Jump to topic:

Student Congress last night.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 1:58:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
PREFACE: I know that this doesn't seem like it belongs here, but I'm posting the bills we debated/voted on--which ARE political issues. Anyway:

Last night I had a student Congress (or "Congressional Debate," but I REALLY get into the roleplaying aspect of it) meet/match/whatever. It consisted of 2 two-hour sessions, with 4 PO's (we recessed 3 times--1 five minute, 1 thirty minute, 1 two minute). and, by the end of the night, we got through 8 pieces of legislation! Hooray! Now THIS is where the politics comes in. The bills, a short description, the vote, and how I voted are below (In chronological order of debate).

1) A Bill to Restrict Nuclear Power Generation - disallows any new nuclear power licenses, minimum 24 routine inspections by NRC, if a plant appears on top 10 at risk facilities list by NRC each year twice in a row gets license removed and decommissioned.

2) A Bill to Amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Act - changes one word: "may" to "must" so that FEMA etc MUST provide assistance.

3) A Resolution to Withdraw the American Signing of ACTA - title is self explanatory.

4) A Resolution Amending the Constitution to Ensue Liberty and Justice for All - extends all Constitutional rights (except 2nd amendment and voting) to all human beings on US soil.

5) A Resolution to Establish a Declaration of War as the Only Way to Use Military Force - requires both a Congressional dec. of war and a resolution passed by the UN for the US to use military force.

6) A Bill to Increase Border Security and Promote Legal Immigration - builds a border barrier, uses UAVs to monitor the border, but increases the number of work and permanent residence visas.

7) A Bill to Eliminate the Penny - Self explanatory. Anyone who owns 10$+ in pennies can trade in for cash.

8) A Bill to Permit the Provision of Sexual Services - legalizes prostitution, allows states to pass reasonable regulations to protect public health, the prostitutes, an minors, disallows fees to license providers more than the healthcare industry, and disallows any excise taxes to be placed on prostitution.

Now for the votes. There were 13 people in my chamber including me (I was in House 2. We had 2 Houses and a Senate). Votes are listed as AFF-NEG-ABST

1) A Bill to Restrict Nuclear Power Generation - PASS - 9-4-0. I voted in affirmation.
2) A Bill to Amend Stafford etc. etc. - PASS - 7-6-0. I voted in negation.
3) A Resolution to Withdraw ACTA - FAIL - 5-7-0. I voted in affirmation.
4) A Bill to Ensure Liberty - FAIL - 7-6-0 (needed 2/3 maj.). I voted in negation.
5) A Resolution to Make Dec War etc. - FAIL - 9-3-1. I abstained.
6) A Bill to Increase Sec./Promote Im. - PASS - 9-4-0. I voted in negation.
7) A Bill to Eliminate the Penny - PASS - 7-6-0. I voted in affirmation.
8) A Bill to Permit Sex Services - PASS - 9-4-0. I voted in affirmation.

Anyway--what do you think of our chamber's decisions? How would YOU have voted?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:07:10 PM
At 3/10/2012 1:58:53 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
PREFACE: I know that this doesn't seem like it belongs here, but I'm posting the bills we debated/voted on--which ARE political issues. Anyway:

Last night I had a student Congress (or "Congressional Debate," but I REALLY get into the roleplaying aspect of it) meet/match/whatever. It consisted of 2 two-hour sessions, with 4 PO's (we recessed 3 times--1 five minute, 1 thirty minute, 1 two minute). and, by the end of the night, we got through 8 pieces of legislation! Hooray! Now THIS is where the politics comes in. The bills, a short description, the vote, and how I voted are below (In chronological order of debate).

1) A Bill to Restrict Nuclear Power Generation - disallows any new nuclear power licenses, minimum 24 routine inspections by NRC, if a plant appears on top 10 at risk facilities list by NRC each year twice in a row gets license removed and decommissioned.

http://the-dp-is-good-always.blogspot.com...

2) A Bill to Amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Act - changes one word: "may" to "must" so that FEMA etc MUST provide assistance.

3) A Resolution to Withdraw the American Signing of ACTA - title is self explanatory.

4) A Resolution Amending the Constitution to Ensue Liberty and Justice for All - extends all Constitutional rights (except 2nd amendment and voting) to all human beings on US soil.

5) A Resolution to Establish a Declaration of War as the Only Way to Use Military Force - requires both a Congressional dec. of war and a resolution passed by the UN for the US to use military force.

6) A Bill to Increase Border Security and Promote Legal Immigration - builds a border barrier, uses UAVs to monitor the border, but increases the number of work and permanent residence visas.

7) A Bill to Eliminate the Penny - Self explanatory. Anyone who owns 10$+ in pennies can trade in for cash.

8) A Bill to Permit the Provision of Sexual Services - legalizes prostitution, allows states to pass reasonable regulations to protect public health, the prostitutes, an minors, disallows fees to license providers more than the healthcare industry, and disallows any excise taxes to be placed on prostitution.

Now for the votes. There were 13 people in my chamber including me (I was in House 2. We had 2 Houses and a Senate). Votes are listed as AFF-NEG-ABST

1) A Bill to Restrict Nuclear Power Generation - PASS - 9-4-0. I voted in affirmation.
4) A Bill to Ensure Liberty - FAIL - 7-6-0 (needed 2/3 maj.). I voted in negation.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:11:04 PM

I would have voted negative.

I too negative

same, affirmative

negative

affirmative

affirmative

affirmative

abstain (Morals should not dictate laws, but my morals wouldn't let me vote pro)

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:11:35 PM

Abstain.

Abstain.

Aff.

Neg.

Aff (most likely)

Neg.

Neg.

Aff.

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:14:50 PM

No offense, but it isn't roleplaying until you have lobbyists and politicians breathing down your neck reminding you that your continued stay in office depends on you supporting their bills.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:18:40 PM
At 3/10/2012 2:14:50 PM, Wnope wrote:

No offense, but it isn't roleplaying until you have lobbyists and politicians breathing down your neck reminding you that your continued stay in office depends on you supporting their bills.

I have student government in a few days too. My co-sponsored bills include the right to organize (unions), starting school later, etc. However, yes there are lobbyists in our version.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:20:29 PM
At 3/10/2012 2:18:40 PM, Contra wrote:
At 3/10/2012 2:14:50 PM, Wnope wrote:

I have student government in a few days too. My co-sponsored bills include the right to organize (unions), starting school later, etc. However, yes there are lobbyists in our version.

Yeah, when actual school stuff is involved, that's actually when you get closer to how real congress functions.

Especially how you take lots of time working on bills and such only to have it killed by the administration ;)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:20:56 PM
In my EYP, we have commissions personally, so we have so much technical info...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 2:44:25 PM
Really, it's an event like Forensics (actually part of Forensics, but it has dedicated meet) called Congressional debate. The competition is about persuasively giving a speech and handling questions well. All the other stuff like motions, voting, etc. are part of the roleplaying. Seeing as how Congress focuses on the speaking, obviously ext. factors aren't involved.

Although, there are unofficial factors (alliances, external decisions to do something) that happen.

I'd actually love to do a really deep roleplaying as Wnope described.

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 3:08:44 PM
Honestly I can't believe anyone actually even considered allowing the UN to make the final decision in whether or not we get to go to war or not. Congressional approval, yes, I agree that you should have to have a declaration of war to use violent means on another nation.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 3:11:36 PM
At 3/10/2012 2:44:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Really, it's an event like Forensics (actually part of Forensics, but it has dedicated meet) called Congressional debate. The competition is about persuasively giving a speech and handling questions well. All the other stuff like motions, voting, etc. are part of the roleplaying. Seeing as how Congress focuses on the speaking, obviously ext. factors aren't involved.

Although, there are unofficial factors (alliances, external decisions to do something) that happen.

I'd actually love to do a really deep roleplaying as Wnope described.

My guess would be after about six months you'd swear to never step foot into Washington D.C.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 5:01:04 PM
At 3/10/2012 3:08:44 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
Honestly I can't believe anyone actually even considered allowing the UN to make the final decision in whether or not we get to go to war or not. Congressional approval, yes, I agree that you should have to have a declaration of war to use violent means on another nation.

That's actually why I abstained. I didn't want to neg it because of the BIG action, but I couldn't bring myself to aff it because of that UN part. I could have moved to amend the resolution, but in Wisconsin, that's something that you just don't do. It's one of our customs in Student Congress.