Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Iran a real threat?

OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Any country with an army is a threat, but Iran as a whole isn't a big threat yet.

But, if they get nuclear weapons......
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:24:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Any country with an army is a threat,

You don't see anything wrong with this mentality?.......
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:25:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 5:24:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Any country with an army is a threat,

You don't see anything wrong with this mentality?.......

Technically, they are. I mean, anyone can be a threat.

I was using technicalities. :P
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:25:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I meant thoughts on my post, but whatever. This is good.

D
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 5:34:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
bump it to the top of the posts.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.
Rob
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:22:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 5:23:58 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Any country with an army is a threat, but Iran as a whole isn't a big threat yet.

But, if they get nuclear weapons......

...they'll realize nuclear weapons are absolutely useless as offensive weapons. The only way a country can use them and not get blown the fcck off the Earth is to be a major superpower I.e. the U.S.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:25:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

You are referring, I take it, to the Iranian president? Because, he's actually only the 26th most powerful person in Iran. He's the equivalent of our Biden--the gaffe prone public official. The one who really calls the shots is Supreme Leader Ayattolah.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

And those were not justfied...how?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

And those were not justfied...how?

The vast majority of deaths involved were those of civilians. Nuclear radiation pervaded among the people for years and years until most, if not all, survivors have died of cancer. Or how about the effect the radiation had on the environment?

And, to begin with, our war with Japan was only justified in a loose sense of the word.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:45:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

And those were not justfied...how?

The vast majority of deaths involved were those of civilians. Nuclear radiation pervaded among the people for years and years until most, if not all, survivors have died of cancer. Or how about the effect the radiation had on the environment?

And, to begin with, our war with Japan was only justified in a loose sense of the word.

So, they attacked us, UNDER the false pretenses of peace, and yet, somehow, we are to blame, and it was not justified to go to war with them.

Also, sorry to say it, but civilians die in war, and many more would have died if we had directly attacked Japan. It was, sad but true, the best way out, with the least losses on BOTH sides.

If you wanna talk about this, go to this thread: http://www.debate.org...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:50:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:45:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:42:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:33:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:27:42 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:24:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:19:04 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:17:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
You can't assert that Iran is a threat under any circumstance without simultaneously asserting that the U.S. is an exponentially greater one - therefore any action supposed against Iran should be multiplied against us.

I don't see the US's leaders ranting about how they want to blow nations off the map.

Yeah, our leaders don't rant about it, they just go ahead and do it. Not always with nuclear weapons, we like to use crippling sanctions, drones, and freedom bombings- mostly against civilians.

This.

I also remind OberHerr that the US is the ONLY country to ever belligerantly use a nuclear weapon against another country. And we did it twice. Enola Gay? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? Those ring a bell to you?

And those were not justfied...how?

The vast majority of deaths involved were those of civilians. Nuclear radiation pervaded among the people for years and years until most, if not all, survivors have died of cancer. Or how about the effect the radiation had on the environment?

And, to begin with, our war with Japan was only justified in a loose sense of the word.

So, they attacked us, UNDER the false pretenses of peace, and yet, somehow, we are to blame, and it was not justified to go to war with them.

Also, sorry to say it, but civilians die in war, and many more would have died if we had directly attacked Japan. It was, sad but true, the best way out, with the least losses on BOTH sides.

If you wanna talk about this, go to this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Hm. Cool story. My response would be a repeat of Reasoning's, so I shan't.

I do have a question for you. Why is Iran not justified in wanting a nuclear weapon?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why should a nation whose technical leader has constantly spouted about his want to annihilate Israel, be allowed to?

Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

And, if your going to bring up NK, I personally think we should eliminate their ability to use nukes as well.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:00:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Why should a nation whose technical leader has constantly spouted about his want to annihilate Israel, be allowed to?

Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

And, if your going to bring up NK, I personally think we should eliminate their ability to use nukes as well.

Who are we to decide who would/would not be good stewards of power? We should not be the world police. It's not our job. Who says we are good stewards of power?

Every country in Iran's region has a nuke, except for Iran. If we were in that situation, wouldn't we want a nuke, too? Consider the idea that the only reason why they're allegedly aggressive is because someone (read: the US) has been pushing the whole region around in the last few years.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:07:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Why should a nation whose technical leader has constantly spouted about his want to annihilate Israel, be allowed to?

Even leader is too high. He's a figure head. The official and "technical" leader is the Supreme Ayotolla who has stated he is against developing or using nuclear weapons as an article of religious faith.

Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

And you think China, North Korea, Russia are always going to be good stewards? We had a 40 year arms race with an ideological enemy where thousands of nuclear weapons were thrown in the mix. Yet no nuclear weapons used. They're only use is defensive as Iran will find out if they ACTUALLY develop nuclear weapons.

And, if your going to bring up NK, I personally think we should eliminate their ability to use nukes as well.

Have fun with that. The Soviet Union was immensely more powerful and had comparable personality cults and desperate conditions among it's people. But weird. No nuclear weapons actually ever used. They're only use is as deterrents!
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:14:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

Are you serious? Iran hasn't instigated aggression against another nation in over 200 years.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:16:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 8:14:29 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 3/11/2012 7:56:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Fact is, they have not shown that they would be good stewards of that power, AT ALL, and until that days comes should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

Are you serious? Iran hasn't instigated aggression against another nation in over 200 years.

But it's within the realm of technical physical possibility! That's enough of a reason to murder non-aggressive people.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 8:31:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe that military action should only be justified and taken under the circumstance of the US or any other first-world country having direct evidence that Iran is a very imminent threat and that an attack will surely occur in the near future.

To do this, we must increase our intelligence gathering in Iran. Barging in with 10 000 troops isn't really going to do anything. War is no longer a battle of armies; but instead a battle of the minds.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 9:16:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

There is concrete evidence that Iran is building nuclear processing plants. Whether these are being used or will be used in the future for nuclear weapons is unknown. That is why I want more information to be gathered before launching on the offensive. War should only be waged if we have direct evidence of immediate or foreseeable aggression.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...

I agree that that is why we claim to have imposed sanctions. The claim I dispute is "They are building up a nuclear weapon." All the CIA source (a summary for popular consumption, not a real analysis) says is that we think Iran has nuclear "ambitions." Even if true, "ambitions" are not the same as "is building."
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:25:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...

I agree that that is why we claim to have imposed sanctions. The claim I dispute is "They are building up a nuclear weapon." All the CIA source (a summary for popular consumption, not a real analysis) says is that we think Iran has nuclear "ambitions." Even if true, "ambitions" are not the same as "is building."

Which is why further information gathering is needed.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:34:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 10:25:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/12/2012 10:17:54 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...

I agree that that is why we claim to have imposed sanctions. The claim I dispute is "They are building up a nuclear weapon." All the CIA source (a summary for popular consumption, not a real analysis) says is that we think Iran has nuclear "ambitions." Even if true, "ambitions" are not the same as "is building."

Which is why further information gathering is needed.

Not disagreeing, but we've got (every election cycle) U.S. politicians saying we need to bomb Iran now.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 2:14:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 10:05:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/12/2012 8:30:50 AM, Mimshot wrote:
At 3/11/2012 8:22:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Of course Iran is a real threat. They are building up a nuclear weapon. This by itself does not mean anything since many countries currently have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER, Iran has explicitly threatened to use military force, and one can infer nuclear weapons being such, against the Western world and Israel. Therefore, Iran is an ever present threat.

Do you have evidence for this? I don't mean American politicians fear-mongering; I mean real evidence from a real source.

"Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US, UN, and EU economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement in terrorism and its nuclear weapons ambitions. "
https://www.cia.gov...

"The US national estimate says Iran is not a nuclear threat" --
2005 report on Iran - Iran would take ten years to make nuclear weapons http://www.washingtonpost.com...

General Kovachi (who is politically bias in favour of sensationalism and promoting the danger of Iran) says they are 3 years away from nuclear weapons now.

I answered this on my blog post.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...