Total Posts:100|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Help! Arguments Against Drug Legalization?

SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:52:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.

Look up Paternalism, which argues that governments have an obligation to protect citizens from themselves. I find it utter rubbish, but most if not all drug criminalization arguments center around paternalism (if not by name) as their central premise. I would know, I've run them.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:53:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you feel that legislation in a democracy is only justified if the majority supports it?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:54:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:53:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you feel that legislation in a democracy is only justified if the majority supports it?

Yes. Is there a problem?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:56:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I've heard one fascinating argument against legalizing all drugs.

Namely, let's say you make heroine, cocaine, etc available over the counter if you're 21.

What justification does a doctor have in saying a patient cant buy anti-depressants or anti-psychotics? What's to stop people from self-medicating with whatever they please if we can legalize all drugs?
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:56:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:54:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:53:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you feel that legislation in a democracy is only justified if the majority supports it?

Yes. Is there a problem?

No, it was just a question. I disagree very much, but I'm not gonna go into that since the thread has nothing to do with it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:58:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:56:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, I've heard one fascinating argument against legalizing all drugs.

Namely, let's say you make heroine, cocaine, etc available over the counter if you're 21.

What justification does a doctor have in saying a patient cant buy anti-depressants or anti-psychotics? What's to stop people from self-medicating with whatever they please if we can legalize all drugs?

Well, that's only interesting from a mainstream viewpoint. I can just imagine a libertarian or anarchist saying "nothing" with a "duh" face.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:59:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.

There's very little convincing on the pro side. The War on Drugs is utterly intellectually bankrupt and it's a matter of time before these draconian laws get repealed. Founded on racism, perpetuated by alarmism and misinformation - the War on Drugs is probably the best example of conventional wisdom gone horribly wrong.
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:01:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:59:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.

There's very little convincing on the pro side. The War on Drugs is utterly intellectually bankrupt and it's a matter of time before these draconian laws get repealed. Founded on racism, perpetuated by alarmism and misinformation - the War on Drugs is probably the best example of conventional wisdom gone horribly wrong.

It's quite upsetting to think of how many innocent people have died from it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:02:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:59:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.

There's very little convincing on the pro side. The War on Drugs is utterly intellectually bankrupt and it's a matter of time before these draconian laws get repealed. Founded on racism, perpetuated by alarmism and misinformation - the War on Drugs is probably the best example of conventional wisdom gone horribly wrong.

What is your argument? Drugs should be legal, or Drugs are not fatally unhealthy? I can see the argument for the former, the latter not so much....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:07:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 3:02:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:59:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:42:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
My neighborhood already smells bad enough. We have skunks, and my neighbor smokes pot. In fact, a lot of people in my neighborhood smoke pot. If we legalize pot, it's going to smell even worse!

Arguments against drug legalization? Seriously, I haven't heard anything convincing. I just want my neighborhood to smell nice.

There's very little convincing on the pro side. The War on Drugs is utterly intellectually bankrupt and it's a matter of time before these draconian laws get repealed. Founded on racism, perpetuated by alarmism and misinformation - the War on Drugs is probably the best example of conventional wisdom gone horribly wrong.

What is your argument? Drugs should be legal, or Drugs are not fatally unhealthy? I can see the argument for the former, the latter not so much....

No one is saying (some) drugs are not fatally unhealthy. The majority - marijuana, shrooms, lsd, mescaline, should be decriminalized immediately. It's only the much harder drugs like meth and coke that I could even see a case for keeping illegal, but I'm talking about legalization not the health side effects.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:18:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:58:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:56:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, I've heard one fascinating argument against legalizing all drugs.

Namely, let's say you make heroine, cocaine, etc available over the counter if you're 21.

What justification does a doctor have in saying a patient cant buy anti-depressants or anti-psychotics? What's to stop people from self-medicating with whatever they please if we can legalize all drugs?

Well, that's only interesting from a mainstream viewpoint. I can just imagine a libertarian or anarchist saying "nothing" with a "duh" face.

Self medication is generally stupid but neither I nor any government nor any doctor have the right to control what you consume. If you want to self medicate with anti-depressants, how is that any worse than how doctors currently grossly over prescribe them? A doctor cam certainly refuse to see a patient that completely disregards their prescriptions, but that's about as far as one could morally go.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:20:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.

So wait, you don't think what the majority is doing is right, but you think they have the right to enact their preferences through force by the sheer fact that they happen to be in a majority? Good thing the majority of Ugandans support discrimination against homosexuals or what they're doing over there might be considered wrong.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:21:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 3:18:00 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:58:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:56:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, I've heard one fascinating argument against legalizing all drugs.

Namely, let's say you make heroine, cocaine, etc available over the counter if you're 21.

What justification does a doctor have in saying a patient cant buy anti-depressants or anti-psychotics? What's to stop people from self-medicating with whatever they please if we can legalize all drugs?

Well, that's only interesting from a mainstream viewpoint. I can just imagine a libertarian or anarchist saying "nothing" with a "duh" face.

Self medication is generally stupid but neither I nor any government nor any doctor have the right to control what you consume. If you want to self medicate with anti-depressants, how is that any worse than how doctors currently grossly over prescribe them? A doctor cam certainly refuse to see a patient that completely disregards their prescriptions, but that's about as far as one could morally go.

Do you believe that people will be happy in a world like that?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:24:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 3:21:21 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 3:18:00 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:58:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 2:56:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, I've heard one fascinating argument against legalizing all drugs.

Namely, let's say you make heroine, cocaine, etc available over the counter if you're 21.

What justification does a doctor have in saying a patient cant buy anti-depressants or anti-psychotics? What's to stop people from self-medicating with whatever they please if we can legalize all drugs?

Well, that's only interesting from a mainstream viewpoint. I can just imagine a libertarian or anarchist saying "nothing" with a "duh" face.

Self medication is generally stupid but neither I nor any government nor any doctor have the right to control what you consume. If you want to self medicate with anti-depressants, how is that any worse than how doctors currently grossly over prescribe them? A doctor cam certainly refuse to see a patient that completely disregards their prescriptions, but that's about as far as one could morally go.

Do you believe that people will be happy in a world like that?

It's not my job to force people to be happy, it's not anyone's job to do that. The only limit on one's actions should be to make sure they are not directly harming others. Luckily I'm not so high ad mighty that I think I know what's best for everyone else.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 4:46:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 2:48:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Forget about how it smells. You should be worried about what it's doing to you. All airborne drugs should be illegalized if we value a right to clean air. Since we live in a Democracy, the only justifiable way of invoking such a law would be through referendum. Given that morality is subjective, I can't presuppose that we have a right to clean air, but I do believe that a majority of people would agree with that statement...and consider making it law.

So if the majority decides that we must all live in a Communistic utopia and all religious people should be stoned, would you accept that? Highly unlikely. The government REPRESENTS its people, but that does not mean that it has to blindly follow in their path of decision making. The government is a stop-gap barrier to prevent the tyranny of the majority. The government must take into consideration the decisions and possible make amends, but not simply adopt legislation which the majority wants.

When black discrimination in the US was rampant, most of its citizens approved of these measures. According to your rationale, if the majority approved, then it was justifiable.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:01:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sorry, but there does not exist one single argument against drug legalization.

This is just a fact.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:04:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:01:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Sorry, but there does not exist one single argument against drug legalization.

This is just a fact.

No wonder you believe in some pretty absurd theories. Life is so easy when one can just randomly assert things.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:08:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:01:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Sorry, but there does not exist one single argument against drug legalization.

This is just a fact.

There are an insane amount of arguments against drug legalization, that much cannot be disputed. I would agree that none possess soundness and that's probably what you meant but semantics is the life and blood of this site so....
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:16:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Saying "i want, don't want this" or "i dont like marijuana and believe it should be banned" is not an argument.

Its a statement of your opinion, is based on no principles, moral or otherwise.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:18:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:16:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Saying "i want, don't want this" or "i dont like marijuana and believe it should be banned" is not an argument.

Its a statement of your opinion, is based on no principles, moral or otherwise.

Since when did the arguments against Drug legalization start with "I want/don't want"?

Like I said,...life is so easy when one can just assert things as if they were actually true.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:19:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:04:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:01:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Sorry, but there does not exist one single argument against drug legalization.

This is just a fact.

No wonder you believe in some pretty absurd theories.

I don't believe in theories except maybe the political theory of Left Libertarianism. NWO etc. and the stuff Alex Jones talks about is not theory.

Life is so easy when one can just randomly assert things.

Sure, except thats not what I do.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:21:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:19:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:04:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:01:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Sorry, but there does not exist one single argument against drug legalization.

This is just a fact.

No wonder you believe in some pretty absurd theories.

I don't believe in theories except maybe the political theory of Left Libertarianism. NWO etc. and the stuff Alex Jones talks about is not theory.

Hahaha! Of course it is. If it is such an indisputable fact, then why haven't more people flocked to him? All of the bullish!t that Jones spits is just done for commercial profit.

Life is so easy when one can just randomly assert things.

Sure, except thats not what I do.

Yes, that is what you do.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:25:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
here's 9, and click the links and it brings you to a bigger page.
http://www.justice.gov...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:26:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:25:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
here's 9, and click the links and it brings you to a bigger page.
http://www.justice.gov...

oh wow, that's not bias at all *sarcasm*
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:28:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:26:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:25:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
here's 9, and click the links and it brings you to a bigger page.
http://www.justice.gov...

oh wow, that's not bias at all *sarcasm*

so?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:29:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:18:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:16:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Saying "i want, don't want this" or "i dont like marijuana and believe it should be banned" is not an argument.

Its a statement of your opinion, is based on no principles, moral or otherwise.

Since when did the arguments against Drug legalization start with "I want/don't want"?

The basis of most anti-drug arguments are that. They are moral crusaders who think they can control society and other people's lives. They dont like marijuana and dont want anyone else doing it either.

The reason youre getting so defensive is because the argument you put forth doesnt fall under that because youre trying to use some sort of Libertarian property rights argument that marijuana infringes on other people's well-being. Except it requires that you make up a falsehood as a basis. That marijuana pollutes the environment and negatively affects people around them. Save for people living in the same property (the property owner can work out the internal dispute), your assertion is not true. A marijuana smoker who doesnt live with me, does not affect my life.

Like I said,...life is so easy when one can just assert things as if they were actually true.

That makes no sense. Everyone who asserts something believes their assertion is true. Even you.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:32:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the states should have ultimate control of issues like drugs. It makes no sense for the fed to be able to control what the majority of a certain state wants. If the federal government decriminalized all drugs, and left it in the state's hands, we would experience job growth, higher revenues and more taxes. Not to mention a more content populace, cause people love drugs.

It ought to be up to the states to decide. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with this. We don't need papa government to look out for our moves and make our decisions for us. That's bull. Nobody is going to legalize heroin. How many states support hard drugs? Like, none. Only a handful are even considering medical marijuana.

But to the whole drug legalization thing, yeah pretty much following suit of the majority of opinions in this thread. Not a whole lot of good arguments.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 5:32:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/13/2012 5:28:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:26:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/13/2012 5:25:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
here's 9, and click the links and it brings you to a bigger page.
http://www.justice.gov...

oh wow, that's not bias at all *sarcasm*

so?

-facepalm-...Do you know what bias means? If something is bias, it likely has omitted details, exaggerated facts, or outright erroneous figures. Such sources cannot be trusted as viable evidence for anything since their motivation to support a certain position, no matter how wrong it is, will provide an argument that is not objective.

That's why the U.S Drug Enforcement Administration is not a good source for arguments against drug legalization.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault