Jump to topic:

"Spreading the wealth"

mauricio2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:21:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't like this Obama thing "spreading the wealth" I see what he is trying to do there and I think that the goal of the idea is an okay idea but in our country it is impossible to do that and unfair to those who are wealthy and just a other way for those who don't work hard to depend on our government. what are your thoughts on it?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:25:54 PM
Obamas not doing a good job of it, I believe the wealth gap has only grown under his administration.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:33:36 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:21:40 PM, mauricio2 wrote:
I don't like this Obama thing "spreading the wealth" I see what he is trying to do there and I think that the goal of the idea is an okay idea but in our country it is impossible to do that and unfair to those who are wealthy and just a other way for those who don't work hard to depend on our government. what are your thoughts on it?

I think the law of diminishing returns applies with regards to money improving a person's quality of life. That is, a million dollars would not increase Bill Gate's quality of life as much as it would a homeless person.

That said, not only do we lack an infrastructure by which wealth can be objectively and fairly "spread," it is contrary to the adopted ideal of free market capitalism that is at the core of this country's economy. The entire system is designed to result in winners and losers, rich and poor, and I believe most people would rather be rich at the implicit expense of someone else becoming poor rather than just becoming moderately financially stable and being on par with those around them.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:37:54 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:33:36 PM, drafterman wrote:

I think the law of diminishing returns applies with regards to money improving a person's quality of life. That is, a million dollars would not increase Bill Gate's quality of life as much as it would a homeless person.

Well ya but Bill Gates probably gave said million dollars to charity. I think moving money from wealthy to poor through govt. has never and I don't think will ever work.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:42:24 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:37:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Well ya but Bill Gates probably gave said million dollars to charity. I think moving money from wealthy to poor through govt. has never and I don't think will ever work.

Of course it does not work.
If you saw that video clip of Huey Long, he talks about "not wanting to destroy Standard Oil" but then says he wants to approriate the vast majority of stock ownership to the general public. The businessmen that made the company run will walk away. The public has no clue how to run an oil business, therefore the company will die under that scheme.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:47:32 PM

What? Obama is spreading the wealth? Then where's my wealth because I haven't seen any of it spread my way. As far as I can tell, the rich are still rich and the middle class is getting poorer and the gap is getting bigger. Again, where is this wealth spread happening?

The only time I've seen Obama spread the wealth was when he took all of the poor people's tax dollars and gave it to the big bankers so they could have a vacation and consolidate power.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:51:13 PM
When the government tries to redistribute wealth, it typically means redistributing wealth from productive citizens to government bureacrats.
President of DDO
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:52:12 PM
Obama is spreading the wealth alright. He is spreading the wealth from productive people to government bureacrats.
President of DDO
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:58:14 PM

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where the wealthy were just so abundant that they decided to spread that wealth to those in need? unfortunately, it doesn't happen like that. greedy bastards get wealthy. When you have a lot of wealth, it is easier to gain more wealth. Some laws need to be in place so that the wealthy don't control all wealth, or else the average citizen would be living with no electricity or ability to get food. Unfortunately, this seems to be the destiny of our country.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:01:15 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:58:14 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where the wealthy were just so abundant that they decided to spread that wealth to those in need? unfortunately, it doesn't happen like that. greedy bastards get wealthy. When you have a lot of wealth, it is easier to gain more wealth. Some laws need to be in place so that the wealthy don't control all wealth, or else the average citizen would be living with no electricity or ability to get food. Unfortunately, this seems to be the destiny of our country.

The government controls near all the wealth now Licky. Lot's of people that depend on the Govt. for food and electricity don't get it. Food Supplements get denied. Brownouts happen. Nuke em all and start from scratch.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:01:19 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:51:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
There are huge gaps in education as well...

There used to be a time when poor people were hungry for education. What happened?

indoctrination and societal standards because the ones on top of the money chain control our entertainment.

it's not cool to be smart, greyparrot.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:03:12 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:01:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Nuke em all and start from scratch.

+1
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:03:16 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:01:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/2/2012 12:58:14 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

The government controls near all the wealth now Licky. Lot's of people that depend on the Govt. for food and electricity don't get it. Food Supplements get denied. Brownouts happen. Nuke em all and start from scratch.

A+
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:04:25 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:25:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Obamas not doing a good job of it, I believe the wealth gap has only grown under his administration.

>.<
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:09:05 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:04:25 PM, DanT wrote:
At 4/2/2012 12:25:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:

>.<

by the way, workers are both assets, and liabilities, depending on the labor demand compared to the labor hired.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle