Jump to topic:

We Retired Lugar

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 12:41:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here in Indiana I voted for Mourdock and he beat out longest serving Republican Senator Dick Lugar. Makes you feel like your vote mattered.
Yet while I watch the news, they act like it's a universal truth that the wrong guy won. Both the left and the right establishment agree that they lost a great senator.
Makes it crazy clear that it's not right vs left, its establishment vs everyone else.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 12:47:25 PM
I agree that there is a strong establishment presence in Washington.

Luger was an idiot. He was a soppy Republican who didn't even vote Republican most of the time. I'm glad he's gone.

He's a great example of why we need term limits...

Glad a Tea Partier got nominated.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 12:51:07 PM
@CP: Why is voting along party lines an important issue? I would think that would just crate more stagnation in Congress, which is something that the nation desperately DOES NOT need.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 12:58:30 PM
I don't care about voting along party lines, but Lugar voted for the NDAA and the patriot act. As well as against an amendment to prohibit indefinite detention of American citizens. That is enough for me to give any senator the boot.

Perseus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 1:00:43 PM
At 5/9/2012 12:58:30 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I don't care about voting along party lines, but Lugar voted for the NDAA and the patriot act. As well as against an amendment to prohibit indefinite detention of American citizens. That is enough for me to give any senator the boot.

This
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 1:23:57 PM
At 5/9/2012 12:58:30 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I don't care about voting along party lines, but Lugar voted for the NDAA

Yeah, agreed. Taking the human right to freedom of information is a terrible thing, and it's good that he's gone if he tried to push this idiotic bill forwards.

and the patriot act.

And the human right for being able to express opinion is essential: good to see that this man is out of power.

As well as against an amendment to prohibit indefinite detention of American

...wtf?

citizens. That is enough for me to give any senator the boot.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Perseus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 1:29:30 PM
It saddens me that most of the people in our country who defend freedom are Tea Party Activists. I do not like them, but I would vote for them over any Democrat or Republican.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:47:50 PM
At 5/9/2012 1:29:30 PM, Perseus wrote:
It saddens me that most of the people in our country who defend freedom are Tea Party Activists. I do not like them, but I would vote for them over any Democrat or Republican.

You have your facts messed up. Tea Party Activists were a grassroots movement that was hijacked by plutocrats.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 3:53:55 PM
At 5/9/2012 2:47:50 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/9/2012 1:29:30 PM, Perseus wrote:

You have your facts messed up. Tea Party Activists were a grassroots movement that was hijacked by plutocrats.

I promise the plutocrats were rooting for Lugar over Mourdock.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:02:00 PM
The Party establishment wants to win elections as top priority. In Congress, the majority sets the agenda, decides what hearing to hold, and chooses what is bought to vote. They think it is better to have a majority with internal differences than to be a minority that is ideologically pure, but has no power to affect outcomes.

That type of thinking doesn't impress purists, who would rather see the country go down the drain if it enables to smugly proclaim they had no part of it.

I guess I'm moving towards the purist viewpoint, at least more than was. I doubt if the country can withstand an another Obama term, or compromises that pit 4% government growth against 10% growth and settle in the middle. Still, going with a highly principled sure loser would be too much.

The Lugar upset disproves the notion that the two party system leaves no room for new political movements.