there any case where the legal loopholes have prevented regional cooperation in Transnational crimes? Any site that could direct me to that? And not just in the US, any country in the Americas.

Non-extradition treaties are an old favorite.

Also, nations cooperating when it comes to prosecuting or otherwise legally condemning someone is the exception, not the rule. Nations almost always either extradite to the country with the most offenses or prosecute for offenses committed against only the host country.

For instance, let's say someone in England breaks their free speech laws then comes to America and graffitis on buildings. How could an American prosecute that person for breaking crimes that don't apply to America which is the express jurisdiction of the constitution. Instead, the DA would only go for the graffiti since it was committed in America.

Governments (or at least, democracies) go after someone for whatever they can pin on a criminal as opposed to actually what they deserve to be punished for.

Consider, Al Capone was arrested for tax evasion. You think the American government would prosecute someone on a crime committed in another country?

As to the biggest problem facing us with the war on drugs:

American demand sends over 4 BILLION dollars across the border, and control over minor stretches of the border decide which cartel has market share.

Drug cartels have more money than they could know what to do with. They can pay any amount needed to corrupt an official or arm a hit squad with state of the art weaponry. Fourteen year old boys are getting the chance to earn as much per week as their parents did per year, on the condition that they slowly slide into sabotage, theft, murder, and torture.

So, for you smokers out there...buy local.
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 1:38:23 AM
Non-cooperation of governments has prevented the arrest of many criminals who transcend national borders. It is unfortunate.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:54:04 AM
At 3/9/2012 11:04:42 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Define transnational crime. There are international Courts and Sovereignties that have treaties. In most cases the governing Jurisdiction is the place where the crime occurred. Also, in most Jurisdictions it isn't criminal it is civil. It is hard to put an entire corporation in prison. EG Te US does not recognize international Courts