Jump to topic:

This is sad

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 9:04:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, so as of now in my Geology class, we are learning about the "indisputable fact" of Man-Made Global Warming. Basically, my teacher pretends to make it look like we are learning both sides by showing us the entire Inconvenient Truth documentary, and then portraying the other side of it like their some obscure, conspiracy theorists, that no scientists really agreed with.

-_-

I don't care if there is more evidence for one side than the other, which from what I know of MMGW there really isn't, you don't take a highly controversial topic like that and put one side of the issue as complete fact, while the other is complete ignorance. Whats next, Abortion, Gay Marriage?

Just really sad In my opinion. The worst part is the way they present it, and if I didn't know any better, I would be adamantly believing it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 9:50:30 AM
At 5/16/2012 9:04:14 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Ok, so as of now in my Geology class, we are learning about the "indisputable fact" of Man-Made Global Warming. Basically, my teacher pretends to make it look like we are learning both sides by showing us the entire Inconvenient Truth documentary, and then portraying the other side of it like their some obscure, conspiracy theorists, that no scientists really agreed with.

-_-

I don't care if there is more evidence for one side than the other, which from what I know of MMGW there really isn't, you don't take a highly controversial topic like that and put one side of the issue as complete fact, while the other is complete ignorance. Whats next, Abortion, Gay Marriage?

Suicide ... oh, wait ...

Just really sad In my opinion. The worst part is the way they present it, and if I didn't know any better, I would be adamantly believing it.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 9:54:51 AM
At 5/16/2012 9:04:14 AM, OberHerr wrote:

-_-

Teachers are known to be politically bias on both sides of the isle. Teachers who deal with the environment, sociology, art, and things of that nature tend to be liberal. Teachers who deal with math, economics, business management, and things of that nature, tend to be conservative. Some subjects may be in the middle, with a teacher being either conservative or liberal, depending on the luck of the draw.

State funded environmental science is about as reliable as Nazi funded archeology; their job is to further the state's agenda, so their conclusions are bias.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 9:56:24 AM
Yes, it's frustrating when everyone is taught idiotic 'science' like that presented in "The Inconvenient Truth." I think that's what makes education these days a horrible experience. All the bias.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 9:58:45 AM
In college there will still be bias; I learned after my first year, to choose courses wisely, as to avoid types of courses that would increase the likelihood of getting a liberal biased instructor. Also one of the reasons I switched from behavior science to Business Management.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:02:45 AM
Stay away from sociology in particular if you want to avoid a heavy liberal bias. I can see moderate liberal being uncomfortable in some of those courses. Whatever you do, don't fight your teacher though on political bias. The worst thing you can do is become that perpetual opponent...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:15:27 AM
At 5/16/2012 9:56:24 AM, Mirza wrote:
Yes, it's frustrating when everyone is taught idiotic 'science' like that presented in "The Inconvenient Truth." I think that's what makes education these days a horrible experience. All the bias.

Our Supreme Court need to do what the British Supreme Court did.
The British Supreme Court declared that in order for Al Gore's Inconvenient truth to be shown in British Public Schools, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that
A.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument.
B.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination.
C.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

The 11 inaccuracies are
1.) The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government's expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.
2.) The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.
3.) The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that it was "not possible" to attribute one-off events to global warming.
4.) The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that this was not the case.
5.) The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.
6.) The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant's evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.
7.) The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
8.) The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.
9.) The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.
10) The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.
11.) The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 12:15:40 PM
An Inconvienient Truth is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever watched.

It was a strange mix of incomplete or wrong facts with a sob story biography.

I was forced to sit through that piece of work and write an academic paper on it. Boy was that hard.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 12:39:18 PM
At 5/16/2012 12:15:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
An Inconvienient Truth is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever watched.

It was a strange mix of incomplete or wrong facts with a sob story biography.

I was forced to sit through that piece of work and write an academic paper on it. Boy was that hard.

Why didn't you do an academic paper critizing some of the unscientific claims Al Gore makes. Using the "correlation does not mean causation" argument, explain how warming can increase CO2 emissions, you can show how the chart Al gore shows is bad science.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 12:45:05 PM
At 5/16/2012 10:02:45 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Stay away from sociology in particular if you want to avoid a heavy liberal bias. I can see moderate liberal being uncomfortable in some of those courses. Whatever you do, don't fight your teacher though on political bias. The worst thing you can do is become that perpetual opponent...

I got straight B's in all my Sociology courses. I just could not motivate myself enough to do the song and dance.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 12:47:49 PM
When I was in middle school, they forced us to watch An Inconvenient Truth. Then we had to talk about why global warming was a huge threat to the human race. They never mentioned there was another side to it at all.

Teachers in my school were so liberal though, I was hoping it was an isolated incident. Apparently it was not.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 1:25:46 PM
At 5/16/2012 12:47:49 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
When I was in middle school, they forced us to watch An Inconvenient Truth. Then we had to talk about why global warming was a huge threat to the human race. They never mentioned there was another side to it at all.

Teachers in my school were so liberal though, I was hoping it was an isolated incident. Apparently it was not.

Public school system = liberal

It happens everywhere.

You'll be lucky to find a centrist teacher or a left leaning independent at best.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 1:31:22 PM
Dude this is your chance to raise some hell! Start a hue controversy dawg, it would be hilarious!

kfc
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 1:31:51 PM
At 5/16/2012 1:25:46 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It happens everywhere.

You'll be lucky to find a centrist teacher or a left leaning independent at best.

I had a hardcore conservative teacher once, jealous?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 1:32:41 PM
At 5/16/2012 1:31:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

It happens everywhere.

Yeah well its Texas...you'd be hard-pressed to *not* find conservatives around this joint.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 1:33:13 PM
At 5/16/2012 1:31:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

It happens everywhere.

Yes >.>

My english teacher is Republican but you don't really talk politics in english class.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:08:48 PM
My freshman biology teacher is one of the most hard-core conservatives I have ever met. We all loved his classes due to his Republican rants. He'd go on and on about abortion being evil, global warming being a myth, evolution being the tool of an atheist government and the only reason he couldn't say "the man upstairs" (he worded it that way) is in charge of biology is due to him maybe getting fired for it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, our school has a crazy health teacher who is totally crazy and would explain to us how the government-proposed dietary lessons are all bull and that we will ruin our bodies to follow them. But her job requires her to teach it, but then she'd have "guest speakers" who were her friends who would explain the "real diets" we should follow.

We have some hilarious teachers in my school.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:41:08 PM

My old highschool was the most left wing school in the district. One of my history teachers had us watch a pro-union movie, than explain why unions were a good thing. That same teacher tried to convince me communism was good.
The propaganda teacher, who was head of the history department, also pushed Left wing issues during class, while condemning right wing policies. When the class was debating illegal immigration, I mentioned how illegal immigrants are breaking federal law, and endangering national security; the teacher than told me that I was not allowed to debate the subject. That same propaganda teacher constantly bashed the US, while glorifying china. He said the US had the most capital punishment while china had no capital punishments. The next day I brought in statistics which showed China actually had more capital punishments than any other country.

This same school took a kid to court over a anti-nazi arm band; the court ruled in the school's favor. Governor Wentworth shool district v. Paul Hendrickson, you can look it up.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:43:01 PM
At 5/16/2012 2:41:08 PM, DanT wrote:

My old highschool was the most left wing school district in the state. One of my history teachers had us watch a pro-union movie, than explain why unions were a good thing. That same teacher tried to convince me communism was good.
The propaganda teacher, who was head of the history department, also pushed Left wing issues during class, while condemning right wing policies. When the class was debating illegal immigration, I mentioned how illegal immigrants are breaking federal law, and endangering national security; the teacher than told me that I was not allowed to debate the subject. That same propaganda teacher constantly bashed the US, while glorifying china. He said the US had the most capital punishment while china had no capital punishments. The next day I brought in statistics which showed China actually had more capital punishments than any other country.

This same school took a kid to court over a anti-nazi arm band; the court ruled in the school's favor. Governor Wentworth shool district v. Paul Hendrickson, you can look it up.

I mean district in the state
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:47:36 PM
At 5/16/2012 12:45:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/16/2012 10:02:45 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I got straight B's in all my Sociology courses. I just could not motivate myself enough to do the song and dance.

I'll take a B any day. Slanting papers to the views of the professor is like a regular occurrence for me now.

My old highschool was the most left wing school in the district. One of my history teachers had us watch a pro-union movie, than explain why unions were a good thing. That same teacher tried to convince me communism was good.

Reading this made me wish I was at your HS. I was actually a conservative in HS (holding views very similar to yours now) so we'd have totally tag teamed the teachers. I remember me and my econ teacher basically hated each other. Regardless, it's difficult with that attitude though. I learned in HS not much good comes from it.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:52:36 PM
Hehe.

See gave us a little worksheet to fill out.

One of the questions is "Name five things that shocked you about An Inconvenient Truth."

1. The fact that its being portrayed as fact.
2. That Al Gore is considered a credible source of info.
3. Population rising(he mentions this, and it did sincerely surprise me.....a little)
4. How the people on the "other side" of the issue are portrayed as ignorant greedy conspiracy theorists.
5. That we are watching such a bias a politically charged video in class.

Score one for the Republic! (Starwars BF II quote)

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 2:53:05 PM
At 5/16/2012 2:52:36 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Hehe.

She gave us a little worksheet to fill out.

One of the questions is "Name five things that shocked you about An Inconvenient Truth."

1. The fact that its being portrayed as fact.
2. That Al Gore is considered a credible source of info.
3. Population rising(he mentions this, and it did sincerely surprise me.....a little)
4. How the people on the "other side" of the issue are portrayed as ignorant greedy conspiracy theorists.
5. That we are watching such a bias a politically charged video in class.

Score one for the Republic! (Starwars BF II quote)

Fix'd.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 3:12:53 PM
Anybody watched "The Corporation," previously?

We are watching it in class quite soon.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 3:14:29 PM
At 5/16/2012 3:00:55 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Am I lucky I never had to see this documentary?

Quite. It's just so.....stupid.

I mean, for God's sake, the man who said he invented the internet, and was the VP of Clinton made it!

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:14:04 PM
At 5/16/2012 2:41:08 PM, DanT wrote:

Same here.

Public school teachers are usually liberal yes.

My old highschool was the most left wing school in the district. One of my history teachers had us watch a pro-union movie, than explain why unions were a good thing.

Same here, you could tell by the language my teacher described the Taft-Hartley Act.

That same teacher tried to convince me communism was good.

We had a debate on it in the same class. My side won (Capitalism).

That's messed up. Although I've had a teacher who said that we invaded Iraq because of 9/11. I told the teacher that Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11, 9/11 was caused by al Qaeda and the two Arabic groups are opposed to each other, but my teacher didn't want to hear it.

"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:18:20 PM
That's not sad. It's Capitalism.

Pay to go to a private school or to receive private tutoring and get an education an order of magnitude superior to that which you'd receive from public school.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:29:48 PM
At 5/16/2012 5:18:20 PM, Ren wrote:

Pay to go to a private school or to receive private tutoring and get an education an order of magnitude superior to that which you'd receive from public school.

Why would political bias magically disappear in a private school?

I go to a fancy private school and I can assure you there is no lack of teacher bias.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:32:29 PM
At 5/16/2012 5:29:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 5/16/2012 5:18:20 PM, Ren wrote:

Why would political bias magically disappear in a private school?

I go to a fancy private school and I can assure you there is no lack of teacher bias.

I went to both public and private schools and I have to agree. In fact, I think the political bias is far more prominent in private schools as the teachers don't have as much to fear from the political ramifications of stating their opinions.
Debate.org Moderator