Jump to topic:

Supply and Demand

riyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:07:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This should probably have went into the economics slot but it just looks so abandoned that I will place it here for hopes of a better response.

Logical states that if supply goes down, then price will go up because of a scarcity. Assuming that demand stays constant.

However, the graph of supply and demand seems to say that as supply goes down, then price will also go down.

Which one of these is correct because I am very confused?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:11:43 AM
The supply demand graph states that as supply goes down, demand goes up. The distance from equilibrium represents the change of price. As price goes up, demand goes down at that price, and supply increases (as more can compete at that price), so price goes down. Or the opposite: as price goes down, supply goes down (as less can compete at that price), and demand goes up, so the price increases.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:44:21 AM
At 4/11/2012 10:11:43 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
The supply demand graph states that as supply goes down, demand goes up. The distance from equilibrium represents the change of price. As price goes up, demand goes down at that price, and supply increases (as more can compete at that price), so price goes down. Or the opposite: as price goes down, supply goes down (as less can compete at that price), and demand goes up, so the price increases.

So basically the graph has no relation to

Supply----->Price

or Demand------>Price.

Instead it only relates to

Price------->Supply and demand

Am I correct?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:45:02 AM
This question was rather annoying for me also.

I hated the Supply and Demand thing.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:46:06 AM
At 4/11/2012 10:07:21 AM, riyo wrote:
This should probably have went into the economics slot but it just looks so abandoned that I will place it here for hopes of a better response.

Logical states that if supply goes down, then price will go up because of a scarcity. Assuming that demand stays constant.

However, the graph of supply and demand seems to say that as supply goes down, then price will also go down.

No, you have it backwards. The Supply and Demand chart shows buyers and sellers reaction to different prices. At high prices, the top of the chart, there are few buyers and many sellers, at low prices, the bottom of the chart, there are many buyers but few sellers. The point where the number of sellers, or rather the number of goods sold, equals the number of buyers, or the number of goods demand at that price, is the intersection of the two curves.

If there is a negative supply shock, the supply curve shifts to the left, which signifies a higher equilibrium price.

http://edu.glogster.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:49:10 AM
At 4/11/2012 10:11:43 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

No. That's not what is states at all. Especially your bit about "distance from equilibrium." An equilibrium price is necessarily in equilibrium and so has a distance of 0 from equilibrium.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 12:43:50 PM

If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and lower quantity.
If supply increases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity.

Both supply and demand determines the price.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 3:49:40 PM
At 4/11/2012 12:43:50 PM, DanT wrote:

If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and lower quantity.
If supply increases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to lower equilibrium price and higher quantity.
If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity.

You sure those are correct?

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:03:23 PM
At 4/11/2012 3:49:40 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

sorry, thanx for correcting me. That was a typo.

The higher the demand the higher the price, the lower the quantity
The lower the demand the lower the price, the higher the quantity
http://i.investopedia.com...
The higher the supply the higher the equilibrium
The lower the supply the lower the equilibrium
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:04:00 PM

Definitely not. Imagine when one shifts, it shifts along the stationary curve.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:05:00 PM
At 4/11/2012 4:03:23 PM, DanT wrote:

sorry, thanx for correcting me. That was a typo.

The higher the demand the higher the price, the lower the quantity
The lower the demand the lower the price, the higher the quantity
The higher the supply the higher the equilibrium
The lower the supply the lower the equilibrium

It was a typo, sometimes I get a word stuck in my head, and it messes up my typing.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:06:37 PM
At 4/11/2012 4:04:00 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Lol. Made the same mistake as Dan
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:57:29 PM
At 4/11/2012 4:06:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Lol. Made the same mistake as Dan

No I made a typo. Look back at my previous posts. I got it right in a different thread. In this thread I had a typo.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 4:58:46 PM

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 7:16:05 PM
An decrease in the supply means the supply curve shifts left, pushing the equilibrium price higher.

So, decreased supply = increased price.

Start video at 3:30
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 7:29:52 PM
At 4/11/2012 11:46:06 AM, Reasoning wrote:

No, you have it backwards. The Supply and Demand chart shows buyers and sellers reaction to different prices. At high prices, the top of the chart, there are few buyers and many sellers, at low prices, the bottom of the chart, there are many buyers but few sellers. The point where the number of sellers, or rather the number of goods sold, equals the number of buyers, or the number of goods demand at that price, is the intersection of the two curves.

If there is a negative supply shock, the supply curve shifts to the left, which signifies a higher equilibrium price.

http://edu.glogster.com...

This says it the best. The equilibrium point is where the Supply and demand curves meet.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan