Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dream Politician

imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:54:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
not a dumba**
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:00:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My dream politician - the honesty, bluntness, consistency, refusal to bow to lobbyists, respect for the Constitution of Ron Paul. Someone who will tell people what he perceives is the truth, even if it will be unpopular and it's not what they want to hear.

In terms of political views, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Small government, pro freedom all around. A generally non-interventionist foreign policy - no voting for a war unless the country honestly poses a threat to our security and we actually have a plan for fighting the war as quickly and efficiently as possible. But this politician would be more willing to compromise than Ron Paul is and not be as absolutist. Also when I say socially liberal I include pro-choice which Ron Paul is technically not (just doesnt want the federal govt involved).

I honestly think if all our politicians had all the aforementioned characteristics, the state of our country would improve drastically in every aspect.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:42:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:50:40 AM, mauricio2 wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1.) Intelligent
2.) Honorable
3.) Honest
4.) Should believe Government's only role is to protect John Locke's Trinity of Life, Liberty, and Property
5.) Should believe in strict constitutionalism
6.) Should believe in Rule of Law
7.) Should be in favor of Republicanism
8.) Should value liberty above all else
9.) Should not be anti-[insert any religion here]
10.) Should believe in state rights
11.) should believe in free market economics
12.) should be against Keynesian economics
13.) should oppose socialism in all forms.
14.) Should defend the constitution regardless of political opposition
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest
2) Charismatic
3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class
4) Loyal to our Constitution

Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 10:34:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ron Paul is my dream politician.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 12:21:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 10:34:36 AM, Reasoning wrote:
Ron Paul is my dream politician.

The Fool: pls don't say that in here. You sound like you just nutted in your pants.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 2:06:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:42:27 AM, DanT wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:50:40 AM, mauricio2 wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1.) Intelligent
2.) Honorable
3.) Honest

4.) Should believe Government's only role is to protect John Locke's Trinity of Life, Liberty, and Property

5.) Should believe in strict constitutionalism
6.) Should believe in Rule of Law
7.) Should be in favor of Republicanism
8.) Should value liberty above all else
9.) Should not be anti-[insert any religion here]
10.) Should believe in state rights
11.) should believe in free market economics
12.) should be against Keynesian economics
13.) should oppose socialism in all forms.
14.) Should defend the constitution regardless of political opposition

The Fool:
1) Rational
2) Adaptability is really important. They must be able to embrace change and new ideas, upon new information, even if it means changes everything.

(things change, and the successfull constition of yesterday may not the successfull now. I like the Easterm Roman(Byzantins) example, in that the eastern Roman empire lasted 1000 years longer then the west, But there eventual down fal was due to the fact that they kept trying to do things the old test and trusted Roman way, but in time the world adapted and changed and those who they one thought to be barbarians is what they actually became in the end. I see that happening in the US now, education success is dropping, old religious fundemalism is riseing, debt is increasing and so are enemies everywhere, the world respect that they once had is in decay, the only people who thing the America is positive to society right now is the Americans. (9/11) was emplematic of the beginning of a steady down fall of an empire. You need to do something about education fast so the country is able to understand, grasp new ideas, and adapt with the rest of the world.

3. World awarness. They must be conscious of the process of the flow of the world.

4. Better then us. Our selfishness limits the ability of a country because we all don't want to percieve that anybody is better then us, we even only vote for people who we can relate to, but this may be are own doom. It is most reasonable to have a leader who is infact the best we can produce in the country. We want the final decisions to be made from the best of us, not the average of us.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 2:13:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Intelligent, knowledgeable, loyal, consistent, outspoken, tolerant, cooperative, and have experience of how a society is driven (e.g., experience from business or similar things). These are the main qualities.

I think certain politicians from various meet most of these criteria. Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich from America. Former president of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. Soon-to-be president of Russia Vladimir Putin definitely meets most of these criteria. And a Bosnian politician Haris Silajdzic is what I'd call a dream politician too.

There are certain good examples. The sad thing is that non-experienced, inconsistent, lying, intolerant politicians often come to power and wreck everything that a society has accomplished.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 2:19:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 2:06:46 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:42:27 AM, DanT wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:50:40 AM, mauricio2 wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1.) Intelligent
2.) Honorable
3.) Honest

4.) Should believe Government's only role is to protect John Locke's Trinity of Life, Liberty, and Property

5.) Should believe in strict constitutionalism
6.) Should believe in Rule of Law
7.) Should be in favor of Republicanism
8.) Should value liberty above all else
9.) Should not be anti-[insert any religion here]
10.) Should believe in state rights
11.) should believe in free market economics
12.) should be against Keynesian economics
13.) should oppose socialism in all forms.
14.) Should defend the constitution regardless of political opposition


The Fool:
1) Rational
2) Adaptability is really important. They must be able to embrace change and new ideas, upon new information, even if it means changes everything.

(things change, and the successfull constition of yesterday may not the successfull now. I like the Easterm Roman(Byzantins) example, in that the eastern Roman empire lasted 1000 years longer then the west, But there eventual down fal was due to the fact that they kept trying to do things the old test and trusted Roman way, but in time the world adapted and changed and those who they one thought to be barbarians is what they actually became in the end. I see that happening in the US now, education success is dropping, old religious fundemalism is riseing, debt is increasing and so are enemies everywhere, the world respect that they once had is in decay, the only people who thing the America is positive to society right now is the Americans. (9/11) was emplematic of the beginning of a steady down fall of an empire. You need to do something about education fast so the country is able to understand, grasp new ideas, and adapt with the rest of the world.


We have an amendment process. You reasons for breaking the constitution are illogical.

3. World awarness. They must be conscious of the process of the flow of the world.

That's all fine and dandy but the US comes first. We should not stab ourselves in the heart to save our face.

4. Better then us. Our selfishness limits the ability of a country because we all don't want to percieve that anybody is better then us, we even only vote for people who we can relate to, but this may be are own doom. It is most reasonable to have a leader who is infact the best we can produce in the country. We want the final decisions to be made from the best of us, not the average of us.

I agree that populism is a destructive ideology.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 6:21:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 5:49:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:
A fabulous troll.

who
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM, Contra wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest

good

2) Charismatic

eh

3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class

Success is bad?

4) Loyal to our Constitution

Don't you like obama?


Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:49:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 6:21:29 PM, DanT wrote:
At 4/4/2012 5:49:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:
A fabulous troll.

who

No, that's my definition of a dream politician.

Needless to say, I am more satisfied with the political landscape than most people.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:50:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM, Contra wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest

good

2) Charismatic

eh

3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class

Success is bad?

You can be successful yet relatable to the middle class -- for example FDR.

4) Loyal to our Constitution

Don't you like obama?

Besides the signing of the health care mandate (instead of Single Payer or a similar system), signing the NDAA (defense authorization bill), renewing the PATRIOT act, and continuing the War in Afghanistan, I do support Obama mostly. He is in some areas too moderate.


Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:51:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the dream politician would be someone who made unpopular decisions and because of these decisions, the person is despised. However, this person makes these decisions because it is what society needs. You know, the guy that makes unpopular spending cuts or unpopular increases in taxes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:56:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:51:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I think the dream politician would be someone who made unpopular decisions and because of these decisions, the person is despised. However, this person makes these decisions because it is what society needs. You know, the guy that makes unpopular spending cuts or unpopular increases in taxes.

+1

So true.

I think a great example would be President Truman.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:57:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:50:51 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM, Contra wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest

good

2) Charismatic

eh

3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class

Success is bad?

You can be successful yet relatable to the middle class -- for example FDR.

Relatable you said, assuming rich people are not relatable.


4) Loyal to our Constitution

Don't you like obama?

Besides the signing of the health care mandate (instead of Single Payer or a similar system), signing the NDAA (defense authorization bill), renewing the PATRIOT act, and continuing the War in Afghanistan, I do support Obama mostly. He is in some areas too moderate.

ever heard of the 10th amendment? Healthcare =/= defined power. Didn't you just say pro constitution? and the attack was obama has many unconstitutional things. Heck most of the laws we pass are unconstitutional.



Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Posts: 14,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:58:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Myself.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:02:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 8:01:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:58:43 PM, thett3 wrote:
Myself.

Seconded

That was my own but in a more refined form.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:13:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:57:04 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:50:51 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM, Contra wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest

good

2) Charismatic

eh

3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class

Success is bad?

You can be successful yet relatable to the middle class -- for example FDR.

Relatable you said, assuming rich people are not relatable.

You can be successful without being rich. Just, don't shove your wealth down other's throats, like this:

"I made a lot of money"
"I drive a couple of Cadillac's actually."

You can probably guess who I'm talking about.


4) Loyal to our Constitution

Don't you like obama?

Besides the signing of the health care mandate (instead of Single Payer or a similar system), signing the NDAA (defense authorization bill), renewing the PATRIOT act, and continuing the War in Afghanistan, I do support Obama mostly. He is in some areas too moderate.

ever heard of the 10th amendment? Healthcare =/= defined power. Didn't you just say pro constitution? and the attack was obama has many unconstitutional things. Heck most of the laws we pass are unconstitutional.

Single Payer, also called "Improved Medicare for all" is Constitutional.



Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:14:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's very funny to me how we feel a need to have leaders. This is why I prefer leaders to be the best punch line on the joke they can be.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:22:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
ever heard of the 10th amendment? Healthcare =/= defined power. Didn't you just say pro constitution? and the attack was obama has many unconstitutional things. Heck most of the laws we pass are unconstitutional.

Commerce Clause:
[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes;

Necessary and Proper Clause:
[The Congress shall have Power] To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Put them together (the commerce clause is a power mentioned in the necessary and proper clause:
"[The Congress shall have Power] To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for [regulating] Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes."

Congress can regulate the health care industry to make it a Single-Payer system. It can be funded by taxes.

Attorney General Buddy Caldwell of Louisiana has said:

"Insurance companies are the absolute worst people to handle this kind of business." He then went on and endorsed the idea of a government backed single-payer system as "a whole lot better" than mandating private insurance.

Guess what? The same guy is a shock -- Republican.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:29:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 8:13:06 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:57:04 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:50:51 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:52:20 AM, Contra wrote:
Describe what you think all the things a good politician should have and be.

1) Honest

good

2) Charismatic

eh

3) Intelligent yet relatable to the middle class

Success is bad?

You can be successful yet relatable to the middle class -- for example FDR.

Relatable you said, assuming rich people are not relatable.

You can be successful without being rich. Just, don't shove your wealth down other's throats, like this:

"I made a lot of money"
"I drive a couple of Cadillac's actually."

You can probably guess who I'm talking about.

other people goaded him to say those answers, but ok lol.



4) Loyal to our Constitution

Don't you like obama?

Besides the signing of the health care mandate (instead of Single Payer or a similar system), signing the NDAA (defense authorization bill), renewing the PATRIOT act, and continuing the War in Afghanistan, I do support Obama mostly. He is in some areas too moderate.

ever heard of the 10th amendment? Healthcare =/= defined power. Didn't you just say pro constitution? and the attack was obama has many unconstitutional things. Heck most of the laws we pass are unconstitutional.

Single Payer, also called "Improved Medicare for all" is Constitutional.

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined . . . to be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce." - James Madison, Federalist 45

Not HC.




Should also be socially liberal, and an economic centrist. He should have Center-Left political views as well. Not willing to go to war unless national security is actually at stake. Does not ignite any class warfare by giving the wealthy tax cuts or by giving the poorer citizens more welfare. He should be dedicated in his duty to help the nation as a whole, even if that includes making some difficult but necessary choices. Should believe in our Free Enterprise system and Capitalism, but favor a limited degree of state intervention.

He should be consistent, willing to compromise (but not his principles), and should be candid with the American people. He should not take orders from any lobbyists.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:41:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 8:29:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined . . . to be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce." - James Madison, Federalist 45

Not HC.

If that were true, they would have stuck with the Articles of Confederation.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord