Jump to topic:

Raising the Social Security Cap

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 3:57:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Would raising the SS cap do anything to help the SS deficit problem? Unless I'm mistaken, raising the cap would raise SS revenues, but also increase SS entitlements. If SS were perfectly efficient(our government isn't), then it seems there would be a null effect, but as SS is currently short of perfect efficiency, wouldn't this only serve to increase the problem?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 4:06:38 PM
The Simpson Bowles Commission said the cap should be raised, and benefits modestly cut to expand the life of Social Security.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2012 10:18:42 PM
I support increasing the retirement age.

I also support incorporating individualized accounts in place of or along with SS.
President of DDO
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:13:46 PM
At 5/19/2012 3:57:43 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Would raising the SS cap do anything to help the SS deficit problem? Unless I'm mistaken, raising the cap would raise SS revenues, but also increase SS entitlements. If SS were perfectly efficient(our government isn't), then it seems there would be a null effect, but as SS is currently short of perfect efficiency, wouldn't this only serve to increase the problem?

It would. +1 on the observation.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:19:45 PM
At 5/23/2012 7:13:46 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

So anyone who advocates raising the cap is essentially saying 'raise the cap, but no extra benefits'.

In other words, Robin Hood.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:26:18 PM
At 5/23/2012 7:19:45 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 5/23/2012 7:13:46 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

So anyone who advocates raising the cap is essentially saying 'raise the cap, but no extra benefits'.

In other words, Robin Hood.

I don't know, but that's my stance. And I'm the opposite of Robin Hood.