Jump to topic:

Obama and Oil

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 5:47:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The GOP said that Obama was responsible for the increase in oil prices, so now that prices are down over 30 cents a gallon over the past couple weeks, where is the GOP's compliments? Ignorant hyprocrites.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 5:49:11 PM
So you sh!t in the well and when half of the sh!t is cleaned out, you want us to congratulate you?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 5:58:06 PM
At 5/7/2012 5:47:58 PM, Contra wrote:
The GOP said that Obama was responsible for the increase in oil prices, so now that prices are down over 30 cents a gallon over the past couple weeks, where is the GOP's compliments? Ignorant hyprocrites.

Are you talking about gas prices or the price for a barrel of oil? And from what I read, gas prices are down ten cents a gallon on average but still relatively high.

Even so, no one has adequately explained to me how the President is responsible for the price of oil. But your ignorance both worries me and annoys me. Democrats did the same thing when Bush was in office. Did you complain then?

Also, I'm just going to put this out there. You rightfully call out the Republicans on some of their bullsh!t but at the same time, you ignore that fact the Democrats are also guiltly of the same bullsh!t.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 5:59:12 PM
No nation has power over the way the oil price is set globally. This is just a political game filled with buzzwords like "gouge" and "deregulation"
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:05:09 PM
At 5/7/2012 5:58:06 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Are you talking about gas prices or the price for a barrel of oil? And from what I read, gas prices are down ten cents a gallon on average but still relatively high.

The price per gallon was down I believe almost $10 a barrel over the past week/ couple weeks.

Even so, no one has adequately explained to me how the President is responsible for the price of oil. But your ignorance both worries me and annoys me. Democrats did the same thing when Bush was in office. Did you complain then?

Yes, gas was about $4.40

Still, the Republican mainstream has thought that the President controls oil prices. This is bs. My question was a rhetorical one using Republican logic (or at least the logic I have heard).

Also, I'm just going to put this out there. You rightfully call out the Republicans on some of their bullsh!t but at the same time, you ignore that fact the Democrats are also guiltly of the same bullsh!t.

I guess
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:05:25 PM

If Obama would drill in the Atlantic, pass the Keystone Pipline and drill in the ANWR...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:12:40 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:05:25 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

If Obama would drill in the Atlantic, pass the Keystone Pipline and drill in the ANWR...

It would take about 15 or more years to produce oil at the highest productivity at ANWR, and at top production would produce an estimated 1.5 million barrels of oil daily, compared to the national usage of over 19 million barrels. It would only reduce our foreign oil usage by a small percentage, when during that time we could develop more alternative energy sources.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:13:51 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:12:40 PM, Contra wrote:

It would take about 15 or more years to produce oil at the highest productivity at ANWR, and at top production would produce an estimated 1.5 million barrels of oil daily, compared to the national usage of over 19 million barrels. It would only reduce our foreign oil usage by a small percentage, when during that time we could develop more alternative energy sources.

Do you have any source for this data? Just curious where you getting these numbers from.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:16:56 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:13:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Do you have any source for this data? Just curious where you getting these numbers from.

Ted Nordhaus and Michael Shellenberger, "The Death of Environmentalism," Grist.org, January 13 2005.

^

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:27:03 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:16:56 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/7/2012 6:13:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Ted Nordhaus and Michael Shellenberger, "The Death of Environmentalism," Grist.org, January 13 2005.

^

http://grist.org...

This it. Couldn't find anything.
Open borders debate:
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:36:12 PM

Over the last 3 years gases prices have risen by $1.63 per dollar. Over the last 3 months gas prices have risen by $0.32

Unless you are looking at the last month $0.15 decrease over the last month, I don't see how you can claim a gas prices have decreased. Frankly 1 month is too short to measure progress of the gas industry.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:36:37 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:36:12 PM, DanT wrote:

Over the last 3 years gases prices have risen by $1.63 per dollar. Over the last 3 months gas prices have risen by $0.32

Unless you are looking at the last month $0.15 decrease over the last month, I don't see how you can claim a gas prices have decreased. Frankly 1 month is too short to measure progress of the gas industry.

source: http://gasbuddy.com...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:36:58 PM
This is a common tactic. The Democrats blamed Bush for oil prices, and Republicans were quick to say every reason the President is not to blame. Now it's just a matter of swapping words. Democrats with Repubs, Bush with Obama, and Dems with Repubs. Politics is such bs.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:38:11 PM

Really? Because.. correct me if I'm wrong... Wasn't gas $1.95 a gallon when your dear leader took office?

And now they're... $3.70?

Sorry if I don't bow down and worship Obama like you for the $1.75 increase per gallon.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:43:37 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:38:11 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Really? Because.. correct me if I'm wrong... Wasn't gas $1.95 a gallon when your dear leader took office?

Sorry if I don't bow down and worship Obama like you for the $1.75 increase per gallon.

This is the point, dude. You can't say a $1.75 increase in oil is due to Obama. o.O

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:44:52 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:43:37 PM, M.Torres wrote:

This is the point, dude. You can't say a $1.75 increase in oil is due to Obama. o.O

Really? They said the increase in the last term of Bush was his fault. Now it's my turn.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:45:24 PM

Truth is the president takes the blame for everything that happens on his watch. I'm not going easy on Obama, this is how all presidents have it.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:47:19 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:44:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Really? They said the increase in the last term of Bush was his fault. Now it's my turn.

STILL THE POINT I WAS SAYING ABOVE. lol

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:47:57 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:45:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Truth is the president takes the blame for everything that happens on his watch. I'm not going easy on Obama, this is how all presidents have it.

And this supports the truthfulness of your argument, surely.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:49:24 PM
At 5/7/2012 5:59:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
No nation has power over the way the oil price is set globally. This is just a political game filled with buzzwords like "gouge" and "deregulation"

Youre right. David Rockefeller has the power over oil.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:56:09 PM

This is what happens when you attempt to blame someone or something for an event they had no power over. When the opposite suddenly happens you just look like a complete snob blaming them for the cause, then avoiding the praise when it reverses.

And no I don't consider Obama my Dear Leader. He has fell short in many areas.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:56:54 PM
Besides, Bush's war in Iraq raised demand for oil, causing a spike in prices.

Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:58:32 PM
At 5/7/2012 5:49:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
So you sh!t in the well and when half of the sh!t is cleaned out, you want us to congratulate you?
Please explain how Obama "sh!t" in the well? This should be good...
Sapere Aude!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:58:58 PM
As long as we continue to have a scapegoat-in-chief, nothing positive will ever evolve with this country for the future, no matter what your political ideology is.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 7:02:25 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:56:54 PM, Contra wrote:

And Obama's moratorium on Gulf oil drilling, rejection of the Keystone Pipeline and threats to raise taxes on oil companies have caused a huge blow to supply.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 7:05:41 PM
At 5/7/2012 7:02:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/7/2012 6:56:54 PM, Contra wrote:

And Obama's moratorium on Gulf oil drilling, rejection of the Keystone Pipeline and threats to raise taxes on oil companies have caused a huge blow to supply.

I think I've stated before that the increase in demand for oil from the war was something ridiculously low, lower than 1% for the domestic demand. And of course oil prices are based on world demand, in which US is only 33%, so less than .33% increase in demand from the gulf wars.
Open borders debate:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 7:06:13 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:47:19 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 5/7/2012 6:44:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

STILL THE POINT I WAS SAYING ABOVE. lol

Obamas policies directly have reduced the supply of oil by denying gulf drilling, keystone pipeline, and raising taxes on oil companies.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 7:06:54 PM

If we drilled for our own oil, wouldn't that eliminate our dependence on foreign oil? Also, any source on that data? And plus, the ANWR is just one place. There's also the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, the Keystone XL Pipeline, the 48 states (like North Dakota), and countless other place. Any date for them?
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 7:06:55 PM
At 5/7/2012 6:58:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
As long as we continue to have a scapegoat-in-chief, nothing positive will ever evolve with this country for the future, no matter what your political ideology is.

Thank you!