Jump to topic:

Emotional IQ

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 3:57:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"The term Emotional Intelligence was coined by Peter Salovey and John Mayor to describe what was missing in the intellectual make up of a well known politician whose antics caused them to wonder how someone 'so smart could be so dumb'". ~ Dr. Shari Robertson PHD, Indiana University at PA

Here is an Emotional IQ test; What percentage did you get?

http://www.queendom.com...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:26:38 PM
How can you test emotional IQ when most of the questions are asking you to self-assess?

It would be like taking an IQ test with one of the questions being:
"Do you consider yourself smart?"
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 4:45:48 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:26:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
How can you test emotional IQ when most of the questions are asking you to self-assess?

It gives you scenarios after asking a set of redundant questions to establish a baseline.

It tests how you would give advice versus act on your own advice.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:03:56 PM
At 5/9/2012 4:45:48 PM, Wnope wrote:

It gives you scenarios after asking a set of redundant questions to establish a baseline.

Well never got to that part. I was at 70+ questions and they were still asking self-assessment questions, which makes me figure they count for quite a bit.

I would think a real Emotional IQ test would ask one to recognize body language and facial expressions.
Open borders debate:
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:06:16 PM
At 5/9/2012 5:03:56 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Well never got to that part. I was at 70+ questions and they were still asking self-assessment questions, which makes me figure they count for quite a bit.

I would think a real Emotional IQ test would ask one to recognize body language and facial expressions.

Heh, it does. You just have to get through the first 90 questions.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:08:11 PM
At 5/9/2012 5:06:16 PM, Wnope wrote:

Fair enough, and not worth filling out the first 90 questions.

I'm just saying a lot of the test is based on self-assessment, which makes the results inaccurate.
Open borders debate:
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:10:01 PM
At 5/9/2012 5:08:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I'm just saying a lot of the test is based on self-assessment, which makes the results inaccurate.

It does take a modicum of self-honesty. There is some built-in redundancy to catch bad liars, but that's about it.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:14:08 PM
At 5/9/2012 5:10:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

It does take a modicum of self-honesty. There is some built-in redundancy to catch bad liars, but that's about it.

Well not necessarily whether one is honest or not, but the way people actually perceive themselves. Remember its not a lie If you believe it is true.

The idea of self-assessing one's own EQ to come up with an EQ is kind of circular logic. If you can self-assess yourself using these questions, you can probably come up with a reasonable prediction of your EQ results, assuming its standardized.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:16:19 PM
It's much more precise to measure one's mathematical/logical IQ, because a wrong answer is easily detected. Not so much on tests like this, but if one is certain that he answers correctly, then it's all good.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:17:19 PM

Emotional intelligence can be divided into 4 groups
1.) Self-Awareness
2.) Self-Management
3.) Social Awareness
4.) Relationship Management
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:23:24 PM
146 questions? That's a lot, but I'll take it.

Regardless, I know that I'm not lacking in the EQ department. That's not something that bothers me, because it's something I had to work really hard on improving. The importance of learning how to address meta-issues like *why* people are saying the things they say, how fleeting emotions and instinct dictate how people act much more than logic, how to defuse situations and appease others to get something you want, and most of all, how to maintain longstanding relationships with friends and loved ones by feeling free to talk about the relationship itself, is something that can't be overstated.

These are the types of things that separate managers from employees, successful people from unsuccessful people, and happily married couples from bitter and despondent ones.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 5:24:32 PM
Ugh. There are too many questions. I can't do it. But I'm pretty sure I know what it will tell me anyway.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.