Jump to topic:

Is Iran a real threat?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Any country with an army is a threat, but Iran as a whole isn't a big threat yet.

But, if they get nuclear weapons......
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:24:45 PM
At 3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Any country with an army is a threat,

You don't see anything wrong with this mentality?.......
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:25:25 PM
At 3/11/2012 5:24:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
Any country with an army is a threat,

You don't see anything wrong with this mentality?.......

Technically, they are. I mean, anyone can be a threat.

I was using technicalities. :P

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:25:58 PM
I meant thoughts on my post, but whatever. This is good.

D
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:34:08 PM
bump it to the top of the posts.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.
Rob
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:22:40 PM
Any country with an army is a threat, but Iran as a whole isn't a big threat yet.

But, if they get nuclear weapons......

...they'll realize nuclear weapons are absolutely useless as offensive weapons. The only way a country can use them and not get blown the fcck off the Earth is to be a major superpower I.e. the U.S.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:25:28 PM

You are referring, I take it, to the Iranian president? Because, he's actually only the 26th most powerful person in Iran. He's the equivalent of our Biden--the gaffe prone public official. The one who really calls the shots is Supreme Leader Ayattolah.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

And those were not justfied...how?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:

This.

The vast majority of deaths involved were those of civilians. Nuclear radiation pervaded among the people for years and years until most, if not all, survivors have died of cancer. Or how about the effect the radiation had on the environment?

And, to begin with, our war with Japan was only justified in a loose sense of the word.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:45:37 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

This.

The vast majority of deaths involved were those of civilians. Nuclear radiation pervaded among the people for years and years until most, if not all, survivors have died of cancer. Or how about the effect the radiation had on the environment?

And, to begin with, our war with Japan was only justified in a loose sense of the word.

So, they attacked us, UNDER the false pretenses of peace, and yet, somehow, we are to blame, and it was not justified to go to war with them.

Also, sorry to say it, but civilians die in war, and many more would have died if we had directly attacked Japan. It was, sad but true, the best way out, with the least losses on BOTH sides.

If you wanna talk about this, go to this thread: http://www.debate.org...

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:50:56 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:45:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

This.

So, they attacked us, UNDER the false pretenses of peace, and yet, somehow, we are to blame, and it was not justified to go to war with them.

Also, sorry to say it, but civilians die in war, and many more would have died if we had directly attacked Japan. It was, sad but true, the best way out, with the least losses on BOTH sides.

If you wanna talk about this, go to this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Hm. Cool story. My response would be a repeat of Reasoning's, so I shan't.

I do have a question for you. Why is Iran not justified in wanting a nuclear weapon?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM
Why should a nation whose technical leader has constantly spouted about his want to annihilate Israel, be allowed to?

Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

And, if your going to bring up NK, I personally think we should eliminate their ability to use nukes as well.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:00:28 PM
At 3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Why should a nation whose technical leader has constantly spouted about his want to annihilate Israel, be allowed to?

Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

And, if your going to bring up NK, I personally think we should eliminate their ability to use nukes as well.

Who are we to decide who would/would not be good stewards of power? We should not be the world police. It's not our job. Who says we are good stewards of power?

Every country in Iran's region has a nuke, except for Iran. If we were in that situation, wouldn't we want a nuke, too? Consider the idea that the only reason why they're allegedly aggressive is because someone (read: the US) has been pushing the whole region around in the last few years.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:07:24 PM

Even leader is too high. He's a figure head. The official and "technical" leader is the Supreme Ayotolla who has stated he is against developing or using nuclear weapons as an article of religious faith.

And you think China, North Korea, Russia are always going to be good stewards? We had a 40 year arms race with an ideological enemy where thousands of nuclear weapons were thrown in the mix. Yet no nuclear weapons used. They're only use is defensive as Iran will find out if they ACTUALLY develop nuclear weapons.

Have fun with that. The Soviet Union was immensely more powerful and had comparable personality cults and desperate conditions among it's people. But weird. No nuclear weapons actually ever used. They're only use is as deterrents!
:
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:14:29 PM

Are you serious? Iran hasn't instigated aggression against another nation in over 200 years.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:16:21 PM
At 3/11/2012 8:14:29 PM, Korashk wrote:

Are you serious? Iran hasn't instigated aggression against another nation in over 200 years.

But it's within the realm of technical physical possibility! That's enough of a reason to murder non-aggressive people.
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:31:19 PM
I believe that military action should only be justified and taken under the circumstance of the US or any other first-world country having direct evidence that Iran is a very imminent threat and that an attack will surely occur in the near future.

To do this, we must increase our intelligence gathering in Iran. Barging in with 10 000 troops isn't really going to do anything. War is no longer a battle of armies; but instead a battle of the minds.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Mimshot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 9:16:36 AM
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

There is concrete evidence that Iran is building nuclear processing plants. Whether these are being used or will be used in the future for nuclear weapons is unknown. That is why I want more information to be gathered before launching on the offensive. War should only be waged if we have direct evidence of immediate or foreseeable aggression.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mimshot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM
At 3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "

I agree that that is why we claim to have imposed sanctions. The claim I dispute is "They are building up a nuclear weapon." All the CIA source (a summary for popular consumption, not a real analysis) says is that we think Iran has nuclear "ambitions." Even if true, "ambitions" are not the same as "is building."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:25:45 AM
At 3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM, Mimshot wrote:

I agree that that is why we claim to have imposed sanctions. The claim I dispute is "They are building up a nuclear weapon." All the CIA source (a summary for popular consumption, not a real analysis) says is that we think Iran has nuclear "ambitions." Even if true, "ambitions" are not the same as "is building."

Which is why further information gathering is needed.
Mimshot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:34:30 AM
At 3/12/2012 10:25:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM, Mimshot wrote:

Which is why further information gathering is needed.

Not disagreeing, but we've got (every election cycle) U.S. politicians saying we need to bomb Iran now.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 2:14:48 PM

"The US national estimate says Iran is not a nuclear threat" --
2005 report on Iran - Iran would take ten years to make nuclear weapons http://www.washingtonpost.com...

General Kovachi (who is politically bias in favour of sensationalism and promoting the danger of Iran) says they are 3 years away from nuclear weapons now.

I answered this on my blog post.