Jump to topic:

The case for undisclosed voting

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:46:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As we have seen in so many recurring primary elections, media and pollsters attest to self-fulfilling prophecies.

Media hype and unsubstantiated polling serves to detract from an otherwise unbiased position. What do I mean though?

Media outlets and polls report on the popularity of a candidate. The more popular, the more coverage the get. The more coverage they get, the more their popularity increases.

What underlying necessity is there in polling when all it serves to really confirm is how fickle and how easily manipulated they can be? What difference does it make to you what other people think? Why would it matter? All that should ever matter to you, as a voter, is what your candidate is proposing to do.

We've seen it repeat in every primary election cycle, whether it be GOP or DNC. People are willing to rest on their laurels so long as they unanimously vote to get the other guy (Bush/Obama) out of the White House.

This bias could be severely restricted if they simply did not conduct primaries one at a time, but like how they do it for presidential elections. You WAIT until the national average is voted before you report the results. As it stands now, reporting results early, state by state, only ensures mass pandering and flip-flopping rather than people genuinely voting for their preferred candidate.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:50:06 PM
Candidates will continue to poll so that they can see where their bases are and where their weaknesses are (like say elderly, or in particular areas). This is vital to them so that they can more efficiently plan their campaigns. Since they will do it, the numbers will always get out to the media and so out to the general population.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:55:01 PM
But as far as primaries go and election days, I agree. I believe that the entire nation should have the primary or election on the same day, so all states matter and there is no real "momentum," only message.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:58:14 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:50:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Candidates will continue to poll so that they can see where their bases are and where their weaknesses are (like say elderly, or in particular areas). This is vital to them so that they can more efficiently plan their campaigns. Since they will do it, the numbers will always get out to the media and so out to the general population.:

Candidates don't poll, pollsters poll, and it sometimes works in their favor and sometimes works against them. It's unnecessary and counterproductive.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 5:59:10 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:55:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
But as far as primaries go and election days, I agree. I believe that the entire nation should have the primary or election on the same day, so all states matter and there is no real "momentum," only message.:

Exactly, or so how one state votes doesn't affect how another one will. Makes no sense to me.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:03:31 PM
Cause.

That's why. Cause.

In all seriousness, I think one thing that's kinda "nice" about it, is that we definitely learn what the candidates stand for, and to be frank, it's more entertaining. Not saying that's good, but that's what it is.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:03:32 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:58:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/17/2012 5:50:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Candidates will continue to poll so that they can see where their bases are and where their weaknesses are (like say elderly, or in particular areas). This is vital to them so that they can more efficiently plan their campaigns. Since they will do it, the numbers will always get out to the media and so out to the general population.:

Candidates don't poll, pollsters poll, and it sometimes works in their favor and sometimes works against them. It's unnecessary and counterproductive.

Candidates would poll if the media didn't (why spend the money if the media will do it for free?).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 6:05:28 PM
At 3/17/2012 5:59:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/17/2012 5:55:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
But as far as primaries go and election days, I agree. I believe that the entire nation should have the primary or election on the same day, so all states matter and there is no real "momentum," only message.:

Exactly, or so how one state votes doesn't affect how another one will. Makes no sense to me.

The only good I can see from it is that

1) It makes it more physically possible for candidates to visit each state (though less likely to actually care about doing that).
2) Gives candidates a chance to adjust their message (i.e. flip flop).
3) Gives better rating over a long period of time so that new media can make a lot more money covering it for so long (as well as however much is spent/wasted in the campaigns).