Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Help! Arguments for this!

1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 11:58:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

Semantics on responsible or should.
But even that's a farcry from a good idea.
Imo, you might be screwed.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:31:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Try something from the fact that if this trend continues, then the Earth will eventually run out of resources and be the end of mankind.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:35:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

There are plenty of Zero Population Growth movements out there. Find a web site, they should at least make an attempt to justifer their views.

You know... do research.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:37:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
OH! LK's thought gave me an idea, and I even have evidence to support it.
Dust, I'll PM you with the stuff.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:39:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

If 'responsible' people do not reproduce, then only 'irresponsible' people will reproduce. Carry on from here and show a paradox in the resolution.

On other hand if your opponent talks about a law to control the 'irresponsible' people, the resolution becomes simple to negate.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:43:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My apologies, you are Pro. All you need to do is research the dangers of overpopulation. I will suggest running an evidence heavy argument.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:43:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I was forced to debate the overpopulation side, I'd focus on some specific area. For example, argue that China is overpopulated so therefore responsible people in China should not reproduce. Find places where overpopulation is acute, rather than arguing the world as a whole.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 2:07:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Argue that overpopulation may lead to a period of global warfare not unlike the early 20th century, if there is ever a climate shift (which there has been in the past, see the Little Ice Age,) which could lead to powers not having enough resources or food to feed their people, thus they resort to war to distract their people or simply to feed them.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 2:09:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
research population dynamics.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 6:34:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

You can request the debate to be reset.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 6:42:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
focus on china, bangladesh, and india.

semantics may help
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 8:56:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 6:42:10 PM, imabench wrote:
focus on china, bangladesh, and india.

semantics may help

true
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 8:21:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

I aint lookin up the citations. Seems to the best argument would be that humans are animals and have made saving lives a goal resulting in humans circumventing nature to such an extent that we have warped the natual order. I think it may be crap but it is an argument. The increase in asthma, is an example. Research, in the K, indicates it is the result of over cleanliness on thepart of parents resulting in depressed immune systems. So pivot your argument to not just o many but also weakened and set for a disaster to fix it.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 8:59:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 8:21:05 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

I aint lookin up the citations

We all know that. You never look up citations. citations is a concept that alludes you.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 9:36:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 12:31:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Try something from the fact that if this trend continues, then the Earth will eventually run out of resources and be the end of mankind.

Fertility rates are dropping.....
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 10:19:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 9:36:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/15/2012 12:31:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Try something from the fact that if this trend continues, then the Earth will eventually run out of resources and be the end of mankind.

Fertility rates are dropping.....

Only in first world countries, not in third world countries.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 10:36:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 10:19:13 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/16/2012 9:36:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/15/2012 12:31:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Try something from the fact that if this trend continues, then the Earth will eventually run out of resources and be the end of mankind.

Fertility rates are dropping.....

Only in first world countries, not in third world countries.

No overall fertility rates are dropping.
http://www.google.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 10:43:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 10:36:14 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/16/2012 10:19:13 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/16/2012 9:36:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/15/2012 12:31:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Try something from the fact that if this trend continues, then the Earth will eventually run out of resources and be the end of mankind.

Fertility rates are dropping.....

Only in first world countries, not in third world countries.

No overall fertility rates are dropping.
http://www.google.com...

Lower fertility rates does not mean that the population is going lower. With new advances in medicine, people are living longer and not dying.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 11:00:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

Easy. Whether or not you reproduce will have no impact on the world population.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 12:40:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 8:59:29 AM, DanT wrote:
At 3/16/2012 8:21:05 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 11:48:28 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I accepted the wrong side again. :( I have to argue for this statement:
The world is overpopulated, and responsible people know this, so they should not reproduce.

Any ideas?

I aint lookin up the citations

We all know that. You never look up citations. citations is a concept that alludes you.

Bennis v. Michigan 1993....read it