Jump to topic:

What Cuban immigrants think of Obama

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 4:54:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is the 3rd time I heard a Cuban immigrant compare Obama to Castro.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 4:57:19 PM
Not surprising. The overwhelming majority of Cuban-Americans are staunchly conservative.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:18:12 PM
My 5th grade teacher was a Cuban immigrant,...same one who told me that people who don't have a religion are ignorant.

I'm not inclined to value this man's opinion. He obviously didn't spend enough time with Castro for him to make such a careless comparison....that, or he's suffering from Alzheimer's.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:22:34 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:18:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
My 5th grade teacher was a Cuban immigrant,...same one who told me that people who don't have a religion are ignorant.

I'm not inclined to value this man's opinion. He obviously didn't spend enough time with Castro for him to make such a careless comparison....that, or he's suffering from Alzheimer's.

I bet he spent more time with Castro than you.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:23:43 PM
My 5th grade teacher was a Cuban immigrant,...same one who told me that people who don't have a religion are ignorant.:

They also tend to be Catholic.

I'm not inclined to value this man's opinion. He obviously didn't spend enough time with Castro for him to make such a careless comparison....that, or he's suffering from Alzheimer's.:

Yeah, you're right... Castro was the bees knees, which explains why thousands upon thousands fled on a perilous journey that often resulted in a slow and agonizing death.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:27:53 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:23:43 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
My 5th grade teacher was a Cuban immigrant,...same one who told me that people who don't have a religion are ignorant.:

They also tend to be Catholic.

I'm not inclined to value this man's opinion. He obviously didn't spend enough time with Castro for him to make such a careless comparison....that, or he's suffering from Alzheimer's.:

Yeah, you're right... Castro was the bees knees, which explains why thousands upon thousands fled on a perilous journey that often resulted in a slow and agonizing death.

I'm not saying Castro was great. I'm saying that the president should not be compared to an oppressive Cuban dictator.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:28:30 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:22:34 PM, DanT wrote:

Yes he has. Now which of my arguments did you disprove? Oh yeah, that's right...none.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:32:12 PM

I'm not saying Castro was great. I'm saying that the president should not be compared to an oppressive Cuban dictator.:

Maybe it was a comparison to economic policies..? Dunno...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:34:49 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:28:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/30/2012 5:22:34 PM, DanT wrote:

Yes he has. Now which of my arguments did you disprove? Oh yeah, that's right...none.

I know someone who's family were in Castro's inner circle, who fled to Florida. He says the same thing as this guy. Unfortunately I don't have it on film, but you would probably find some reason to doubt it anyhow.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:40:50 PM
I know someone who's family were in Castro's inner circle, who fled to Florida. He says the same thing as this guy. Unfortunately I don't have it on film, but you would probably find some reason to doubt it anyhow.:

Growing up in Miami, my neighbor across the street was the son of President Batista (the guy who was overthrown by Castro in a violent coup d'etat). So, needless to say, they weren't exactly Fidel's biggest fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:41:09 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:27:53 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm saying that the president should not be compared to an oppressive Cuban dictator.

So we can't question the supreme leader? We can't compare the supreme leader to a dictator?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 7:24:15 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what younger generations of Cubans think about Obama.

You can kinda divide the cuban vote by who is for or against the embargo. The younger generation is overwhelmingly in favor of ending the embargo while the older generation (those who experienced Castro or their children) is overwhelmingly in favor of the embargo and any other means of subverting Castro's rule (hence, Congress panders to Cuban americans by STILL broadcasting anti-castro radio into Cuba, but the strategy backfired when the voting cubans weren't in the appropriate generation.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 7:41:37 PM
At 3/30/2012 7:30:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
As a cuban immigrant I can tell you that I think he tastes delicious, especially with some chicken and curly fries.

I hope you had a wording error here.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 8:04:55 PM
At 3/30/2012 7:24:15 PM, Wnope wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what younger generations of Cubans think about Obama.:

I'm pretty sure it is as divided as Americans are.

You can kinda divide the cuban vote by who is for or against the embargo. The younger generation is overwhelmingly in favor of ending the embargo while the older generation (those who experienced Castro or their children) is overwhelmingly in favor of the embargo and any other means of subverting Castro's rule (hence, Congress panders to Cuban americans by STILL broadcasting anti-castro radio into Cuba, but the strategy backfired when the voting cubans weren't in the appropriate generation.:

I don't see the benefit in the embargo, even if you were a seething, foam-at-the-mouth anti-Castro advocate. All it does is hurt the Cuban people who, if they began importing American goods, might get a taste of what economic freedom and prosperity could bring and might demand a better way of life.

As it stands now, it keeps the Cubans insular and totally in the dark about what their own country's regime is really doing. Many simply accept it because they don't know any better. They're pumped propaganda on a daily basis.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 8:14:24 PM
At 3/30/2012 8:04:55 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what younger generations of Cubans think about Obama.:

You can kinda divide the cuban vote by who is for or against the embargo. The younger generation is overwhelmingly in favor of ending the embargo while the older generation (those who experienced Castro or their children) is overwhelmingly in favor of the embargo and any other means of subverting Castro's rule (hence, Congress panders to Cuban americans by STILL broadcasting anti-castro radio into Cuba, but the strategy backfired when the voting cubans weren't in the appropriate generation.:

I don't see the benefit in the embargo, even if you were a seething, foam-at-the-mouth anti-Castro advocate. All it does is hurt the Cuban people who, if they began importing American goods, might get a taste of what economic freedom and prosperity could bring and might demand a better way of life.

As it stands now, it keeps the Cubans insular and totally in the dark about what their own country's regime is really doing. Many simply accept it because they don't know any better. They're pumped propaganda on a daily basis.

I fully agree.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 9:07:25 AM

I see the benefit. We can turn a communist nation into a democracy!
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 9:13:03 AM
I see the benefit. We can turn a communist nation into a democracy!:

How, if you are cutting off the very means to be democratic? The very best way to expose them captialism is to trade with them. The US seems to be complicit in keeping them under the communist veil. They're helping to facilitate that. It's completely backwards.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 9:57:04 AM
At 3/31/2012 9:13:03 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

How, if you are cutting off the very means to be democratic? The very best way to expose them captialism is to trade with them. The US seems to be complicit in keeping them under the communist veil. They're helping to facilitate that. It's completely backwards.

I agree, trade with other nations will help expose them to Capitalism and Democracy, and then they will demand reform if they wish to compete better with the US. Besides, why do we really care if Cuba is Communist if they are only one of six Communist nations left?

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 9:57:53 AM
At 3/31/2012 9:57:04 AM, Contra wrote:
At 3/31/2012 9:13:03 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I agree, trade with other nations will help expose them to Capitalism and Democracy, and then they will demand reform if they wish to compete better with the US. Besides, why do we really care if Cuba is Communist if they are only one of five Communist nations left?

fixed

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 3:18:27 PM

Oh, I'm thoroughly against the embargo as well.

However, a lot of older Cuban americans, when cast out, had ties to the Batista regime, meaning their land and homes were confiscated. That, combined with Castro's oppressive rule, basically has the older Cuban generation wanting to get their licks in.

Basically, older generations have a very well-justified chip on their shoulder which leads to more retributive actions than useful policy.

That's why the younger generation is less in support of the embargo: they haven't experienced Castro or his oppression first-hand.