Jump to topic:

Your big Issues in 2012 US election

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:15:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Everyone has different issues that are specifically important to them. I come across a lot of people in my personal life that say they are specifically voting for who they are voting for because of their position on abortion, foreign policy, gay marriage, or anything else. Often it is that one issue that they are voting on.

So what are a few of the issues most important to you in this election?

Although I haven't yet decided who I will vote for yet, these are the issues that most concern me:

1) Expansion of government

In general I'm weary of government becoming too large. I believe it ultimately restricts freedom and harms economic mobility of individuals. Of course I'd like a minimum of social safety nets to protect people and prevent riots and violence, an issue in my town of Milwaukee lately that is due to high unemployment and poverty. But there is only so much the government can do, and I personally don't benefit from it growing so large, and it will eventually reach a point that it is counter intuitive.

2) Small business incentives/disincentives

From my experience, this is much more significant on a state level. In Wisconsin in particular, starting or expanding a small business is particularly restrictive. So much so, that one of the bigger issues here is that once students finish college they simply leave the state and find jobs elsewhere (The brain drain). This is even more true when it comes to business school grads, who will simply look to the far friendlier conditions of nearby Illinois.

Pay role taxes, insurance provision issues, and disincentives for expansion in general, among other things do not make Wisconsin particularly friendly to smaller businesses. This is paramount to it's economic condition, being as they provide an overwhelming amount of the jobs available. The cities in particular (Milwaukee especially) have become depressed and are shrinking as unemployment and poverty have been a direct result from at least a decade of these practices.

At a federal level, I can only say from personal experience that lately the larger companies often seem less likely to invest because they fear more future regulation, and a shrinking return on their investments. This has the affect of ultimately harming the smaller business, and seemingly making it inevitable that all we will be left with are the giant corporations as the only ones that can compete.

3) Social liberalism

I'm pro choice, pro gay-marriage (or perhaps, rather anti-hetero-marriage being recognized by the government as anything more than some type of economic union, which should be available to everyone, with exactly the same standards and incentives for everyone), pro free-speech, pro- pretty much anything that should be left up to an individual, especially when it is an issue of their own privacy or happening in their own hone. In general, I don't believe the government should have any say in these matters, and I am strongly alienated by any politician who insists on imposing their own view points of morality on others. I mean, I respect those who believe that eating pork is immoral, as I don't eat pork, but it'd be crazy for me to insist that others believe, and follow the same (Although I don't believe it's consumption is immoral).

So that's pretty much it for the big issues I'm concerned with. There are a lot of smaller, less significant things, but those are what matters most to me. So if there were a realistic choice of a candidate that is business friendly (both small and large businesses), will offer incentives for smaller businesses to expand, and is socially liberal, that is the guy who I'm most likely to vote for.

So what are the most important issues to you this election?
Debate.org Moderator
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:21:01 PM
You are either Muslim or Jewish.

More likely than not, Jewish.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:21:21 PM
At 5/16/2012 5:21:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

That is my big issue for this campaign ^^^ lol
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:22:28 PM
At 5/16/2012 5:21:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

He's pro gay marriage.

Your argument in invalid.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:25:47 PM

haha :P

You are correct, I am either Jewish or Muslim.

I actually just don't like eating pork since I didn't grow up eating it, and don't care for it now since having tried it... it isn't a moral or religious thing in the least. But I think you are somewhat correct, we will likely not see a Jewish president in our lifetimes.
Debate.org Moderator
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:27:07 PM
At 5/16/2012 5:22:28 PM, Zaradi wrote:

He's pro gay marriage.

Your argument in invalid.

LOL
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:27:21 PM
Ive always been very concerned about healthcare and intervention overseas, but I do always keep an eye out for people who are against late term abortion but pro-choice in any other circumstance. That person would immediately have the best chance to get my support, but alas i havent found that person yet :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:28:44 PM
You sound like you would support Gary Johnson.

My important issues

1) National Health Insurance
2) Taxes/ Economy
3) Environment
4) Social Liberalism
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 5:42:11 PM
My biggest three issues:

1.) Iran-- They cannot get a nuclear weapon. I am not for starting a war, but it should be on the table.

2.) Energy-- We need to utilize all of our energy sources including all domestic drilling and nuclear energy.

3.) Health Care Reform-- We need to repeal the 2010 Health Care Reform bill that will hurt our health care system and is holding back economic recovery.

As you can probably guess, I am supporting Mitt Romney.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:04:55 PM
My list is pretty simple
1) Smarter Government/Rational Politics
2) Energy (slow elimination of fossil fuels, utilization of hydro, nuclear, solar and biodiesel energies)
3) Social Liberalism
4) Cannabis Legislation Reform
5) Global Peace/International-Cooperation

Mitt Romney just scares the living sh*t out of me, sorry.
turn down for h'what
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:32:17 PM
At 5/16/2012 7:04:55 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
My list is pretty simple
2) Energy (slow elimination of fossil fuels, utilization of hydro, nuclear, solar and biodiesel energies)
3) Social Liberalism

Smart Government, Energy, and Drug Legalization are important issues for me too, but are unlikely to be addressed seriously this campaign cycle.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:53:00 PM
At 5/16/2012 7:32:17 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/16/2012 7:04:55 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
My list is pretty simple
3) Social Liberalism

Smart Government, Energy, and Drug Legalization are important issues for me too, but are unlikely to be addressed seriously this campaign cycle.

I thought Obama would be the first chance at real drug-criminalization reform. Since he hasn't done anything positive in that regard, I'm fairly certain this is another issue that is unlikely to change in my lifetime. Similarly to smart government, which I just think is impossible.
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:53:58 PM
Mitt rhymes with Kitt, which is the first syllable in the word "kitten"

Mitt has my vote.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:57:22 PM
At 5/16/2012 7:53:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

Mitt has my vote.

So I can presume cat related issues are your biggest concern in the election?
Debate.org Moderator
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 7:57:29 PM
At 5/16/2012 7:53:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

Mitt has my vote.

Kitty :)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:02:37 PM
a. Lowering corporate taxes to encourage business
b. Repeal Obamacare
c. Cutting back on entitlement spending
d. PASS A BUDGET
e. Gay marriage
f. Strong military
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:24:31 PM
At 5/16/2012 8:02:37 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

And destroy all loopholes. The effective corporate tax rate is 13%.

b. Repeal Obamacare

And replace with you know what.

Ok. Reform Social programs.

Richard Reich sums up my opinion on what we should do for the economy (specifically economic mobility):

"Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit — a wage supplement for lower-income people, and finance it with a higher marginal income tax on the top five percent. For the longer term, invest in education for lower income communities, starting with early-childhood education and extending all the way up to better access to post-secondary education."

Genius. Reform and destroy all the ineffective and duplicate programs, aka "smart government".

d. PASS A BUDGET

Agreed.

e. Gay marriage

Get government (federal) out of marriage. Plain and simple.

f. Strong military

Maintain it. Don't invest in outdated weapons systems or engage in militarism overseas. Of course, the occasional drone attack doesn't hurt.

Ameriman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:29:25 PM
I want a president who will raise taxes.

I want a president who will increase regulations dramatically.

I want a president who reduces economic freedom, because the free market just doesn't work as well as the federal government.

I want a president who does not understand sarcasm.
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:35:11 PM
At 5/16/2012 8:24:31 PM, Contra wrote:

b. Repeal Obamacare

Richard Reich sums up my opinion on what we should do for the economy (specifically economic mobility):

"Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit — a wage supplement for lower-income people, and finance it with a higher marginal income tax on the top five percent. For the longer term, invest in education for lower income communities, starting with early-childhood education and extending all the way up to better access to post-secondary education."

Genius. Reform and destroy all the ineffective and duplicate programs, aka "smart government".

d. PASS A BUDGET

Agreed.

e. Gay marriage

f. Strong military

Maintain it. Don't invest in outdated weapons systems or engage in militarism overseas. Of course, the occasional drone attack doesn't hurt.

You're not as leftist as I thought you were. You're sounding more like a centrist :P
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:39:34 PM

b. Repeal Obamacare

d. PASS A BUDGET

Agreed.

e. Gay marriage

f. Strong military

WE AGREE ON SOMETHING <3
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 8:49:42 PM
At 5/16/2012 8:35:11 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

b. Repeal Obamacare

d. PASS A BUDGET

Agreed.

e. Gay marriage

f. Strong military

You're not as leftist as I thought you were. You're sounding more like a centrist :P

Interesting. I do seem to be more Center-Left.

Center-Left usually refers to policies that are centrist, but leaning to the left. Doesn't include far left ideas.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:14:01 PM
At 5/16/2012 8:49:42 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/16/2012 8:35:11 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

b. Repeal Obamacare

d. PASS A BUDGET

Agreed.

e. Gay marriage

f. Strong military

Interesting. I do seem to be more Center-Left.

Center-Left usually refers to policies that are centrist, but leaning to the left. Doesn't include far left ideas.

Yes that was what I was referring to. You're sounding more like a Bill Clinton democrat lately.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:23:15 PM
1. Education.
2. Repealing fascist right-wing social policies.
3. Repealing the counter-productive, inane right-wing tax policy.
4. Ending the atrocious right-wing foreign policy.
5. Economy.
Sapere Aude!
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:28:02 PM
At 5/16/2012 10:23:15 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
1. Education.
5. Economy.

Really? You can't just state:

taxes
social policy

you have to attack the Right while doing it?

Sad.

Nice attacks, sorry about your d!ck.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 10:57:43 PM
At 5/16/2012 10:54:52 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Nuclear Terror. And hi

Hi

Are you pro or anti nuclear terror?
Debate.org Moderator
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:02:19 PM
At 5/16/2012 10:28:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/16/2012 10:23:15 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
1. Education.
5. Economy.

Really? You can't just state:

taxes
No. I have specific qualms with specific tax policies.
social policy
See above.

you have to attack the Right while doing it?
Where did I attack the right? I would like to see the repeal of right-wing policy. Is this some sort of an attack on the right? You said "Repeal Obamacare." Why are you attacking Obama. Same logic.

Sad.

Nice attacks, sorry about your d!ck.
So you can say "Repeal Obamacare" (which I am fine with) and that is perfectly ok to you, but if I say repeal right-wing social policy, I am "attacking" republicans and I'm a "d!ck."

Wow...
Sapere Aude!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:03:24 PM
At 5/16/2012 10:58:56 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Both. ;D

haha

so just nuclear terror in specific places then? :P
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 11:05:53 PM
1) economy
2) social issues (always)
3) Healthcare
4) guns (always guns)
5) National security
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross