Jump to topic:

What's wrong w/ Congress? It's not big enough

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 9:57:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Two days ago I found this article on CNN: http://www.cnn.com...

The tl;dr version is that the author thinks Congress is too small, and that the House has to represent more and more people, but without more and more Representatives. So, he proposes setting the ratio at 1:100,000, leaving us with 3,000 Reps in the House. However, he thinks that they should only attend quarterly, 2-week conventions, and they can live at home and vote and collaborate online, effectively making being a House Rep a part time job.

I really do recommend you read the real thing, though.

Anyway: what do you make of this?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:00:10 AM
For some reason they think that if a 400 person congress can't agree on anything, a 3 000 person congress will? Fail logic is fail.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:04:54 AM
What's the point of being an elected official if it has been reduced to a part-time job? If you dilute the individual vote to something so insignificant as 1/3000....then why would anyone feel like they have even the slightest opportunity to change or influence anything by entering the government?

I say we leave the number few, but widen the opportunity to enter the few.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:05:02 AM
At 3/11/2012 9:57:58 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Two days ago I found this article on CNN: http://www.cnn.com...

The tl;dr version is that the author thinks Congress is too small, and that the House has to represent more and more people, but without more and more Representatives. So, he proposes setting the ratio at 1:100,000, leaving us with 3,000 Reps in the House. However, he thinks that they should only attend quarterly, 2-week conventions, and they can live at home and vote and collaborate online, effectively making being a House Rep a part time job.

I really do recommend you read the real thing, though.

Anyway: what do you make of this?

I think there is a political theory at work here. If one believes that Democrats are the majority of the general population, it follows that an increased house would increase chances for majority. Congress is two houses, regulated by the US Constitution. It is ideas like this that show the wisdom of those from the 18th century.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:15:18 AM
At 3/11/2012 10:04:54 AM, 000ike wrote:
What's the point of being an elected official if it has been reduced to a part-time job? If you dilute the individual vote to something so insignificant as 1/3000....then why would anyone feel like they have even the slightest opportunity to change or influence anything by entering the government?

I say we leave the number few, but widen the opportunity to enter the few.

I don't support what he's saying either. However, what you're saying sounds to me like you just want people to feel special for being in Congress. The point of the legislature was to represent the people in the law-making process. It wasn't for one person to feel like they're influencing something.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 11:59:14 AM
Screw that. I think 600-700 people are totally equipped to run a country of over 300 million. (including executive positions and supreme court justices for the Lolz)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.