Jump to topic:

Sotomayor

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:02:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
She's doing what Obama and his advisors are telling her to do. She is just answering, "it depends on the specific case", which is smart.

She already has the confirmation in the bag and there is no need to risk it by answering questions about Abortion or Gun Rights, for example.

I don't think she is gunna be as bad as Ruth Ginsburg, but I think she will be Ginsburg-lite. She is a judicial activist, and she is a reverse-racist, which scares me.

BTW- Anyone catch Al Franken's riveting cross-examination? PERRY MASON HAHAHAHAHAH. Al Franken sure is a funny guy. ((sarcasm))
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:04:44 PM
She's a politician.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:09:09 PM
You people actually watch this nonsense? Why? She already answered every question you might have. All she can do now is unanswer them, which she'll do kindly for anyone dumb enough to listen.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
burnbird14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:09:33 PM
At 7/16/2009 9:04:44 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
She's a politician.

Well, duh! :P

No, but seriously, I believe she's doing the best she can with what she's got. The government's in pretty bad shape right now, and everybody's cracking down. I think she has a right to be ambiguous, because she'll probably get shot by somebody if she's biased.

Speaking of, "smart Latina"? Are you kidding me?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:16:27 PM
At 7/16/2009 9:09:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
You people actually watch this nonsense? Why? She already answered every question you might have. All she can do now is unanswer them, which she'll do kindly for anyone dumb enough to listen.

I watched it because:
1) I never watched a SCOTUS nomination before.
2) I wanted to see how poorly she would dodge the questions on her "Wise-latina" comment.
3) I thought it was funny to watch the Dem Senators almost in tears over this lady. Chuck Schumer had tears in his eyes.
4) I wanted to see the patheticness of Al Franken.

***Obviously, I did not watch the whole thing or even close to it. I just flicked it on at times.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 2:57:39 AM
I thought it went well for her. No screw-ups, and she had Republican senators praising her for her "mainstream" court rulings. Isn't this what these nominations and senate hearings are supposed to be about, anyways? Her rulings, not her personality?
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 10:24:24 PM
At 7/17/2009 2:57:39 AM, Volkov wrote:
I thought it went well for her. No screw-ups, and she had Republican senators praising her for her "mainstream" court rulings. Isn't this what these nominations and senate hearings are supposed to be about, anyways? Her rulings, not her personality?

Ideally, yes, but, as her personality sets the paradigm under which she will establish the foundation upon which she will rest her decisions, an evaluation of her personality is key to determining her judicial philosophy (and whether or not it is 'correct' based on each different person's interpretation of judicial activism).
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.