Jump to topic:

Mitt Romney in 1994

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 9:12:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here are some videos from Mitt Romney during his presidential Campaign in 1994 against Ted Kennedy.

First, here is a campaign speech from 1994 (in two parts):

As you'll note, contrary to what many of his opponents say, Mitt Romney was a fairly conservative guy in 1994.

Next, here are a couple of clips about Romney on Health Care from 1994.

What you see here is support for universal health care. However, he also opposed the Clinton Health Care plan and criticized Ted Kennedy for not wanting to let the free market work in health care. All in all, this is pretty consistent with what he did in Massachussetts and later.

Finally, here is Romney on the death penalty:

Other than this, Romney also opposed all tax increases and supported spending cuts in 1994. He was a huge advocate of welfare reform and such. He also supported eliminating the department of education and having national school choice. Pretty conservative platform.

True, he wasn't conservative on everything. On social issues, he used to be pro choice, more pro gay rights, and more pro gun control. However, that doesn't really bother me personally. He also was a bit more moderate on some other issues like campaign finance reform. However, all in all, he ran as a conservative in 1994.

I have spent the last couple days looking through old clips of Romney before he ran for president in 2008. I feel much better about him and his core convictions.

He will get my vote and full support.
President of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:56:42 PM
Even though he is the status quo, won't end the warfare welfare state, will not balance the budget and is in the pockets of special interest?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:58:12 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:56:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Even though he is the status quo, won't end the warfare welfare state, will not balance the budget and is in the pockets of special interest?

There's noone that can get elected this year that can do any of that anyway. Blame public opinion.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:58:57 PM

Still voting for him.
President of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:49:53 PM

because the other 3 people hes running against are any of those things....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 2:40:23 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:49:53 PM, imabench wrote:

One of them is, I'll let ya guess.

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 1:08:31 PM

+1.

If Mitt Romney becomes President, things will stay more or less the same. Just like in all honesty and seriousness much hasn't really changed from Bush to Obama. Romney is the establishment. He's the epitome of the status quo. He will do and say absolutely anything to get elected.

The establishment/status quo makes no differentiation between Democrat and Republican. They are two heads of the same monster and the truth is politicians from both parties agree on most things; the usual debate between the two presidential candidates is pitifully limited and focuses on irrelevant crap that won't make a big difference to anyone. The big questions - the ones that only Ron Paul is willing to raise - remain off the table.

Mitt Romney will not change that. He will not change anything of significance. He will not reduce the growth of government. He will, like Obama and Bush before him, continue to expand it.

If you care about doing something about big government, ending the welfare state, electing an honest politician who stands up to special interests (as opposed to Romney who is obviously owned by them), and fiscal responsibility.... Vote Ron Paul. Because the fact is, there are no other candidates who will do jack sh!t about any of those things aside from him.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 2:49:14 PM
At 4/2/2012 2:40:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:

well youre a libertarian so im guessing your one of the Ron Paul mindless minions
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 2:54:27 PM
At 4/3/2012 2:49:14 PM, imabench wrote:

well youre a libertarian so im guessing your one of the Ron Paul mindless minions

Gary Johnson, but yes, we are just about as mindless as Obama and Romney minions.

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 4:40:39 PM
At 4/3/2012 2:54:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Gary Johnson, but yes, we are just about as mindless as Obama and Romney minions.

I hear this comparison often and it irks me because it isn't quite accurate. For one, the majority of Ron Paul supporters first adhered to some other ideology or were apathetic... Point is they reached the conclusion after "waking up" to the political situation, rejecting the status quo, etc. As such I would say the vast majority of Paul supporting libertarians are competent in understanding and rejecting other ideologies, such as modern liberalism or neoconservatism, etc. So in that sense, Paul supporters and libertarians in general tend to be more intelligent and aware of history, economics, and philosophy than the average Obama or Romney supporter.

I think it's important that most Paul supporters and libertarians were not raised that way and reached the conclusion by themselves - particularly so with the massive influx of young libertarians today. Because they considered other ideologies first. And they rejected them. Thus they tend to know their sh!t. And this is the case for the average Ron Paul supporter. Not so with the average Obama or Romney supporters and even sometimes not with their more devoted supporters.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 7:23:30 PM
At 4/3/2012 4:40:39 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 4/3/2012 2:54:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I hear this comparison often and it irks me because it isn't quite accurate. For one, the majority of Ron Paul supporters first adhered to some other ideology or were apathetic... Point is they reached the conclusion after "waking up" to the political situation, rejecting the status quo, etc. As such I would say the vast majority of Paul supporting libertarians are competent in understanding and rejecting other ideologies, such as modern liberalism or neoconservatism, etc. So in that sense, Paul supporters and libertarians in general tend to be more intelligent and aware of history, economics, and philosophy than the average Obama or Romney supporter.

I think it's important that most Paul supporters and libertarians were not raised that way and reached the conclusion by themselves - particularly so with the massive influx of young libertarians today. Because they considered other ideologies first. And they rejected them. Thus they tend to know their sh!t. And this is the case for the average Ron Paul supporter. Not so with the average Obama or Romney supporters and even sometimes not with their more devoted supporters.

How about this, ill concede that average Libertarians are sane if you concede that average Romney supporters and Obama supporters are the same too