Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Opposite of Progressive

Bruin2006
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is REgressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "REgressive" side?
We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:30:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The word progressive and the political ideology progressive are two different things.

Just like saying you're pro-life doesn't mean the other side is anti-life. Just like someone who is pro-choice does not mean the opposite side is anti-choice. Just like the opposite of progress isn't congress.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:32:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 4:30:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:
The word progressive and the political ideology progressive are two different things.

this
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:44:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you take apart the word conservative, it means to conserve the old ways so in a sense it is opposite of progressive. However, the idea is that the old ways have always worked so there is no need to change. This all falls a part when you realize that these terms, just like liberal have shifted around and now liberal means something quite different than it did 200 years ago. It also assumes it is a two sided continuum which is also false.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 4:49:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM, Bruin2006 wrote:
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

the opposite of progressive is conservative

progressives favor implementing social reform, while conservatives favor tradition.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Progressivism is not always a good thing, and often times it contradicts the idea of limited government.
According to progressivism, we should ignore the principles upon which the nation was founded, as tradition is not a virtue in progressive philosophy.
According to progressivism we should not have a constitution, which limits the power of government; progressives believe the government should be free to promote change.
As opposed to classic liberalism, and more broadly libertarianism, progressives often believe in reform on a national level. This is why progressivism was originally called "new nationalism" in the US.
Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is REgressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "REgressive" side?

the opposite of progressive in a political sense is conservative in a political sense. The opposite of liberal in a political sense is authoritarian in a political sense. liberalism being individualism, and authoritarianism being collectivism. Classic liberalism is right wing, and social liberalism (modern/progressive liberalism) is just as liberal as (classic) liberal conservatism (modern conservatism). Classic liberalism is libertarian liberalism, liberal conservatism is conservative liberalism, and social liberalism is progressive liberalism.

here is a political spectrum chart to help explain
http://i48.servimg.com...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 7:14:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM, Bruin2006 wrote:
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is REgressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "REgressive" side?

Only to those ignorant of history. Originally, as a political designation, the opposite of conservative was Progressive. (See England in the late 19th. Century) Thus, your new term aint so new after all. One might say you regressed.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 7:27:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM, Bruin2006 wrote:
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is Regressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "Regressive" side?

In theory progressive means to advance but that is not what progressive liberal ideology does. It is stifles and destroys advancement through excessive regulation in the name of advancement. Thus they should be called "regressive policy wank liberal socialist/communist democrats." Back to the pre WW2 days and total govt control of everything. Except abortion of course.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:59:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:01:20 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
The opposite of progressive is Batman.

Aw, beat me to it. >:(
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 12:18:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If conservatives decided to name their party the Super Awesome party, would you be un-awesome for opposing their Awesomeness?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 3:21:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM, Bruin2006 wrote:
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is REgressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "REgressive" side?

Conservatives want to conserve society, in other words, conservatives want to keep things the way they are.
Progressives want to progress society, in other words, progressives want to reform or change society.

The term "progress" has two meanings, "to better the conditions of", and "onward movement toward a destination"
Progressives use the 2nd definition, hoping people like yourselves would draw an association with 1st definition.

In reality progressivism is a reformist ideology, not always for the better.

The opposite of "progress" is "conserve" the same way the opposite of "reform" is "tradition"; "progressive" means "reformist" and "conservative" means "traditionalist"
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 3:33:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/18/2012 3:59:22 PM, Bruin2006 wrote:
I notice in a lot of debates right-wingers using the word "progressive" as if it were an insult. As a Democrat, I find this confusing.

To be progressive means to move forward, or advance. Major historical accomplishments like women suffrage, civil rights for blacks, early days of space exploration, the 40-hour work week, and marriage equality come to mind.

Now let's get one thing straight: The opposite of liberal may be conservative, but the opposite of progressive is REgressive, which means to become less advanced. So if I'm being judged by future generations, wouldn't it be better to be on the "progressive" side, rather than the opposite "REgressive" side?:

Consider the source!

I think I'll start a political ideology called "Awesome," and then anyone who opposes it shall be the opposite of awesome.

What you call "progression," I find "regressive."

You can call a turd a piece of art if you're so inclined, but it's still a piece of sh*t to me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 3:35:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 12:18:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If conservatives decided to name their party the Super Awesome party, would you be un-awesome for opposing their Awesomeness?:

WTF?!?! I came up with the same deduction... even the same word, without ever having seen this post. Seriously.

That means, you sir, are AWESOME
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 3:48:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 3:35:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/19/2012 12:18:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If conservatives decided to name their party the Super Awesome party, would you be un-awesome for opposing their Awesomeness?:

WTF?!?! I came up with the same deduction... even the same word, without ever having seen this post. Seriously.

That means, you sir, are AWESOME

that's 2 members, chairmen, and treasurer. You will have a 3rd party in no time.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:17:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 3:50:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The art of politics and BS is the ability to produce sweet sounding names for crap.

Just ask Chompskie.

Like NICE?
http://www.nice.org.uk...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:02:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 4:17:47 PM, DanT wrote:
At 3/19/2012 3:50:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The art of politics and BS is the ability to produce sweet sounding names for crap.

Just ask Chompskie.

Like NICE?
http://www.nice.org.uk...

Still is for the most part better health care than we have...
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Opposite of progressive = me
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:36:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.

Yeah, because I really run around relishing in the fact that I'm Liberal. You're making pretty uninformed comments lately.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:38:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:36:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.

Yeah, because I really run around relishing in the fact that I'm Liberal. You're making pretty uninformed comments lately.

You spout your ridiculous ideology at every corner and in every thread. You do not accept other's viewpoints and you merely dismiss them as false. He devotes himself to the name; you devote yourself to the ideas.

So yeah..... Teapot calling the kettle black.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:42:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:38:24 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:36:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.

Yeah, because I really run around relishing in the fact that I'm Liberal. You're making pretty uninformed comments lately.

You spout your ridiculous ideology at every corner and in every thread. You do not accept other's viewpoints and you merely dismiss them as false. He devotes himself to the name; you devote yourself to the ideas.

So yeah..... Teapot calling the kettle black.

You're a moron. Please produce 1 comment of me spouting Liberalism aimlessly in one of the threads in the 1st or 2nd page of the politics forum.....or are you too content to make vacuous and ill-informed assertions based on how you "guess" I behave?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:43:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:42:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:38:24 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:36:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.

Yeah, because I really run around relishing in the fact that I'm Liberal. You're making pretty uninformed comments lately.

You spout your ridiculous ideology at every corner and in every thread. You do not accept other's viewpoints and you merely dismiss them as false. He devotes himself to the name; you devote yourself to the ideas.

So yeah..... Teapot calling the kettle black.

You're a moron. Please produce 1 comment of me spouting Liberalism aimlessly in one of the threads in the 1st or 2nd page of the politics forum.....or are you too content to make vacuous and ill-informed assertions based on how you "guess" I behave?

Trolol. Anybody that looks at any ideological threads that you posted on can clearly see the consistent demonstration and spouting of a liberal ideology, while not taking in other's viewpoints.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:47:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:43:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:42:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:38:24 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:36:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:32:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:20:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:15:02 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Opposite of progressive = me

I find it annoying how much fanaticism and mindless worship you devote to your ideology....

Teapot calling the kettle black.

Yeah, because I really run around relishing in the fact that I'm Liberal. You're making pretty uninformed comments lately.

You spout your ridiculous ideology at every corner and in every thread. You do not accept other's viewpoints and you merely dismiss them as false. He devotes himself to the name; you devote yourself to the ideas.

So yeah..... Teapot calling the kettle black.

You're a moron. Please produce 1 comment of me spouting Liberalism aimlessly in one of the threads in the 1st or 2nd page of the politics forum.....or are you too content to make vacuous and ill-informed assertions based on how you "guess" I behave?

Trolol. Anybody that looks at any ideological threads that you posted on can clearly see the consistent demonstration and spouting of a liberal ideology, while not taking in other's viewpoints.

lol so you can't produce one? ....As I said, don't make vacuous and ignorant assertions based on how you "guess" I might behave.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:50:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Perfect example:

http://www.debate.org...

Second post is quite conclusive.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:52:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:50:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Perfect example:

http://www.debate.org...

Second post is quite conclusive.

LMAO oh yeah! What a staunchly Liberal position! ...arguing against drug legalization. I'm such a liberal fanatic I can't contain it.

I never had a lot of respect for you to start with, but wow, this really grounds it to nothing. You're not that bright are you?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:55:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/19/2012 6:52:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:50:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Perfect example:

http://www.debate.org...

Second post is quite conclusive.

LMAO oh yeah! What a staunchly Liberal position! ...arguing against drug legalization. I'm such a liberal fanatic I can't contain it.

I never had a lot of respect for you to start with, but wow, this really grounds it to nothing. You're not that bright are you?

LOL. You really are pathetic. If you had a shred of intellectual substance, then you would have realized that arguing against drug legalization IS a strictly liberal/libertarian policy. Apparently, you are too dumb to comprehend that.

Your stupidity has gotten to a point of no return. You sound exactly like Hussein Obama in his speeches.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."