Jump to topic:

The Judiciary and Executive

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 3:45:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People think because the constitution is very broad with the powers of the Judiciary and the Executive branches, that the Judiciary and Executive powers are themselves broad.

This is false. In article 1 section 8 the constitution grants congress the power "To make Rules for the Government ". This is why the President's power is only briefly described, and why the supreme court's power is even more brief.

An example of the power of congress to define the powers of the other 2 branches, would be the Judiciary Act of 1789, passed by the first congress.

The authority of the executive and judicial branch are limited to the laws passed by congress, and as such executive orders, and common law rulings may not contradict statutory law.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:06:20 PM
You do realize that portions of the Judiciary Act of 1789 were nullified by the Supreme Court in Marbury v. Madison right? The balance of powers maintained among the branches are such that each branch may cancel an act of another.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:51:54 PM
At 3/18/2012 4:06:20 PM, 000ike wrote:
You do realize that portions of the Judiciary Act of 1789 were nullified by the Supreme Court in Marbury v. Madison right? The balance of powers maintained among the branches are such that each branch may cancel an act of another.

That was a power grab by the supreme court. Again common law, such as judicial review, is only relevant in court because that's the only place it can be enforced.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:21:13 PM
At 3/18/2012 3:45:21 PM, DanT wrote:
People think because the constitution is very broad with the powers of the Judiciary and the Executive branches, that the Judiciary and Executive powers are themselves broad.

This is false. In article 1 section 8 the constitution grants congress the power "To make Rules for the Government ". This is why the President's power is only briefly described, and why the supreme court's power is even more brief.

An example of the power of congress to define the powers of the other 2 branches, would be the Judiciary Act of 1789, passed by the first congress.

The authority of the executive and judicial branch are limited to the laws passed by congress, and as such executive orders, and common law rulings may not contradict statutory law.

More Bovine scatology. Take a history class. Hint, read something written before reagan.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:23:35 PM
At 3/18/2012 4:06:20 PM, 000ike wrote:

oh well then we need people in the executive branch actually decreasing their power as their regulations are not effected by congress or the judiciary, either the executive branch shrinks or the other two grow, I vote executive shrinks.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:27:57 PM
At 3/18/2012 8:21:13 PM, logicrules wrote:

More Bovine scatology. Take a history class. Hint, read something written before reagan.

Wait are you saying the Judiciary Act of 1789 and the constitution came after Reagan? Seriously do you ever read what your commenting on?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 7:17:38 AM
At 3/18/2012 8:27:57 PM, DanT wrote:

Wait are you saying the Judiciary Act of 1789 and the constitution came after Reagan? Seriously do you ever read what your commenting on?

No...I am saying you failed to include the above referenced Marbury case, and every case since. You want the Congress to be the Supreme dictator. Hence the point, perhaps it is just your reading skills.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 7:58:56 AM
At 3/19/2012 7:17:38 AM, logicrules wrote:

No...I am saying you failed to include the above referenced Marbury case, and every case since.
Common law is only relevant to court cases
You want the Congress to be the Supreme dictator. Hence the point, perhaps it is just your reading skills.
I find it hilarious you question my reading skills, when you can neither read nor write.

You misspell words, you misuse words, you misplace punctuations, you forget punctuations, and you misuse punctuations. Your writing is slop simullar to that of a 7th grader, and your reading comprehension skills are not any better.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 1:34:42 PM
At 3/19/2012 7:58:56 AM, DanT wrote:

No...I am saying you failed to include the above referenced Marbury case, and every case since.
You want the Congress to be the Supreme dictator. Hence the point, perhaps it is just your reading skills.
I find it hilarious you question my reading skills, when you can neither read nor write.

You misspell words, you misuse words, you misplace punctuations, you forget punctuations, and you misuse punctuations. Your writing is slop simullar to that of a 7th grader, and your reading comprehension skills are not any better.

LOL I see, very substantive....and you are correct, I can not type and I do not use a secretary for DDO. You, on the other hand, clearly cannot read.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 3:00:06 PM
At 3/20/2012 1:34:42 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/19/2012 7:58:56 AM, DanT wrote:

LOL I see, very substantive....and you are correct, I can not type and I do not use a secretary for DDO. You, on the other hand, clearly cannot read.

I can sure as hell read better than you.