Jump to topic:

Why Are We For Romney?

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:17:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This thread is not for debating or arguing.

Don't contest other people's points. (If you want to argue for Obama, go to the Why Are We For Obama thread.)

Just state your case: Why are you for Romney?

Clarity and brevity are good: cogency. Make a sound bite.

Or go longer if you have a lot of information.

I'm not for Romney, myself (I'll be posting in the other thread) but I'll be interested in what people have to say here. I'm tired of thinking Republicans are just evil, so, stay positive and let me know what would be good about a Romney presidency.

And let other Romney fans see how to articulate his appeal.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:20:12 PM
Because Obama is the single worst president we've ever had. He's never led anything in his life and he has proven it time and time again. He surrounded himself with some of the most incompetent people in Washington and has poorly represented the United States abroad. The economy has improved negligibly under him. He has done nothing to improve this country and I think that 4 more years with him will be dangerous.

No one can be as bad as Obama.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:24:56 PM
At 4/26/2012 9:20:12 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Because Bush is the single worst president we've ever had. He's never led anything in his life and he has proven it time and time again. He surrounded himself with some of the most incompetent people in Washington and has poorly represented the United States abroad. The economy has improved negligibly under him. He has done nothing to improve this country and I think that 4 more years with him will be dangerous.

No one can be as bad as Bush

CP i respect you to no end, I just want to point out the humor that by replacing two words this whole thing can fit the bill with Bush. I respect your opinion and Im only trying to troll
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:26:28 PM
At 4/26/2012 9:24:56 PM, imabench wrote:
Because Bush is the single worst president we've ever had. He's never led anything in his life and he has proven it time and time again. He surrounded himself with some of the most incompetent people in Washington and has poorly represented the United States abroad. The economy has improved negligibly under him. He has done nothing to improve this country and I think that 4 more years with him will be dangerous.

CP i respect you to no end, I just want to point out the humor that by replacing two words this whole thing can fit the bill with Bush. I respect your opinion and Im only trying to troll

Just goes to show how little there is in difference of them, huh?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:29:07 PM
At 4/26/2012 9:26:28 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Just goes to show how little there is in difference of them, huh?

It's a sad reflection on America's politics.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:31:07 PM
Because Romney is a second Bush, and Bush is my homeboy
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:53:31 PM

Funny, bush has same economic policies as obama
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:16:15 PM
My reasons for supporting Mitt Romney are simple. First, he is committed to economic freedom while Obama is committed to attacking economic freedom.

Romney is committed to keeping taxes and regulations reasonable and low while Obama wants to expand these things.

On national defense, Romney wants to strengthen America while Obama wants to weaken.

On personal qualities, Romney is a pragmatic businessman while Obama is a formerly radical community organizer.

Seems quite obvious to me.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:24:30 PM

CP, this thead is supposed to be for your support for Romney.

SO, I can tell of these two choices:

1) Obama needs to be defeated.
2) Romney needs to win.

You choose #1, but don't sound that excited about it.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 12:13:31 AM
At 4/26/2012 10:24:30 PM, Contra wrote:

CP, this thead is supposed to be for your support for Romney.

SO, I can tell of these two choices:

1) Obama needs to be defeated.
2) Romney needs to win.

You choose #1, but don't sound that excited about it.

Well yes, right now my utter contempt for Obama is outweighed by my excitement for Romney. However, I've been a Mitt supporter for quite awhile (a few months) so the excitement isn't all that new.

I think that Romney has a serious shot at winning and leading much better than the current president. He'll be a moderate, get the job done kind of president I think.

@imabench

No worries, I'm Con GW Bush too if you check my profile. His policies weren't Republican or Conservative in the slightest (at least not towards the end). I think our government has been rotten for years now. Reagan was the last truly great president we've had lately.
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 12:18:45 AM
Yes, Ronald Reagan would be the model president.

He was the last president to truly champion the principles of American exceptionalism and economic freedom.

I think Mitt Romney would be superior to not only Barack Obama but also George Bush Jr and Sr. He seems to be more committed to both principles, although not to the extent or with the charisma of Ronald Reagan.

Reagan understood economic principles. I believe Romney has a pretty good grasp on them as well.

So, no, I am not thrilled about Romney. However, I do believe that he will be vastly superior to Barack Obama and even most Republicans.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 12:53:33 AM
As many others said before, Romney is not an ideal candidate. He leaves a lot to be desired and quite frankly, I'd rather have a person like Ron Paul as President.

However, Romney is infinitely better than Obama. At least Romney promised to his constituency to stop anti-businesses rhetoric and implement effective economic free market type measures.

In essence, it's whether I would pick a 2 (Obama) or a 6 (Romney) on a 1-10 scale.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 1:29:32 AM
Because Obama is the single worst president we've ever had. He's never led anything in his life and he has proven it time and time again. He surrounded himself with some of the most incompetent people in Washington and has poorly represented the United States abroad. The economy has improved negligibly under him. He has done nothing to improve this country and I think that 4 more years with him will be dangerous.

FDR
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:51:19 AM
At 4/27/2012 1:29:32 AM, lewis20 wrote:

FDR

Hmm.....that is true.

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 8:43:54 AM
At 4/27/2012 12:18:45 AM, Ameriman wrote:

He was the last president to truly champion the principles of American exceptionalism
Lol. What American exceptionalism? I can think of no positive "exceptional" traits of American government (or people for that matter, but atleast the American people have positive traits, even if they aren't all that exceptional)

and economic freedom.

Actually false. He was better than many be he most certainly was not as free-market as the story is told (he supported protectionism, was worse at cutting government expenditure than Ford and Carter - and even increased government spending, he tripled the gross federal debt, increased petrol taxes, and slowed down/stopped many deregulations started by Carter)

Reagan wasn't a good president.
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:18:03 AM
At 4/27/2012 8:43:54 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

He was the last president to truly champion the principles of American exceptionalism
Lol. What American exceptionalism? I can think of no positive "exceptional" traits of American government (or people for that matter, but atleast the American people have positive traits, even if they aren't all that exceptional)

and economic freedom.

Actually false. He was better than many be he most certainly was not as free-market as the story is told (he supported protectionism, was worse at cutting government expenditure than Ford and Carter - and even increased government spending, he tripled the gross federal debt, increased petrol taxes, and slowed down/stopped many deregulations started by Carter)

American exceptionalism is about the supremacy of the values that America was founded upon. Those values are economic freedom, hard work, a faith in God, and personal responsibility among others. Of course there have been blips along the way. But, taken as a whole, America has been an overwhelming force of good in the world and the model has worked in an, if you will, exceptional, way.

As far as Ronald Reagan goes, it is hard to argue that he was not for substantially more economic freedom. Look at marginal tax rates. The top marginal tax rate fell from 70% to 28% while he was president. Look at inflation, he, unlike Carter, Ford, and Nixon, recognized that inflation was a monetary phenomenon. So, he allowed Volcker to slow the money supply growth which caused short term harm to the economy but was good for the long term.

As far as spending goes, he actually was very good at controlling domestic spending. However, he did increase the size of the military and interest on the debt went up. I personally believe that the military build up was a good thing, but that is a matter of debate. On deregulation, it is hard to argue that Reagan was not a deregulator. Reagan ended oil price controls and deregulated finance, the environment, agricutlure, transportation.

He also was the only president since the creation of the minimum wage not to raise it.
-Paul Ryan
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:19:32 AM

Eh, your still bitter we whopped your butts when your military was 10X better than ours. :D

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:23:05 AM
Reagan wasn't a good president.:

A more preferable outcome would have been if Barry Goldwater beat him.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:34:36 AM
How could anyone support Romney you would agree with him an then next month he will be saying something completely contradictory to what would have won you over in the first place. he is a lobbyist puppet and completely incompetent when it comes to the constitution.
Slimy yet satisfying"
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 11:20:02 AM
At 4/26/2012 9:20:54 PM, Koopin wrote:
Romney dropped out earlier today!

I don't believe you
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:22:57 PM
At 4/27/2012 9:18:03 AM, Ameriman wrote:

and economic freedom.

American exceptionalism is about the supremacy of the values that America was founded upon. Those values are economic freedom

Lol. Not unique, and America isn't a great example of it.

hard work,

Not unique, and America isn't a great example of it.

a faith in God,

and personal responsibility among others.

Of course there have been blips along the way. But, taken as a whole, America has been an overwhelming force of good in the world and the model has worked in an, if you will, exceptional, way.

On balance, the US government has been one of the greater forces of evil (whether intentional or not) over the last 30 odd years. The British government probably comes as a close second for doing nearly everything the american government does, but on a smaller scale.

As far as Ronald Reagan goes, it is hard to argue that he was not for substantially more economic freedom. Look at marginal tax rates. The top marginal tax rate fell from 70% to 28% while he was president. Look at inflation, he, unlike Carter, Ford, and Nixon, recognized that inflation was a monetary phenomenon. So, he allowed Volcker to slow the money supply growth which caused short term harm to the economy but was good for the long term.

He had a few free market moments, but that does not make him a supporter of free -markets considering the vast amount of non-freemarket stuff he did.

As far as spending goes, he actually was very good at controlling domestic spending. However, he did increase the size of the military and interest on the debt went up. I personally believe that the military build up was a good thing, but that is a matter of debate. On deregulation, it is hard to argue that Reagan was not a deregulator. Reagan ended oil price controls and deregulated finance, the environment, agricutlure, transportation.

See above. He halted many deregulatory processes in the name of partisan politics.

He also was the only president since the creation of the minimum wage not to raise it.

Big woop. He could have abolished it.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:45:51 PM

and economic freedom.

American exceptionalism is about the supremacy of the values that America was founded upon. Those values are economic freedom, hard work, a faith in God, and personal responsibility among others. Of course there have been blips along the way. But, taken as a whole, America has been an overwhelming force of good in the world and the model has worked in an, if you will, exceptional, way.

American exceptionalism is another word for propaganda, but of course only the other falls prey to propaganda...

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:50:54 PM
Please don't get me wrong; I love the American people. There are many great things I have to say about you guys, even if none of them are unique to you guys - but the only adjective I could put after the word "exceptionally" when describing the American government is bad.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:51:55 PM
At 4/27/2012 4:50:54 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Please don't get me wrong; I love the American people. There are many great things I have to say about you guys, even if none of them are unique to you guys - but the only adjective I could put after the word "exceptionally" when describing the American government is bad.

(Naturally only because of the scale of the american government - my government makes the same bad choices - they just have less impact because we have less power)
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:53:03 PM
At 4/27/2012 4:45:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

and economic freedom.

American exceptionalism is another word for propaganda, but of course only the other falls prey to propaganda...

How do you define propaganda?
-Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:54:44 PM
George Bush was a neoconservative. The "Clear Air Act", "Healthy Forests Act" (better called No tree left behind), the standardized testing, the huge tax cuts, unilateralism, higher defense spending, and less regulation (in housing sector) are all traits of neocons.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:56:18 PM
At 4/27/2012 4:54:44 PM, Contra wrote:
George Bush was a neoconservative. The "Clear Air Act", "Healthy Forests Act" (better called No tree left behind), the standardized testing, the huge tax cuts, unilateralism, higher defense spending, and less regulation (in housing sector) are all traits of neocons.

Did George Bush get rid of any regulations?

Or, is that just a talking point from President Obama that you are blindly repeating?
-Paul Ryan
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:56:34 PM
At 4/27/2012 4:53:03 PM, Ameriman wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:45:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

and economic freedom.

How do you define propaganda?

With a dictionary.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:59:21 PM
At 4/27/2012 4:56:18 PM, Ameriman wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:54:44 PM, Contra wrote:

Did George Bush get rid of any regulations?

Or, is that just a talking point from President Obama that you are blindly repeating?

Bush appointed Bernanke Fed Chairman, which was as bad for the economy as anything.