Total Posts:87|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Obama's Gay Marriage Flip Flop

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:15:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Obama completely flip flopped on gay marriage. You can't get on Romney for "flip flopping" when you don't get more blatant than Obama's flip flop.

I'm glad Biden cornered him on the issue this week the day after North Carolina passes an Gay Marriage Ban amendment to their state constitution. It's great. He'll lose a lot of ground in the south because of this.

Liberals: Yes it was a flip flop. I have the quotes on my blog to prove it. (here - http://conservativepolitico.blogspot.com...)
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:22:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think anyone respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:28:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:27:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wait, he was actually going to get the southern vote in the first place if it weren't for this!!!

Well, Virginia and NC are both critical swing states. If Romney loses either of those I really dont see him having any chance at all...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:30:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....

I wasn't sourcing the quotes but providing them... there's a difference. I was trying to share them not source them.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:30:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:28:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:27:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wait, he was actually going to get the southern vote in the first place if it weren't for this!!!

Well, Virginia and NC are both critical swing states. If Romney loses either of those I really dont see him having any chance at all...

North Carolina for sure. Didn't he carry this in '08?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:31:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:28:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:27:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wait, he was actually going to get the southern vote in the first place if it weren't for this!!!

Well, Virginia and NC are both critical swing states. If Romney loses either of those I really dont see him having any chance at all...

Yea, i guess that's true. Both states already do have a constitutional ban on same sex marriage. Still I doubt this will be a major issue.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:31:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:31:03 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:28:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:27:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wait, he was actually going to get the southern vote in the first place if it weren't for this!!!

Well, Virginia and NC are both critical swing states. If Romney loses either of those I really dont see him having any chance at all...

Yea, i guess that's true. Both states already do have a constitutional ban on same sex marriage. Still I doubt this will be a major issue.

Same. It's hard to worry about what other people are doing in their own house when yours is getting foreclosed...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:32:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:30:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:28:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:27:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wait, he was actually going to get the southern vote in the first place if it weren't for this!!!

Well, Virginia and NC are both critical swing states. If Romney loses either of those I really dont see him having any chance at all...

North Carolina for sure. Didn't he carry this in '08?

Indeed he did. By a comfortable margin even! That was a shocker for everyone.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:32:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's a rather odd election move, not to mention political one.

He should have just said "Biden is Biden, Obama is Obama" not done a full convert.

This'll hurt much more than it helps.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:35:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:32:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
It's a rather odd election move, not to mention political one.

He should have just said "Biden is Biden, Obama is Obama" not done a full convert.

This'll hurt much more than it helps.

That's one reason I respect Obama even if I disagree with him, he has more than just re election in mind. The healthcare law and keystone pipeline veto to his political career but he did it anyway, I'm of the opinion that if he hadn't done that he would be running away with this election. But I of course know nothing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:39:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:35:08 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:32:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
It's a rather odd election move, not to mention political one.

He should have just said "Biden is Biden, Obama is Obama" not done a full convert.

This'll hurt much more than it helps.

That's one reason I respect Obama even if I disagree with him, he has more than just re election in mind. The healthcare law and keystone pipeline veto to his political career but he did it anyway, I'm of the opinion that if he hadn't done that he would be running away with this election. But I of course know nothing.

No, I'm saying this is a badly executed move regardless of the election timing.

He could have it both ways and let the Dems get enough a majority to save him from actually admitting to changing his opinion.

The biggest motivation I can think of for this is hoping to pivot from the economy by getting Romney to deal with extreme conservatives since tacking to national security.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:39:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not sure it's very much of a flip flop (if it's a flip flop at all); it seems to me he's been trending in the direction of gay marriage for a while. From his book The Audacity of Hope:

"... It is my obligation, not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society but also as a Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to support gay marriage is misugided, just as I cannot claim infallibility in my support of abortion rights. I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God; that Jesus' call to love one another might demand a different conclusion; and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history. I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian. I believe they make me human, limited in my understandings of God's purpose and therefore prone to sin. When I read the Bible, I do so with the belief that it is not a static text but the Living Word and that I must be continually open to new revelations -- whether they come from a lesbian friend or a doctor opposed to abortion."

Hey, that passage gets two thumbs up from me....
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:40:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:30:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....

I wasn't sourcing the quotes but providing them... there's a difference. I was trying to share them not source them.

Can you provide a source?
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:50:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:39:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'm not sure it's very much of a flip flop (if it's a flip flop at all); it seems to me he's been trending in the direction of gay marriage for a while. From his book The Audacity of Hope:

"... It is my obligation, not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society but also as a Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to support gay marriage is misugided, just as I cannot claim infallibility in my support of abortion rights. I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God; that Jesus' call to love one another might demand a different conclusion; and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history. I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian. I believe they make me human, limited in my understandings of God's purpose and therefore prone to sin. When I read the Bible, I do so with the belief that it is not a static text but the Living Word and that I must be continually open to new revelations -- whether they come from a lesbian friend or a doctor opposed to abortion."

Hey, that passage gets two thumbs up from me....

Wow, very good passage!
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 7:57:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Very disappointing indeed. I never expected someone like Obama to be the first president in USA to support same-sex marriage...
Perseus
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 7:59:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 7:57:32 AM, Clash wrote:
Very disappointing indeed. I never expected someone like Obama to be the first president in USA to support same-sex marriage...

Why is this disappointing?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 8:00:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Am I out of line for thinking that he was never against gay marriage but his statements that he was were the political campaign stunt, rather than vice versa?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 8:02:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 7:59:27 AM, Perseus wrote:
At 5/10/2012 7:57:32 AM, Clash wrote:
Very disappointing indeed. I never expected someone like Obama to be the first president in USA to support same-sex marriage...

Why is this disappointing?

Because. It's the gays. And the marriage. And the peters touching peckers and the clams touching tacos. How can he fornicate with his wife, in the dark, in the missionary position, through a hole in the sheet while thinking about all the gay sex going on?

Note:
I don't know Clash or anything about him and this is just an opportunity to rail against the irrational stance against gay marriage in general rather than a personal attack against someone I know nothing about.
Perseus
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 9:08:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 8:00:54 AM, drafterman wrote:
Am I out of line for thinking that he was never against gay marriage but his statements that he was were the political campaign stunt, rather than vice versa?

No.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 9:09:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:15:06 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Obama completely flip flopped on gay marriage. You can't get on Romney for "flip flopping" when you don't get more blatant than Obama's flip flop.

I'm glad Biden cornered him on the issue this week the day after North Carolina passes an Gay Marriage Ban amendment to their state constitution. It's great. He'll lose a lot of ground in the south because of this.

Liberals: Yes it was a flip flop. I have the quotes on my blog to prove it. (here - http://conservativepolitico.blogspot.com...)

Think this may count as spamming. You didn't provide the quotes, you just referred us to your blog. Without the quotes we don't know what you are talking about.

Here are the quotes.

"I believe marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it's also a sacred union." - President Obama (2008)

"At a certain point, I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married." - President Obama (Today)
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 9:11:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:30:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....

I wasn't sourcing the quotes but providing them... there's a difference. I was trying to share them not source them.

You didn't provide the quotes, you spammed a blog containing the quotes
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:40:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:40:04 PM, Cobo wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:30:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....

I wasn't sourcing the quotes but providing them... there's a difference. I was trying to share them not source them.

Can you provide a source?

Yes: http://www.politico.com...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:42:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 9:11:54 AM, DanT wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:30:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:22:25 PM, Cobo wrote:
Stop using your own site as a source, because personally I don't think no one respects it as is...If you make a claim please give an ACTUAL source....

I wasn't sourcing the quotes but providing them... there's a difference. I was trying to share them not source them.

You didn't provide the quotes, you spammed a blog containing the quotes

Spammed? Alright.

President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced his support for gay marriage, addressing the issue for the first time personally since Vice President Joe Biden said on Sunday that he is "absolutely comfortable" with same-sex marriage and Education Secretary Arne Duncan announced his support of gay marriage on Monday. Here's a look back at some of Obama's quotes on gay marriage:
1. "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages," while running in 1996 for Illinois state Senate, in a written response to a questionnaire from Chicago's Outlines gay newspaper.
Continue Reading
Text Size
-+reset
Latest on POLITICO
DCCC chief: House is within reach
Boehner steers clear of marriage fight
GOP leaves debt accord in dust
Arpaio to face lawsuit
Booker: Obama wrestled with heart
Ann Romney: Shock of MS diagnosis

2. "Undecided," while running for re-election to state Senate in 1998, in response to an Outlines questionnaire asking, "Do you favor legalizing same-sex marriage?"
3. "I am a fierce supporter of domestic-partnership and civil-union laws. I am not a supporter of gay marriage as it has been thrown about, primarily just as a strategic issue. I think that marriage, in the minds of a lot of voters, has a religious connotation. I know that's true in the African-American community, for example. And if you asked people, ‘should gay and lesbian people have the same rights to transfer property, and visit hospitals, and et cetera,' they would say, ‘absolutely.' And then if you talk about, ‘should they get married?', then suddenly…" - Feb. 2, 2004, while an Illinois state Senator, in an interview with Chicago gay newspaper, the Windy City Times.
4. "I was reminded that it is my obligation not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society, but also as a Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to support gay marriage is misguided," while a U.S. Senator, writing in his memoir in 2006, "The Audacity of Hope."
5. "The government has to treat all citizens equally. I am a strong supporter not of a weak version of civil unions, but of a strong version, in which the rights that are conferred at the federal level to persons who are part of the same-sex union are compatible. When it comes to federal rights, the over 1,100 rights that right now are not being given to same-sex couples, I think that's unacceptable." - Aug. 9, 2007, while running for president, at a Democratic primary debate sponsored by the HRC and the LOGO network.

Read more: http://www.politico.com...

6. "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God's in the mix." - April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.
7. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that's not what America's about." - Nov. 2, 2008, while running for president, in an interview with MTV.
Continue Reading
Text Size
-+reset
8. "I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act to help end discrimination to help end discrimination against same-sex couples in this country. Now, I want to add we have a duty to uphold existing law, but I believe we must do so in a way that does not exacerbate old divides. And fulfilling this duty in upholding the law in no way lessens my commitment to reversing this law. I've made that clear." - June 29, 2009, as president, at an LGBT Pride Month reception.
9. "I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you're right that attitudes evolve, including mine." - Oct. 27, 2010, as president, in an interview with a group of liberal bloggers.
10. "Every single American — gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transgender — every single American deserves to be treated equally in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of our society. It's a pretty simple proposition." - Oct. 1, 2011, as president, speaking at the Human Rights Campaign annual national dinner.
11. "I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married." - May 9, 2012, as president, in an interview with Robin Roberts of ABC News.

Read more: http://www.politico.com...

Better?
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 12:22:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 7:59:27 AM, Perseus wrote:
At 5/10/2012 7:57:32 AM, Clash wrote:
Very disappointing indeed. I never expected someone like Obama to be the first president in USA to support same-sex marriage...

Why is this disappointing?

What drafterman said. It is really amazing how he knew what my reason was for being disappointed over Obama's choice to agree with same-sex marriage...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 4:28:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can I say that this is a perfectly justified flip flop? Either you can be cynical and state that Obama is trying to appeal to the democrat party voters again (which is unlikely given the climate), or he genuinely changed his mind on an issue over the course of a few years. Bearing in mind a flip flop should lead to a policy change, or reversing a course of action, so far it is simply a change of heart.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 5:20:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:15:06 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Obama completely flip flopped on gay marriage. You can't get on Romney for "flip flopping" when you don't get more blatant than Obama's flip flop.

I'm glad Biden cornered him on the issue this week the day after North Carolina passes an Gay Marriage Ban amendment to their state constitution. It's great. He'll lose a lot of ground in the south because of this.

Liberals: Yes it was a flip flop. I have the quotes on my blog to prove it. (here - http://conservativepolitico.blogspot.com...)

>Bashes Obama for flip-flopping (if you call it that. Ever since late 2009, Obama has said that his views on same-sex marriage are evolving)
>Promptly votes for notorious flip-flopper (Mitt Romney)

How hypocritical.

I don't see why you're so critical of Obama re-analyzing his beliefs on same-sex marriage. It's not like he COMPLETELY flipped flopped his views. If anything, he just hid them for a while if not just moving his position from neutral to affirmation. In 2008, he was against the campaign to end same-sex marriage.

http://abcnews.go.com...

The only reason why I'm so critical of Romney for flip-flopping is that Romney flopped to the polar opposite position for the sake of appealing to the conservative crowd. Nixon's Southern Strategy 2.0
turn down for h'what