Total Posts:134|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Internet "Piracy"

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:32:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.

Creators should get paid for their work. However, they cannot hold the world to ransom. The price should be reasonable, specially when cost of creating a copy is zero. In my case, I get soft copy of books, if Indian edition of the book is not available. I cannot afford books at US prices, and hence I feel no guilt. The US price is not justified in India since manufacturing costs are also low here.

Banning TPB is not a good idea. There is a huge demand for digital videos. Music industry should use this demand to produce good quality videos at reasonable price and most people will prefer to purchase videos. Ban TPB, and I guarantee that entertainment cartel will increase prices without any focus on quality.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:34:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:32:39 PM, baggins wrote:
At 5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.

Creators should get paid for their work. However, they cannot hold the world to ransom. The price should be reasonable, specially when cost of creating a copy is zero. In my case, I get soft copy of books, if Indian edition of the book is not available. I cannot afford books at US prices, and hence I feel no guilt. The US price is not justified in India since manufacturing costs are also low here.

Banning TPB is not a good idea. There is a huge demand for digital videos. Music industry should use this demand to produce good quality videos at reasonable price and most people will prefer to purchase videos. Ban TPB, and I guarantee that entertainment cartel will increase prices without any focus on quality.

I can relate. The only reason I use TPB is because $60 for a computer game is outlandish.

I don't mind paying for games I really enjoy (and most of the time if I like it that much I'll buy it to support the company) but the prices are robbery.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:46:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

That is not what I expected you to say... Who the heck are you?!

Anyway, they can ban TPB if they want. With software like PeerBlock, as long as there is some way to access torrent files (which there almost certainly always will be) they can't hope to stop it. That's why poor bastards (like the MegaUpload guy) are used as scapegoats; to try and make people afraid.
I download pretty much everything, not just because it's free but because it's more convenient...
My process:
Go up to the top right part of my browser (Firefox) and type whatever it is I want into my Isohunt search engine.
Find a good torrent.
Download it.
Enjoy.

There is literally no process as easy as that.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:46:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

This. For once I agree with Mirza. Also R.I.P. Limewire.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:48:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

Lol. Do you not support patents either or something?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:49:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:48:55 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

Lol. Do you not support patents either or something?

If so, my love for Mirza will be sealed.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:50:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:46:06 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

That is not what I expected you to say... Who the heck are you?!

Anyway, they can ban TPB if they want. With software like PeerBlock, as long as there is some way to access torrent files (which there almost certainly always will be) they can't hope to stop it. That's why poor bastards (like the MegaUpload guy) are used as scapegoats; to try and make people afraid.
I download pretty much everything, not just because it's free but because it's more convenient...
My process:
Go up to the top right part of my browser (Firefox) and type whatever it is I want into my Isohunt search engine.
: Find a good torrent.
Download it.
Enjoy.


There is literally no process as easy as that.

I do this all the time.

Usually with TV, music and games. It is quite convenient. I was forced to start when the disk drive on my lappy busted and now I can't get off it.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 11:19:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:48:55 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

Lol. Do you not support patents either or something?
Nope, not a big fan of intellectual property. How much I support it is unclear to me, so I'd welcome enlightenment on the matter.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 11:27:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 11:19:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:48:55 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

Lol. Do you not support patents either or something?
Nope, not a big fan of intellectual property. How much I support it is unclear to me, so I'd welcome enlightenment on the matter.

No one owns an idea because

a) there's no way to enforce that
b) you can't prove who had it first

Now you can take this as far to either side as you want.

You can say "No own can say I didn't come up with this pirated version of World of Warcraft my self" and negate all copy right rules or you can have a laxer version of it. Either way, I don't fully believe in intellectual property either.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 11:31:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 11:27:39 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
No one owns an idea because

a) there's no way to enforce that
b) you can't prove who had it first

Now you can take this as far to either side as you want.

You can say "No own can say I didn't come up with this pirated version of World of Warcraft my self" and negate all copy right rules or you can have a laxer version of it. Either way, I don't fully believe in intellectual property either.
Indeed. I think intellectual property has an interesting moral standpoint: Rewarding the inventor by tracing his product to its source. But that doesn't justify monopolized laws on IP, and not everything that's moral should be enforced.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 3:35:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
God damn it, reading this thread is making me get a headache. Ok, now first of all, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A FREE GAME If no one buys it BUT no one pirates it as well, then companies will gradually lower the prices until people start buying again, AND they won't have to put DRM on their software because no one pirates it.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 3:47:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:34:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:32:39 PM, baggins wrote:
At 5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.

Creators should get paid for their work. However, they cannot hold the world to ransom. The price should be reasonable, specially when cost of creating a copy is zero. In my case, I get soft copy of books, if Indian edition of the book is not available. I cannot afford books at US prices, and hence I feel no guilt. The US price is not justified in India since manufacturing costs are also low here.

Banning TPB is not a good idea. There is a huge demand for digital videos. Music industry should use this demand to produce good quality videos at reasonable price and most people will prefer to purchase videos. Ban TPB, and I guarantee that entertainment cartel will increase prices without any focus on quality.

I can relate. The only reason I use TPB is because $60 for a computer game is outlandish.

I don't mind paying for games I really enjoy (and most of the time if I like it that much I'll buy it to support the company) but the prices are robbery.

I agree, although i believe that Piracy should not be the alternative to buying.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 4:02:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:32:39 PM, baggins wrote:
At 5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.

Creators should get paid for their work. However, they cannot hold the world to ransom. The price should be reasonable, specially when cost of creating a copy is zero. In my case, I get soft copy of books, if Indian edition of the book is not available. I cannot afford books at US prices, and hence I feel no guilt. The US price is not justified in India since manufacturing costs are also low here.

Banning TPB is not a good idea. There is a huge demand for digital videos. Music industry should use this demand to produce good quality videos at reasonable price and most people will prefer to purchase videos. Ban TPB, and I guarantee that entertainment cartel will increase prices without any focus on quality.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 4:03:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:35:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
If I possess something, I should be able to do with it whatever pleases me. This includes sharing. I don't think the big daddy corporations should receive special treatment so they can generate more revenue to themselves and the governments.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:05:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 3:35:54 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
God damn it, reading this thread is making me get a headache. Ok, now first of all, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A FREE GAME If no one buys it BUT no one pirates it as well, then companies will gradually lower the prices until people start buying again, AND they won't have to put DRM on their software because no one pirates it.

What's wrong with pirating?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:12:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 3:47:37 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:34:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/15/2012 10:32:39 PM, baggins wrote:
At 5/15/2012 5:14:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
How do you feel about it?

Do you think sites like ThePirateBay are criminal or is it a free sharing of information?

Do you use such websites?

Thoughts.

Creators should get paid for their work. However, they cannot hold the world to ransom. The price should be reasonable, specially when cost of creating a copy is zero. In my case, I get soft copy of books, if Indian edition of the book is not available. I cannot afford books at US prices, and hence I feel no guilt. The US price is not justified in India since manufacturing costs are also low here.

Banning TPB is not a good idea. There is a huge demand for digital videos. Music industry should use this demand to produce good quality videos at reasonable price and most people will prefer to purchase videos. Ban TPB, and I guarantee that entertainment cartel will increase prices without any focus on quality.

I can relate. The only reason I use TPB is because $60 for a computer game is outlandish.

I don't mind paying for games I really enjoy (and most of the time if I like it that much I'll buy it to support the company) but the prices are robbery.

I agree, although i believe that Piracy should not be the alternative to buying.

I have a product that I'd like to have, but don't need. Given my current finances and the current price, I'm not going to buy it.

My friend offers give me a copy of his for free.

I accept.

What is wrong with that? I get something I want. There is no harm to my friend (since he is offering it willingly) and there is no harm to the company (as I wasn't going to buy it anyway).

So, no one is harmed, so how could I have done something wrong?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:28:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

Which explains why no one ever created anything until after copyright/trademark/piracy laws were created. Right?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:34:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:28:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

Which explains why no one ever created anything until after copyright/trademark/piracy laws were created. Right?

Well, not to the extent of current movies and video games that take millions of dollars to create.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:35:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

So is it wrong for me to lend a kitchen knife to my friend?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:36:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

I'd hate to see James Cameron have to compete now with a street vendor distributing pirated copies of Avatar. He'll be homeless in a month without a legal monopoly right?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:37:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
See, I was under the assumption that once I purchased something, it would be mine. It no longer belongs to the seller. If this is not true, what is my incentive to purchase anything, and do the things that I give in exchange (like money) still belong to me?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:38:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:34:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:28:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

Which explains why no one ever created anything until after copyright/trademark/piracy laws were created. Right?

Well, not to the extent of current movies and video games that take millions of dollars to create.

And yet it's completely, 100% legal for me to wait until a movie airs on TV, and record it, yet I can't download it off the internet? Or copy it from a legally purchased CD?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:38:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:36:11 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

I'd hate to see James Cameron have to compete now with a street vendor distributing pirated copies of Avatar. He'll be homeless in a month without a legal monopoly right?

Strawman. He wouldn't be homeless, but its unlikely he'd be creating as great of works as today.

He wouldn't of even made Avatar in the first place without the copyright, or not of the quality that we have today.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:42:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:38:25 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:34:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:28:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

Which explains why no one ever created anything until after copyright/trademark/piracy laws were created. Right?

Well, not to the extent of current movies and video games that take millions of dollars to create.

And yet it's completely, 100% legal for me to wait until a movie airs on TV, and record it, yet I can't download it off the internet? Or copy it from a legally purchased CD?

Yet, your not going to wait X amount of years (usually 3-5 years until it comes out on TV) just so you can watch it for free. Also note that a movie doesn't necessarily have to go on TV.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:42:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 11:38:25 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:34:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:28:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:26:38 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/16/2012 11:18:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I agree with Drafter.

This argument could be used to discuss use of ANYTHING. If I need a kitchen knife, am I stealing if I borrow it from my friend or if he gives it to me for free? No. My friend owns it and has the right to give it to me. Is my Professor stealing if he copies passages from a book and distributes it to the class? No, for the same reasons. Why is there something special about electronic items?

Without the guarantee to own their own works, a person isn't going to have the incentive to create it if he/she can't make money off it.

Which explains why no one ever created anything until after copyright/trademark/piracy laws were created. Right?

Well, not to the extent of current movies and video games that take millions of dollars to create.

And yet it's completely, 100% legal for me to wait until a movie airs on TV, and record it, yet I can't download it off the internet? Or copy it from a legally purchased CD?

This is a good point too. It's virtually the same thing.