Jump to topic:

Obamacare Is Not Conservative

Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:31:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've heard a lot of people say something like "Obamacare is conservative because conservatives supported the individual mandate in the 1990s, the Heritage Foundation endorsed an individual mandate, and Mitt Romney signed a health care reform bill with an individual mandate in Massachussetts".

That is a total misinterpretation. First, Obamacare includes numerous things that none of those previous initiatives included. It includes large tax increases. Mitt Romney nor any any Republicans ever endorsed a tax increase financed health care reform.

Second, it includes an individual mandate. Mitt Romney vetoed the part of the bill that included this (even though it was overridden) and this was always opposed by conservatives.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, Obamacare came from a group of people who supported single payer and saw this as a good first step towards that end. Romneycare came from the perspective of a free market oriented governor who wanted to fix health care with a market.

Now, as to the individual mandate, I oppose it. But, there is a lot more to Obamacare than that. And, it is also a federal bill. So, stop saying it is conservative. It isn't.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:34:15 AM
Most people agree with you
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:35:02 AM
At 5/13/2012 12:34:15 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Some do, but a lot of folks on the left do not.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:35:43 AM
At 5/13/2012 12:35:02 AM, Ameriman wrote:
At 5/13/2012 12:34:15 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Some do, but a lot of folks on the left do not.

Meh
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:37:00 AM
It conserves the idea of needing health care reform in this country. In that sense it's extremely conservative. In the near future we'll need health care reform for the health care reform. So it conserves forever that we will be needing reform for health care.
It also wasn't very liberal with the good ideas. In that sense it was very conservative with good ideas.

So it's kinda conservative...
Debate.org Moderator
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:38:26 AM
At 5/13/2012 12:37:00 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
It conserves the idea of needing health care reform in this country. In that sense it's extremely conservative. In the near future we'll need health care reform for the health care reform. So it conserves forever that we will be needing reform for health care.
It also wasn't very liberal with the good ideas. In that sense it was very conservative with good ideas.

So it's kinda conservative...

Haha.
-Paul Ryan
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 2:59:47 AM
Obamacare was created by a conservative think tank.
It is very similar to Romneycare.
The individual mandate is that core of the bill. And to the claim that it raises taxes, 1) Conservatives are perfectly fine with raising taxes for the poor and middle class (this was made very clear during the payroll tax debacle). 2) Obamacare does not raise taxes; it creates a few new minor ones. But I guess revenue isn't a very conservative concept either. In fact, managing budgets is something conservatives suck at, in general.
Sapere Aude!
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:11:40 AM
At 5/13/2012 2:59:47 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
The individual mandate is that core of the bill. And to the claim that it raises taxes, 1) Conservatives are perfectly fine with raising taxes for the poor and middle class (this was made very clear during the payroll tax debacle). 2) Obamacare does not raise taxes; it creates a few new minor ones. But I guess revenue isn't a very conservative concept either. In fact, managing budgets is something conservatives suck at, in general.

1.) Obamacare was not created by a conservative think tank. That is just incorrect.

2.) The individual mandate is just one part of a massive 2700 page bill.

3.) Yes, they do. The payroll tax cut was meant to be temporary stimulus, it was never supposed to be permanent. It wasn't very effective. Not extending it is not a tax increase. And, before you go to the Bush tax cuts, they were not meant to be temporary. The administration was forced to make the temporary because of congressional pressures and they have been in place for 10 years... so that is different.

3.) Uh, it raises taxes by 500 Billion over the next 10 years.... So, that is just wrong. And, I don't think you should be talking about cons being bad budget managers... especially given how "well" this admin has done on that account.
-Paul Ryan
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:56:11 AM
At 5/13/2012 12:31:13 AM, Ameriman wrote:
I've heard a lot of people say something like "Obamacare is conservative because conservatives supported the individual mandate in the 1990s, the Heritage Foundation endorsed an individual mandate, and Mitt Romney signed a health care reform bill with an individual mandate in Massachussetts".

That is a total misinterpretation. First, Obamacare includes numerous things that none of those previous initiatives included. It includes large tax increases. Mitt Romney nor any any Republicans ever endorsed a tax increase financed health care reform.

Second, it includes an individual mandate. Mitt Romney vetoed the part of the bill that included this (even though it was overridden) and this was always opposed by conservatives.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, Obamacare came from a group of people who supported single payer and saw this as a good first step towards that end. Romneycare came from the perspective of a free market oriented governor who wanted to fix health care with a market.

Now, as to the individual mandate, I oppose it. But, there is a lot more to Obamacare than that. And, it is also a federal bill. So, stop saying it is conservative. It isn't.

You left out the bit about conservatives favoring the 10th amendment; healthcare reform is a state power, not a federal power
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:45:45 AM

If you are talking about DDO, I'm the only guy who said that, as well as Apollo.

It reduces the deficit. Something conservatives *care* about I thought.

Bs. Romneycare was designed by a network of conservative/ right-wing think tanks.

No. Liberals who supported Single Payer national health insurance were pretty much blocked from giving their side of the debate. We supported at the bare minimum a public option, to increase the chance of the US evolving to a Single Payer nation for health care.

I know plenty of liberals who are unsatisfied.

But it is.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:51:39 AM
At 5/13/2012 11:45:45 AM, Contra wrote:

If you are talking about DDO, I'm the only guy who said that, as well as Apollo.

Common myth. New studies are emerging that refute that statement. Also it makes no sense as it adds people to the governments plans. Makes no logical sense. "President Obama's landmark healthcare overhaul is projected to cost $1.76 trillion over a decade, reports the Congressional Budget Office, a hefty sum more than the $940 billion estimated when the healthcare legislation was signed into law."
http://news.yahoo.com...

Bs. Romneycare was designed by a network of conservative/ right-wing think tanks.

No clue on this one.

No. Liberals who supported Single Payer national health insurance were pretty much blocked from giving their side of the debate. We supported at the bare minimum a public option, to increase the chance of the US evolving to a Single Payer nation for health care.

Blocked?

But it is.

http://mittromneycentral.com...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:01:08 PM
http://www.heritage.org...

http://www.buzzfeed.com...

http://www.nytimes.com...

^
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:01:21 PM
At 5/13/2012 11:45:45 AM, Contra wrote:

Okay.

No. That is a common myth.

Right, but Romney vetoed a bunch of sections of it. What Romney supported is very different from Obamacare.

Conservatives who supported market based reforms were also blocked.

But it is.

No, it just isn't.
-Paul Ryan
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:08:04 PM
Did those two coordinate their avatars...?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:11:09 PM
At 5/13/2012 11:08:04 PM, M.Torres wrote:

No. We are just both Reagan fans.
-Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:13:40 PM
At 5/13/2012 11:08:04 PM, M.Torres wrote:

I didn't try too
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:15:05 PM
At 5/13/2012 3:11:40 AM, Ameriman wrote:

1.) Obamacare was not created by a conservative think tank. That is just incorrect.
Sadly for you, the entire concept behind Obamacare is the brainchild of the Heritage Foundation.

It is a crucial part of the bill. If you knew anything about it, you would realize that. So crucial, in fact, that there is a non-sevarability clause attached to the mandate.

3.) Yes, they do. The payroll tax cut was meant to be temporary stimulus, it was never supposed to be permanent.
Defend it all you like. This is the right-wing nuts in favor of raising taxes. And it's obvious why.
It wasn't very effective.
Debatable. But that's besides the point. Trickle-down has DONE HARM. It was COUNTER-productive. But the right-wing idiots still favor it. It's obvious why.
Not extending it is not a tax increase.
That's exactly what it is.
And, before you go to the Bush tax cuts, they were not meant to be temporary. The administration was forced to make the temporary because of congressional pressures and they have been in place for 10 years... so that is different.
Good Sir, I don't give a sh*t.

3.) Uh, it raises taxes by 500 Billion over the next 10 years.... So, that is just wrong. And, I don't think you should be talking about cons being bad budget managers... especially given how "well" this admin has done on that account.
It doesn't raise taxes at all. And 500 billion (remember, this is ignoring benefits), that is about $15.00 a year per person. Compared to the lunacy of the republican years. To them, having to pay for what you spend was a ridiculous notion.
Sapere Aude!
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:19:34 PM
At 5/13/2012 11:15:05 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:

Sadly for you, the entire concept behind Obamacare is the brainchild of the Heritage Foundation.

It is a crucial part of the bill. If you knew anything about it, you would realize that. So crucial, in fact, that there is a non-sevarability clause attached to the mandate.

3.) Yes, they do. The payroll tax cut was meant to be temporary stimulus, it was never supposed to be permanent.
Defend it all you like. This is the right-wing nuts in favor of raising taxes. And it's obvious why.
Debatable. But that's besides the point. Trickle-down has DONE HARM. It was COUNTER-productive. But the right-wing idiots still favor it. It's obvious why.

Lol, your arguments fail when there are full of insults. Here's this.
http://www.econlib.org...

And, before you go to the Bush tax cuts, they were not meant to be temporary. The administration was forced to make the temporary because of congressional pressures and they have been in place for 10 years... so that is different.

It doesn't raise taxes at all. And 500 billion (remember, this is ignoring benefits), that is about $15.00 a year per person. Compared to the lunacy of the republican years. To them, having to pay for what you spend was a ridiculous notion.

That trickle down economics thing was the only thing that bothered me.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:25:59 PM
That trickle down economics thing was the only thing that bothered me.

Want to debate it? Looking strictly at the empirical evidence?
Sapere Aude!
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:34:14 PM
At 5/13/2012 11:15:05 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:

Hardly.

Just because they supported the individual mandate does not mean they support all of Obamacare.

Right. It is important, but there is a lot more to it.

No, its not. It is simply opposing a tax cut... opposing a tax cut is different from raising taxes.

Right. Nobody is arguing for trickle down. Stop using strawmen. And, Obamanomics has done a lot of harm...

No, it is not.

Okay.

Yes. It does. Please, read the bill... if you have time... it raises taxes.

And, the debt has increased far more under Obama than under any Democrat.
-Paul Ryan
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 7:31:36 AM
It isn't endo story
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~