Jump to topic:

Upcoming primary states

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 3:04:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This month we still have IL, LA, and MO, and between the three 167 delegates up for grabs. Currently, LA is looking to go Santurom, but it is the south and he and Gingrich are spliting the vote (before Santurom surged, Gingrich was up 8 points, and Santorum got all his surge from Gingrich supporters, didn't pull hardly any from Romney). So there we have 3 candidates withing 5 points of each other.

In IL, Romney has a comfortable lead of 6.3 points. Gingrich only had 13.3 so even if he dropped out he doesn't have too much support to throw to Santorum (though it might be enough to make it very darn close).

And MO is all Gingrich and Santorum, but Romney is not too far behind especially if Gingrinch and Santorum continue splitting the vote.

If Gingrinch backs out and Santorum pulls off IL (and takes a significant lead in the other two), I could see Santorum cutting a good 80 - 100 delegates into Romney's 260 delegate lead.

There's also PR for a winner take all 23 delegates, but there are no polls to look into, though VI, Guam, and American Samoa were ALL Romney.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 3:13:24 PM
If we look at the big three.

NY - 95 delegates
TX - 155 delegates
CA - 172 delegates (winner takes all).

NY looks too much to Romney for Santorum or Gingrinch to do anything (even if Gingrinch pulls out and every single supporter of his goes to Santorum (unlikely that all will), Romney will still hold a 2 point lead. But if Santorum can get close, say within 5 points, he'll get a lot of delegates (proportional).

TX is looking Santorum (up 3 points) but if Gingrinch drops out by then, his lead will only grow (also proportional).

The big one is CA, because it is a WTA. Romney has a good lead of 8.5 points, but it is significantly dropping from the near 20 point leads he was recently enjoying. If Gingrinch backs out and Santorum pulls off some strong wins to erase to belief of "Romney has it in the bag already," CA might become a real battleground... for republicans (weird, huh?).
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 4:36:06 PM
At 3/17/2012 3:04:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This month we still have IL, LA, and MO, and between the three 167 delegates up for grabs. Currently, LA is looking to go Santurom, but it is the south and he and Gingrich are spliting the vote (before Santurom surged, Gingrich was up 8 points, and Santorum got all his surge from Gingrich supporters, didn't pull hardly any from Romney). So there we have 3 candidates withing 5 points of each other.

In IL, Romney has a comfortable lead of 6.3 points. Gingrich only had 13.3 so even if he dropped out he doesn't have too much support to throw to Santorum (though it might be enough to make it very darn close).

And MO is all Gingrich and Santorum, but Romney is not too far behind especially if Gingrinch and Santorum continue splitting the vote.

If Gingrinch backs out and Santorum pulls off IL (and takes a significant lead in the other two), I could see Santorum cutting a good 80 - 100 delegates into Romney's 260 delegate lead.

There's also PR for a winner take all 23 delegates, but there are no polls to look into, though VI, Guam, and American Samoa were ALL Romney.

Romney has to win at the convention on the first ballot, after that about 40% of the delegates can vote for whomever they want. If he fails on the second and third it is Open Season....all the primaries are for nothing. That's my hope...a good ol old fashioned convention. Only down side...all party big wigs.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:17:33 PM
My prediction:

Santorum takes Missouri.

Romney takes Puerto Rico.

Romney takes Illinois. Although, Santorum is competitive here and could pull off an upset.

Santorum takes Louisiania. Although, both Romney and Gingrich will be competitive here and either could pull off an upset.

In the end, Romney is the presumptive nominee by the end of April. Possibly May. But, there is not gonna be a brokered convention.
President of DDO
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:18:47 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:17:33 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
My prediction:

Santorum takes Missouri.

Romney takes Puerto Rico.

Romney takes Illinois. Although, Santorum is competitive here and could pull off an upset.

Santorum takes Louisiania. Although, both Romney and Gingrich will be competitive here and either could pull off an upset.

In the end, Romney is the presumptive nominee by the end of April. Possibly May. But, there is not gonna be a brokered convention.

ill take that bet
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:20:21 PM
Romney will take PR for sure, Santorum told them that they had to make English the official language to become a State (not true by the way)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:32:58 PM
Ron Paul will win California and he has a good chance of winning Puerto Rico. I don't think he can win any of the other states.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:34:22 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:32:58 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Ron Paul will win California and he has a good chance of winning Puerto Rico. I don't think he can win any of the other states.

What makes you think Paul will take California? Seems like a Romney state to me.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:40:30 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:34:22 PM, thett3 wrote:

What makes you think Paul will take California? Seems like a Romney state to me.

I think Ron Paul will win because he is really popular with young people and he is the only candidate that supports drug legalization. Automatic win.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:43:35 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:40:30 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

I think Ron Paul will win because he is really popular with young people and he is the only candidate that supports drug legalization. Automatic win.

Young people are a very small percentage of the electorate and California rejected legalizing Marijuana when they had a referendum over it...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:46:11 PM

Ron Paul is polling at 11% nation wide and only 10.3% in CA, not exactly a stronghold of supporters for him.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:46:28 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:43:35 PM, thett3 wrote:

Young people are a very small percentage of the electorate and California rejected legalizing Marijuana when they had a referendum over it...

Young people make up a very large percentage of California's population, and California probably has the greatest percentage of young people in the country. Not to mention, California legalized marijuana.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:47:35 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:46:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Ron Paul is polling at 11% nation wide and only 10.3% in CA, not exactly a stronghold of supporters for him.

The statement was only directed at California, and I think Ron Paul has a greater base in California.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:02:38 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:47:35 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

The statement was only directed at California, and I think Ron Paul has a greater base in California.

Right, and his polling in CA is no better than his national polling. The numbers simply do not support your theory. Ron Paul is not popular, he will not win, he will continue to get DEAD LAST in most states and second to last in a few. That is reality, the fact that many RP supporters can't see that truth speaks a lot about them.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:05:47 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:02:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Right, and his polling in CA is no better than his national polling. The numbers simply do not support your theory. Ron Paul is not popular, he will not win, he will continue to get DEAD LAST in most states and second to last in a few. That is reality, the fact that many RP supporters can't see that truth speaks a lot about them.

I don't expect Ron Paul to win the Republican Nomination. I just expect him to win California.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:09:09 PM
I'm at a loss as to why Santorum has any support at all.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:10:12 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:09:09 PM, thett3 wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

That's all the reasoning you need
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:11:32 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:10:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

Yeah but I would choose either of those two over him. Regardless of their policies, no one could deny that they're intelligent men. As for Santorum, well, no one beats him in sheer stupidity at times.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:16:23 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:11:32 PM, thett3 wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

Yeah but I would choose either of those two over him. Regardless of their policies, no one could deny that they're intelligent men. As for Santorum, well, no one beats him in sheer stupidity at times.

I can understand the support for Santorum, but I don't understand the support for Romney. The man isn't intelligent if you ask me. He has NO plan whatsoever for the country, and the overwhelming majority of his public speech are vacuous platitudes and applause lines. He's in the lead because he looks presidential and seems electable....and what's worse is he's been the consistent front-runner.

This guy has no business running for president.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:17:57 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:16:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

I can understand the support for Santorum, but I don't understand the support for Romney. The man isn't intelligent if you ask me. He has NO plan whatsoever for the country, and the overwhelming majority of his public speech are vacuous platitudes and applause lines. He's in the lead because he looks presidential and seems electable....and what's worse is he's been the consistent front-runner.

Dont worry about it, Romney wont win the general election.

Here, watch this funny video
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:24:15 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:05:47 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

I don't expect Ron Paul to win the Republican Nomination. I just expect him to win California.

But his CA numbers are WORSE than his national numbers.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:26:08 PM

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

Maybe you think too highly of the electorate. The electorate is stupid. Especially the GOP electorate (neocons). They will vote for the guy who tells them what they want to hear. GOP voters love wealthy politicians who talk small government and anti-Obama rhetoric (and then don't deliver on it, usually expanding govt). Romney simply wants to get elected really fcking badly.

Jesus, when the guy was in the south he talked about how much he loves eating grits, how he owns guns, and brought someone up on stage to sing Sweet Home Alabama. He will do and say anything to win. In America, what do you need aside from that, and "presidential looks?"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:27:26 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:17:57 PM, thett3 wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

lol maybe he is an idiot. I was 12 during the 2008 primaries, and didn't really pay attention to how the Democrats behaved,...but I can't imagine Hilary and Obama acting any way similar to this.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:28:26 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:24:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I agree Ron Paul probably won't win Calfornia, but I don't understand why. If he's going to succeed in any state it should be that one. Pro-weed legalization, anti-war, pro-gay marriage (at the state level)? You'd think Democrats, libertarians, and independents would be lining up to vote for him. (Yeah, many non-Republicans do switch over to vote for him. There's even a decently sized group called Blue Republicans for people just like that.)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:29:38 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:27:26 PM, 000ike wrote:

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

lol maybe he is an idiot. I was 12 during the 2008 primaries, and didn't really pay attention to how the Democrats behaved,...but I can't imagine Hilary and Obama acting any way similar to this.

Lol, people were making fun of Romney for adopting a southern draw, when Hillary did the exact same thing (only worse) in 2008 (though to be fair, she was made fun of too).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:31:02 PM
At 3/17/2012 6:28:26 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 3/17/2012 6:24:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I agree Ron Paul probably won't win Calfornia, but I don't understand why. If he's going to succeed in any state it should be that one. Pro-weed legalization, anti-war, pro-gay marriage (at the state level)? You'd think Democrats, libertarians, and independents would be lining up to vote for him. (Yeah, many non-Republicans do switch over to vote for him. There's even a decently sized group called Blue Republicans for people just like that.)

Yeah, but those CAs really REALLY don't like his economics, and right now, economics are far more important than social issues.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:31:18 PM

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

They were pretty brutal but nothing too idiotic I dont think. The GOP primary is different because it represents a legitimate split. There weren't too many differences between Clinton and Obama.

Of course I was only 13 lawl
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:32:59 PM

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

it was a pretty brutal primary that pitted Obama and Hillary. Was really the first time I recall that a primary process seemed so chaotic that it really took to the end of the process to decide a candidate (in my lifetime). Anyone recall all the attack ads.. especially the one about the 2am phone call?

Might have been more interesting though if it hadn't all been predicted in the final season of 'The West Wing' in 2006.

Nonetheless both were very entertaining...
Debate.org Moderator
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:37:07 PM

Why?

1. He's not Obama
2. He's not Mitt Romney

I was only in 8th grade then but it was actually just as brutal. Not as stupid/silly because I think the Democratic electorate is on the whole just smarter and better educated than the GOP electorate. But yeah, between Obama and Hillary when it was late and still close sh*t got intense. I don't blame them though, that's how politics works in America, it would have happened with any other two candidates.