Ban Gay Marriages

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 1:41:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/1/2012 1:37:53 AM, Pboy21 wrote:
i be on the con by which saying ban all gay rights any suggestions feel free to post

lol
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 1:51:35 AM
Respond to all the arguments I put in my debate. Also, I don't care about your religion.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 9:53:14 AM
At 5/1/2012 1:53:01 AM, Koopin wrote:
What about the right to life?

How does that violate the right to life?

It's not the government's role to intervene in religious matters. The role of the government is to protect the life, liberty, and property of it's citizens; the government has no other role. The government only serves the citizens who they represent, and their only role is to protect the rights of the citizens.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:12:29 AM
At 5/1/2012 9:53:14 AM, DanT wrote:

It's not the government's role to intervene in religious matters. The role of the government is to protect the life, liberty, and property of it's citizens; the government has no other role. The government only serves the citizens who they represent, and their only role is to protect the rights of the citizens.

Barring the right to life on thing, you already say government needs to protect liberty. *coughcough*
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:52:45 AM
At 5/1/2012 1:51:35 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Respond to all the arguments I put in my debate. Also, I don't care about your religion.

Lol. Gotta love being a Christian and agreeing with gay marriage :D
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:20:26 AM
Lol, gay rights isn't the issue in the gay marriage debate.

It's whether or not all men have the right to marry men and if all women have the right to marry women.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:23:30 AM

Yeah, I think that this is the most powerful justification for not banning homosexual marriages. The state cannot ban anything unless it has a compelling reason to (i.e. it violates the rights of others).
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:23:59 AM
At 5/1/2012 11:12:29 AM, M.Torres wrote:

Barring the right to life on thing, you already say government needs to protect liberty. *coughcough*

It does not violate the right to life, it does violate the right to liberty. As I already pointed out, the government should not interfere in religious matters, as it violates the right to liberty; this includes marriage.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:27:00 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:23:59 AM, DanT wrote:

It does not violate the right to life, it does violate the right to liberty. As I already pointed out, the government should not interfere in religious matters, as it violates the right to liberty; this includes marriage.

Prohibiting Gay Marriage, as well as sanctioning them, both violates the right to Liberty; the government's only logical position should be neutral.
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:28:28 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:23:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yeah, I think that this is the most powerful justification for not banning homosexual marriages. The state cannot ban anything unless it has a compelling reason to (i.e. it violates the rights of others).

Yup, banning multi-millionaire executives from recieving unemployment is totally unjustified. It's also unjustified for the state to fund specific sex organizations (girlsscouts, boy scouts) or any organization that treats men and women even slightly differently by definition.

Absurd, discretion comes before equality.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:28:29 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:27:00 AM, DanT wrote:

Prohibiting Gay Marriage, as well as sanctioning them, both violates the right to Liberty; the government's only logical position should be neutral.

How does sanctioning any relationship violate liberty?
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:35:06 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:28:29 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I'd imagine it would violate the county clerk who gives out the marriage license's liberty to refuse to grant licenses to homosexual couple, but Dan probably has a better example.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:36:25 AM

Not sanctioning a relationship, sanctioning a religious act. There is a reason for separation of church and state.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:40:59 AM
It should be up to the individual churches to decide. The government should have no say in marriage. They should not deal in divorces, as marriage is a religious pact, not a legal one. They should not hand out marriage licenses either.
As for filing jointly, that is BS; a couple who does not believe in marriage should be able to file jointly as well, but they don't have a piece of paper calling them a couple.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:42:50 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:35:06 AM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

I'd imagine it would violate the county clerk who gives out the marriage license's liberty to refuse to grant licenses to homosexual couple, but Dan probably has a better example.

It violates religious liberty
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:44:12 AM

It's not that straight forward. Liberty is a very difficult concept to appropriately handle, like what if private businesses just decided not to serve blacks like was done in the 60s and earlier? Do you interfere with the business through civil rights legislation to preserve liberty or do you not interfere to preserve liberty? It's a complex philosophical concept. Not everyone conceives as just the absence of government interference.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:47:28 AM

The county clerk does not have a right to refuse people that license. He is an employee of the government and must follow the instructions of his employer. That goes for any business.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:48:06 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:28:28 AM, LibertyCampbell wrote:
At 5/4/2012 9:23:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yup, banning multi-millionaire executives from recieving unemployment is totally unjustified. It's also unjustified for the state to fund specific sex organizations (girlsscouts, boy scouts) or any organization that treats men and women even slightly differently by definition.

Absurd, discretion comes before equality.

I am talking about the right to liberty, not the right to equality. What does this have to do with that? Nothing.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:55:56 AM
At 5/4/2012 9:42:50 AM, DanT wrote:

Marriage is a social institution.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:05:49 PM
The violation of religious liberty: stating a religion has no right to let gay men or women get married to one another.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:18:31 PM
At 5/4/2012 12:05:49 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
The violation of religious liberty: stating a religion has no right to let gay men or women get married to one another.

True; once again, I agree with you there. It is also a violation of religious liberty to require a church to preform a marriage they believe is against their religion.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:21:54 PM
At 5/4/2012 10:55:56 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Marriage is a religious institution. Weddings are religious ceremonies, in which two people become married.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:31:30 PM
At 5/4/2012 5:21:54 PM, DanT wrote:

Marriage is a religious institution. Weddings are religious ceremonies, in which two people become married.

Marriage is a social institution in which the sexual relationship between two individuals is formalized by society. It so happens that in some societies it had religious elements.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:34:55 PM
At 5/4/2012 10:44:12 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

It's not that straight forward. Liberty is a very difficult concept to appropriately handle, like what if private businesses just decided not to serve blacks like was done in the 60s and earlier? Do you interfere with the business through civil rights legislation to preserve liberty or do you not interfere to preserve liberty?

Business owners have a right to refuse service. Intervening would violate the business owner's liberty. The customer could simply go to a competing business; the business owner is only hurting himself.

Liberty means freedom. By requiring the business owner do business, we are restricting their freedom.
I can't stand racism, and bigotry, but just because someone is a bigot does not mean he should be denied his rights.

No liberty is being violated on the side of the customer, because the customer has the freedom to do business with someone else.

It's a complex philosophical concept. Not everyone conceives as just the absence of government interference.

The government serves the entire community; if the government can only preserve liberty of one group of people, by denying the liberty of another group of people, than the government should take a neutral stance.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:44:39 PM
At 5/4/2012 5:18:31 PM, DanT wrote:
At 5/4/2012 12:05:49 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

True; once again, I agree with you there. It is also a violation of religious liberty to require a church to preform a marriage they believe is against their religion.

Would this mean that you agree that the state banning a religious marriage as a marriage is unfounded?

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:44:47 PM
Business owners have a right to refuse service.

Why?

Intervening would violate the business owner's liberty. The customer could simply go to a competing business; the business owner is only hurting himself.

And not intervening could be considered as a violation the consumer's liberty. Sure, if the competition is next door is no big deal but if it's widely prevalent or the businesses are far apart that consumer's ability to thrive is severely hampered.

No liberty is being violated on the side of the customer, because the customer has the freedom to do business with someone else.

Businesses are basically the sole suppliers of certain crucial goods.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:58:54 PM
At 5/4/2012 5:31:30 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/4/2012 5:21:54 PM, DanT wrote:

Marriage is a social institution in which the sexual relationship between two individuals is formalized by society. It so happens that in some societies it had religious elements.

Actually, it just so happens that marriage originated as a religious institution and was adopted by the State.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."