Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Replace congress with a DDO type website

IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 10:06:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think there should be a website like DDO where America votes on ALL of the laws that effect them instead of some greedy selfish congressman. The website would have

1) A Pro and a Con argument for each law that you vote on
2) You would take a twenty question quiz before you vote asking about Pro's and Con's argument to make sure you understand the pros and cons of the law your passing. You must get all twenty questions right.
3) Americans don't have to vote on the laws; Americans would choose which laws to vote on if they wanted to vote on any at all.

So, do you think this is a good idea? America could no longer blame congressman for bad decisions, and I believe in the philosophy that you learn best from your own mistakes.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 10:25:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sadly, I don't think this would do much to fight the special interests in Washington. Special interest groups could still easily get beneficial laws written by Congressmen, then distribute the answers to the quiz amongst themselves to vote en masse in favor of the bill. People not directly benefitting from the bill but instead only slightly being indirectly harmed would have less incentive to vote, and those who cared enough would also have to be voting against every single bill that would harm them through more regualtion or taxation, of which there would be many. This would make, in effect, the minority more powerful than the majority, and government spending and taxes would both increase.
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 10:58:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Special interest groups could still easily get beneficial laws written by Congressmen, then distribute the answers to the quiz amongst themselves to vote en masse in favor of the bill."

Maybe we could have an unbiased third party to make the pro and con arguments instead of having congress make the quiz. Who would be the unbiased third party? I don't know believe this issue can be worked around

"People not directly benefitting from the bill but instead only slightly being indirectly harmed would have less incentive to vote, and those who cared enough would also have to be voting against every single bill that would harm them through more regualtion or taxation, of which there would be many."

I don't understand, are you saying people would have more incentive to vote for laws that would benefit them or hurt them?

"This would make, in effect, the minority more powerful than the majority, and government spending and taxes would both increase."

I don't think specialized interest groups would be that powerful. If a unbiased third party made the arguments and questions, then the influence would be cut there. And to say that specialized interest groups could effect millions of Americans to vote in their favor is a extreme claim? Why do you think their influence would be so great?

The purpose behind this plan is to allow Americans to vote on the big issues. Things like SOPA, Gay Marriage, taxes, all of these issues would be voted based upon the opinions of the majority. It is to get us to progress forward and learn how to think on issues that effect us. It is to get us to move away from the ignorance America has been trapped in concerning politics.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 10:59:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, that ripe apart our government, and would be far to easily susceptible to false counts, and corruption.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:13:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 10:59:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No, that ripe apart our government, and would be far to easily susceptible to false counts, and corruption.

That is issues prevalent in today's government. I'm not saying that it is a perfect system(far from it) but that it is better than what we have now. It is far easier control and corrupt 500(guess) men in congress than millions of Americans. Am I right?
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:28:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Direct democracy of the masses is probably the worst political system, rivaled only by iron fist dictatorship.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:36:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 11:28:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
Direct democracy of the masses is probably the worst political system, rivaled only by iron fist dictatorship.

Aye, I agree with you. But that is why we have the constitution. It's ONLY purpose is to protect the rights of the minority. As long as we don't go against the constitution, then I disagree with you that direct democracy is the worst political system.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:40:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 11:13:01 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
At 3/10/2012 10:59:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No, that ripe apart our government, and would be far to easily susceptible to false counts, and corruption.

That is issues prevalent in today's government. I'm not saying that it is a perfect system(far from it) but that it is better than what we have now. It is far easier control and corrupt 500(guess) men in congress than millions of Americans. Am I right?

Thing is, Americans put them there.

So, I'm doubting they are all corrupt, and if they are, it can be found out.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 11:50:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 11:40:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/10/2012 11:13:01 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
At 3/10/2012 10:59:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No, that ripe apart our government, and would be far to easily susceptible to false counts, and corruption.

That is issues prevalent in today's government. I'm not saying that it is a perfect system(far from it) but that it is better than what we have now. It is far easier control and corrupt 500(guess) men in congress than millions of Americans. Am I right?

Thing is, Americans put them there.

So, I'm doubting they are all corrupt, and if they are, it can be found out.

Actually, less than half of America votes these people in and not to mention there isn't a lot of selection. Mitt Romney or Obama? In all honesty, neither one represents what most of America wants. I'm not saying all of congress is corrupt, just that they are more susceptible to corruption than a large group of Americans would be.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 12:06:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I bet half of the people wouldn't read the debates...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 12:28:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 12:06:21 AM, 16kadams wrote:
I bet half of the people wouldn't read the debates...

True indeed, but if half of America read those debates, then America would be much better off than if only 500 men with their own power hungry agendas ran the country.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 12:42:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Congress should be made up of representatives from every ideology and the laws are inacted by those who give the most convincing arguments, as decided by random jury.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:25:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
20 Questions system ludicrous:

Example, AV Voting:

Would AV promote democracy?

Yes - It would because it allows more proportional representation
No - it promotes the idea that the unvoted for parties gain power.

Would AV promote modernity?

Yes - Most other EU countries use Proportional representation, and this is a step in the right direction
No - changes in constitutional systems are done because of revolution, so it would be artificial and therefore regressive.

It wouldn't make sense when two sides claim the same argument, and moreso when one side claims that the "PRO" to a bill's passing is non-existent, or uses a turn.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 9:17:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 10:06:25 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
I think there should be a website like DDO where America votes on ALL of the laws that effect them instead of some greedy selfish congressman. The website would have

1) A Pro and a Con argument for each law that you vote on
2) You would take a twenty question quiz before you vote asking about Pro's and Con's argument to make sure you understand the pros and cons of the law your passing. You must get all twenty questions right.
3) Americans don't have to vote on the laws; Americans would choose which laws to vote on if they wanted to vote on any at all.

So, do you think this is a good idea? America could no longer blame congressman for bad decisions, and I believe in the philosophy that you learn best from your own mistakes.

That is silly.....get off your backside and go visit your representative in the house. This is a republic. Also, how do you put an age limit on a public government web site?
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 9:32:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 10:06:25 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
I think there should be a website like DDO where America votes on ALL of the laws that effect them instead of some greedy selfish congressman. The website would have

1) A Pro and a Con argument for each law that you vote on
2) You would take a twenty question quiz before you vote asking about Pro's and Con's argument to make sure you understand the pros and cons of the law your passing. You must get all twenty questions right.
3) Americans don't have to vote on the laws; Americans would choose which laws to vote on if they wanted to vote on any at all.

So, do you think this is a good idea? America could no longer blame congressman for bad decisions, and I believe in the philosophy that you learn best from your own mistakes.

The ancient Greeks tried something like that. It was a horrible system
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
IFLYHIGH
Posts: 5,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 12:04:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 6:25:21 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
20 Questions system ludicrous:

Example, AV Voting:

Would AV promote democracy?

Yes - It would because it allows more proportional representation
No - it promotes the idea that the unvoted for parties gain power.

Would AV promote modernity?

Yes - Most other EU countries use Proportional representation, and this is a step in the right direction
No - changes in constitutional systems are done because of revolution, so it would be artificial and therefore regressive.

It wouldn't make sense when two sides claim the same argument, and moreso when one side claims that the "PRO" to a bill's passing is non-existent, or uses a turn.

@stephen_hawkins your post always lose me. Are you showing the pros and cons of a American voting website? And could you define "turn", I'm unware of the term and could not find it on Google.
@DanT Yes, Athens tried this out and while it was not "disaster" it isn't the best system. First, most of the people who voted in Athens were a small group of rich landowning men, not far from what a Republic. Second, the Constitution is protecting the rights of the minority. Third, people would make educated votes because of the quiz.

Constitution+quiz voting system does not equal Athens.

Anyways, this was a just a hair-brained idea I had with no serious implications. I just wanted to see what "flaws" would be in such a system, not be told it is a disaster by comparing it to Athens. Off to watch Planet of the Apes....