Jump to topic:

Equal Opportunity - Misunerstanding

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:54:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many people on both sides of the isle think Equal Opportunity refers to quotas. They believe equal opportunity can only be achieved if minorities are hired over people in the majority, in order to make demographics more balanced.

This idea of demographic quotas contradicts the concept of equal opportunity. Equal opportunity refers to an equal chance at getting hired, not an equal number of people hired for each demographic.

according to the demographic quota idea, if 50% of the people applying for college is white, 30% is Black, and 20% is Asian, than a 50% of those enrolled should be white, 30% should be Black, and 20% should be Asian.

according to equal opportunity if 1,000 people applied for college, 50% of which were white, 30% black, and 20% Asian, and only 100 students can be accepted, than Whites have a 10% chance of acceptance, Blacks have a 10% chance of acceptance, and Asians have a 10% chance of acceptance; the demographics of the people accepted are based on ability, not race. If 50 Asians, 30 white, and 20 blacks had a 4.0 GPA, and everyone else had a GPA of 3 or less, than 50% of of those enrolled would be Asian, 30% white, and 20% black; as opposed to the demographics of those who applied, which was 50% White, 30% Black, and 20% Asian.

It annoys me when people claim racial quotas are needed for equal opportunity, because racial quotas contradict equal opportunity.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 1:04:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree. I used to be a retail store manager. I had a summer youth program give me 40 kids (16 & 17) for 6 weeks to help out. At the end of the program I had room to hire 8 of them, so naturally I chose the best 8 candidates based on their productivity during that period. But on the first day of orientation I found that the orientation video was missing, and I could only find the spanish version... It wasn't till that point that I realized all 8 of them were hispanic.

Since I am hispanic as well I don't think that looked very good. Yet imagine one of these equality groups looking at this...